Cobra Commander

Neon Sentry

Sr Member
I'm already discussing the helmet and it's various intricacies in the Prop Forum, so I thought I might as well start on the rest of the costume inbetween helm advice :)

I'm doing the Valor Vs. Venom version of CC, due to the simple fact that, since it's a 3d-model, it's an easier translation to to the real world. Also, it's badassery times 10 :D

... except it's not quite simple

I plan on sculpting the elbow pads and Cobra logos myself, same as with the helmet. I also have the black under-helmet hood covered. Which means I need some sources for the coat, pants, boots, gloves, and belt/holsters. I know nothing about military garb, so I have not a clue if these were original designs, modified designs, or just copied real-world designs. Considering that the concept art, package art, and figure design all differ from the 3d model, it doesn't need to be 100% accurate, as long as it's the same look

Sorry for the crappy pics... my screen cap progs are all screwy, and a lot of my uploaded screen caps don't seem to work anymore

_038.jpg

pdvd1876fj.jpg

pdvd1809jx.jpg

pdvd1729eo.jpg

Any help from anyone knowledgeable in this kinda gear would be much appreciated, Besides, I've got 8 months to finish this thing :D

Some searches on wool German field tunics (something called M36) has some nice matches for the coat (I assumed it was something German in origin... I couldn't imagine GI Joe's designers putting the world's foremost terrorist leader in American duds) and the style in general... unless someone can find something that's a better match, it looks like that's the route I'm to go :)

EDIT: And the East German Officer's boots should be adequate with some metallic greeblies on a pair of spats

Thanks. I've been having some real trouble with the belt and holsters... especially since CC's apparently left handed

The toy versions all have P08 Lugers, and although that doesn't match the grip seen in his holster, the fact that he never removes his gun seals the deal as far as the Luger is concerned :D

I'm always glad to pimp the sportsmans guide - I've been shopping there for years and found all sorts of awesome stuff for costumes.

Oh, and this is probably obvious, but the gold cording looks like drapery chords to me - you can get the stuff by the yard at any fabric store.

Am I wrong, or is he wearing a pistol on each hip? You might have to do a little leather work to make a belt rig that will cross that way in the back, but I'm sure that Tandy Leather works can hook you up with whatever you need. If you end up going that route, I'd highly recommned springing for the screw-on rivets - I hate the hammer-in ones with a passion. Little bugger never go in right . . . :angry

Looking forward to the progress pics.

I was doing some searching for military unifrom lanyards (using a few dozen different terms) and essentially came up dry... why do I have to keep thinking so literally?

First item that popped up on eBay for gold drapery cords was a perfect match... not as thick, but if it were, it'd be rather unrealistic (moreso than it already is) and uncomfortable to boot. I'll have to pick up some of that stuff when I get the chance :D

Actually that's a pouch on his right side. I took a few dozen caps last night that didn't end up working, but that was one of the details I managed to nab during my frustration :)

I figured I'd have to do a custom rig for the holsters/pouches, so having that reaffirmed just saved me a ton of time in searching. Hopefully I can grab some materials for the helm today so I can get started on that... the sooner the helm is completed, the sooner I can start aquiring the costume itself and get out of the research phase

Originally posted by Neon Sentry@Feb 15 2006, 02:34 PM
I was doing some searching for military unifrom lanyards (using a few dozen different terms) and essentially came up dry... why do I have to keep thinking so literally?
[snapback]1185183[/snapback]​

haha. If you want to learn to think about costumes and props in unorthodox ways, try hanging out behind the scenes in community theater. People who regularly work on tight budgets and limited resources find some really innovative ways to get "the look" - whatever that may be for any given project. ;)

I saw a guy make a pair of rapiers out of oak dowels and salsa bowls, once. :eek they worked out great, too.

I'm used to doing that kinda stuff, but not when it comes to anything cloth related. Anything uniform related is a mystery to me, so I find it hard to operate outside of the box on that one

But if we're talking about blasters... ;)

The winning answer for all things fabric is just to go to the fabric store and start browsing. You'd be amazed how many people there would have no problem helping you with any kind of costume project.

The same thing tends to be slightly less true for army navy stores.

Something else I just thought of, the term you needed to use for the lanyard parts was "aiguillette."

Just FYI.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back