Cobra Predator - Custom P2 Closed Mouth - 10/06/2012 Final Decent Camera, Decent Pictures

Double H

Sr Member
Hello fellow guys and gals,

I have been planning this for a little while now and have finally got of my ass into gear and started to put design into creation. I have only been throwing clay at this for about 6 hours over 3 days (been trying to squeeze more time in but haven't had it yet). I have been researching mask sculpting for a couple of months (alot of time spent looking at the mastermind that is Usurper lol all hail ... lol and numberous other sculpts that have been made be other members) but I could not decide which pred I wanted to sculpt. After a while, I decided to sculpted my own custom design using the P2 as a base to work on a new Lost Predator concept in which I will call the Cobra Pred. But anyway, here is what I have got so far....

10285-cobra-pred.jpg

10284-cobra.jpg

10286-cobra.jpg

I have only sculpted the basic outline to get a sizing, facial dimensions etc hoping to get a couple more hours of clay slinging in a bit later on today. Obviously, this is still in the early days an bits and bobs are outta place or uneven i.e. the forehead area above the browe area and the lift at the back of the head is slightly off centre but these will be sorted out later.

Any help, comments etc is appreciated. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks for looking

Good start bud. All the basic shapes are there. The brown and chin seem a bit big but since it's a custom piece keep doing what you're doing. That's the beauty of clay. You can always go back and correct things whenever you like.

Think the chin maybe a lil big but it could also be the camera angle. Will be that in mind when I get a chance to sculpt again lol had a spare 5 minutes earlier so i worked on the forehead. Am thinking of leaving the browe like that but blending in in a lil more lol

Thanks for the feedback Tom

Thats the plan :) not sure what an actually full scale one looks like in real life so I have nothing to compare it too. So am making the sizes up and using my 1:1 scale P1 bio as a guide line (y) also average measurements that I have found from other members full scale sculpts have come in handy as well as a tape measure ;)

Thanks man

Good start there Jason......it's reminding me of the Hulk..or the thing from the Fantastic 4
Are you going for a custom?

Yeah, I am going for a custom. Well, thats the plan anyway :)

Does look a lil like the Thing lol didn't think of that.

Done some more work on it tonight - got a spare couple of hours so threw some more clay at it. Will post and update with pictures tomorrow morning. Thats code for I have no idea where the camera is and can't be bothered to look for it.

Looks great so far bro! Not sure if you knew but( I'm sure you probably do, still good info tho), you can heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun to make it softer and easier to push around. Also when you get to the smoothing stage, us 99% alcohol. Just lightly spray the area you want smooth with the alcohol and "sand" it quasi smooth with a green scotch pad(make sure you don't saturate it.) you can further smooth it out with a paper towel, cotton swab or cotton ball(depending on the area). Also Invest in a good rubber rib if you haven't already. Like I said looks great so far! Keep the progress pics comin! (y)

Looks great so far bro! Not sure if you knew but( I'm sure you probably do, still good info tho), you can heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun to make it softer and easier to push around. Also when you get to the smoothing stage, us 99% alcohol. Just lightly spray the area you want smooth with the alcohol and "sand" it quasi smooth with a green scotch pad(make sure you don't saturate it.) you can further smooth it out with a paper towel, cotton swab or cotton ball(depending on the area). Also Invest in a good rubber rib if you haven't already. Like I said looks great so far! Keep the progress pics comin! (y)

Thanks man, knew of the technique but wasn't entirely sure of how to do it ;)

To heat the clay up when before adding to the sculpt, I am heating the clay in a Crock-pot on a low setting. Its quite effective and helps to keep the clay warm whilst not in use (obviously not kept on overnight or all day lol). Once the clay is warm, it seems to stay like that and moveable for a lil while. I was thinking of using a heat gun to heat up later when I go back over it, not too sure the wife would be happy about me using here £100 hair dryer :D

Got some more clay thrown at this for a couple of hours last night. I have moved the lower jar bone back because it didn't look great short. I have added temporary horns on the head but these will be changed and more added etc. I have also added the fins around the head where the dreads go. Also, got five minutes to start refining some larger details i.e. the forehead.

10327-dscf1000.jpg

10326-dscf1003.jpg

10325-dscf1002.jpg

Thanks for looking guys let me know what you think :)

Cheers

moving along quite nicly Jason......shaping into a p2 style crown......brows looking better aswell....good start man

Hello all,

Just a small update. I have been working on 'macking' out the bak of the head to even it out and just filling out uneven spaces. I have also move the centre back fin and it looked uneven to the eye line and centre line of the head.

I have also started to refine details around the jaw area i.e. inside the mouth, tooth holes, the big chin :) etc. If I get a few hours later, am going to try refine a few more details and start on the mandibles.

DSCF1005.jpg

]
DSCF1006.jpg

]
DSCF1007.jpg

DSCF1009.jpg

DSCF1010.jpg

DSCF1010.jpg

I have also ordered some glass eyes so I can sculpt the eye area, so waiting on them.

Thanks for looking guys (y)

How the hell did i miss this thread grrrrr.

looking good there, i like the way its heading, and looks oddly familiar in places , even the clay looks familiar o_O lol.

as always super awesome to see more clay slinging going on, and keep up the progress shots :)

EDIT : just noticed the photos on the desk lol.

How the hell did i miss this thread grrrrr.

looking good there, i like the way its heading, and looks oddly familiar in places , even the clay looks familiar o_O lol.

as always super awesome to see more clay slinging going on, and keep up the progress shots :)

EDIT : just noticed the photos on the desk lol.

lol thanks man

Yeah about the pictures.....

They are one of thousands ;) but these ones are just a brilliant reference as to how to construct the basic shape of a pred head and would recommend these to anyone how is attempting their first sculpt :)

Update - have been working on the sculpt again, evening out the forehead area as I noticed it was a lil lopsided on one side. Refined some outline details on the forehead (like brain outlines?????) and started adding in some outside details around the eyes as well as adding a few smaller spikes/horns to the eye brow. And for the hell of it I throw on some teeth ....

pred2.jpg
pred1.jpg
Pred.jpg
Thanks for looking guys

Something i am not sure alot of people think about but dropping the eyebrows so they angle in more to form a v when looking head on , will make it look so much more evil, you can also thin them as they come in. have them nearly touching his top lip where they meet. :cool:

And i am sure youve noticed the gaps between the teeth are too big.

keep it up, looking gooooooooooooooooood.

i saw some cool bios on the background,........ :ninja: , the head is looking awesome , i hope one day ill do mine :(

Thanks man, there is a P1, AVP and raw P2 in the background (y) .

Something i am not sure alot of people think about but dropping the eyebrows so they angle in more to form a v when looking head on , will make it look so much more evil, you can also thin them as they come in. have them nearly touching his top lip where they meet. :cool:

And i am sure youve noticed the gaps between the teeth are too big.

keep it up, looking gooooooooooooooooood.

Thanks for the tip Lee, was thinking about ways to improve the eyebrow area but didn't think of that so will defiantly use that metjod. As for the gaps between the teeth I noticed this morning funny enough so will also be working on them later on.

Thanks for the great feedback guys, will hopefully get more done later on today.

Hey Man, this is looking great!! I haven't been around much, so I'm late to the party but I'm glad I made it. Can't wait to see more! Keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words man, haven't had much time in the last couple of days :( but got out there tonight so got a lil done.

You sculpt is coming on awesome. We want more. As for the race...... hmmmm.... your on!!!! :p

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back