Coins of the 'Verse...

Originally posted by MattMunson@Nov 28 2005, 11:03 PM
YO, as someone who is really turned on by deep-research related props, I've gotta say that this is one hell of a thread. Great work to all of the folks who rounded these up, especially the dude who started this thread. I'm truly stunned by all the hard work that went into this.

now if only I could get a set for myself :)
[snapback]1124330[/snapback]​

Thanks--it was an interesting experience. Not sure how some people manage to spend years doing the research--I'd go nuts. ahem... :angel

Nice looking coins Jay--most of the coins I've seen are actually better looking than the production coins.

Thanks for splitting the thread--hopefully I can get some better updates posted soon ;)

I have been watching this thread but didn't want to post when it was congested with other topics, now that it's split I think we can take this research to another level.

These coins can cost a lot, even through ebay, so I have decided that to only bid on coins that have been identified.

Once a coin has been discovered I plan on buying a couple for my pouch, since most people don't carry 16 different in their pocket.

I would like to work on the coin ToothTech has called the Fatman coin which is Number 13 on his pictures.

FF_Fatman1.jpg

I can see several matching details between the real coin and TTs.

I have indicated the details with red lines.

FF_Fatman.jpg

I'm pretty confident TT has identified this coin but when I went to ebay to buy one I discovered the unseen side can have many variations

805e.jpg

Can anyone help identify the correct version?

The letters/symbols "inside" the wreath differ on various coins as well--THIS pic is of several fatman coins I recently sold in the JY. Note the different top letter that 4 & 7 have on the back side. Also a good pic to show that even silver colored coins (in this case #5) can photograph very brassy.

From what I can tell of the cap, I think it has 6 characters over the profile. The fatman can occasionally be found with the "solitary" dragon that I believe is on coin #15. This means that the capped coin could be either 13 or 15 (IMO)--the wreath back is the most common, so I'd guess it's probably 13.

The fatman is the only coin that I've got a 100% "onscreen" ID of:
SAFEcoin1.jpg

Thanks to Fried Mon Calamari for pic hosting. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've become very interested in Firefly props recently, and I saw the pic from the "ENVY" thread on another board. A few weeks back, I went to a local flea market, and saw a dealer selling old Chinese coins for a dollar apiece. I remembered seeing Chinese coins from that pic and decided to pick up ten coins.

After checking the first post in this thread, it turns out that seven outta the ten I picked up are pictured in that very pic.

So, at a dollar a coin, did I get a good deal?

Much better deal than I got with most of mine. Most of mine were fairly reasonable but the shipping from China is a killer.....

Welcome to the RPF :)

Originally posted by ToothTech@Dec 2 2005, 07:51 PM
Much better deal than I got with most of mine.  Most of mine were fairly reasonable but the shipping from China is a killer.....

Welcome to the RPF :)
[snapback]1127286[/snapback]​

Thanks. If you're interested, I could go back and see if I can find more.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but since I already have 4 sets..... :lol

The #9 "general" coin is very rare as far as I've been able to see--if you find one or more of those snag 'em. ;)

The #2 isn't visible in the ENVY pic, so I just used a coin I liked--cool to know that it's fairly common though.

The #10 coin could easily be the same coin as #12 (or at least very similar), so that would be a cheap & easy way to snag a couple.

Can you post pictures, I'll will be glad to compensate you if you can get coins I don't have.

Originally posted by blubeetle3@Dec 3 2005, 12:34 AM

After checking the first post in this thread, it turns out that seven outta the ten I picked up are pictured in that very pic.

Originally posted by Boba Debt+Dec 3 2005, 08:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Debt @ Dec 3 2005, 08:58 PM)</div>
Can you post pictures, I'll will be glad to compensate you if you can get coins I don't have.

<!--QuoteBegin-blubeetle3
@Dec 3 2005, 12:34 AM

[snapback]1128043[/snapback]​
[/b]

Unfortunately, no, I can't post pics. I don't own a digital camera and my flatbed scanner refuses to work with Windows XP (a damned shame too as I loved that scanner.)

However, I'll do my best to describe them if you want me to.

Descriptions may not be effective in this case.

These coins have a lot of detail and in some cases many variations.

Originally posted by blubeetle3@Dec 4 2005, 03:38 AM
However, I'll do my best to describe them if you want me to.
[snapback]1128085[/snapback]​

Very nice.

You know, I was just thumbing through a Dixie Gunworks catalog when I saw a couple bags that looked just perfect for the coins:

small - http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info....roducts_id=4110
large - http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info....roducts_id=4112
(A medium size at 5x8 is listed in their print catalog, but I don't see it on the website. )

Anyhow, that led me to remembering these -- they're just a 'titch too little for the 'verse bills, but might be worth a look-see to those interested -
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=183

Very "Firefly-esque" look, bein' historical and all. :)

I don't know as minting coins would be worthwhile at this point, cheap as the Chinese pieces are on eBay.. though I did find one nifty one on there once upon a time -- Chinese on one side, a British Victoria on the other -- just fairly reeked of Londinium. There may well be more up there now -- I'll post a pic later if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by JediLip@Jan 13 2006, 12:55 AM
Great job dr slurpee and Nexus. I have to pick up some more ink for my printer now. :D

Now if we can only find someone to mint some coins. ;)
[snapback]1157675[/snapback]​

I'm hoping to get this thread updated soon, but for now, here's a quick beauty shot of all of the coins I've gathered for my personal collection.....SERENTIY bank notes are Boba Debt prototypes.

AllMyCoinsBeautyShot.jpg

Thanks to Fried Mon Calamari for pic hosting. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Me coins:

(contrast adjusted on all)

heads
Heads_wc.jpg

tails
tails_wc.jpg

I rotated them all along their vertical axis--note how the abverse is not always aligned with the front.

Those I got in the States seem to be aluminum and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were counterfeit, which is fine for Firefly purposes. I think at least some of the ones my buddy brought back from China are authentic--I think there's even silver content in a couple of them.

I really like the two on the bottom: both sides. I wish I had dupes of them.

Here are all my unique ones on some bills:
cash_wc.jpg

And here they all are, including dupes (with a couple from another 'verse just for fun):
cash2_wc.jpg

Thanks wackychimp.

A buddy calls me up this morning & says: "You know those coins you showed me on that prop site you're always going to? I'm at the flea market, & this lady here has a bunch of them."

So I got dressed & drove over there post haste. And I am now happier than a pig in fei hua:

And I couldn't care less if they are counterfeit or not. :D :D :D :D :D

FYI, the photos are laid out to show the coins front/back, front/back.

Originally posted by JediLip@Jan 28 2006, 07:09 PM
What a score Nexus. :eek

You plan on selling any? :love
[snapback]1170639[/snapback]​

What about to share with folks that will gladly tout what a good looking man you are and who will tell you how it's very obvious to see why the ladies all talk about you in such glowing terms? Why just this afternoon, my wife told me of how she read on the ladies room wall that if a woman wants to feel truly satisfied she has only to call on Nexus 6.

:D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, sweet score. You truly are the envy of many.

Fantastic score. :thumbsup

You did real good--the coins with the single dragon (#15 according to my numbering system) have 2 letters on the top, which Boba Debt and I both think is more accurate than the 4 letter coin I have.

Looks like you probably have most if not all of the ENVY coins...plus 1 or 2 extra.... :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back