Coating over the top of Styrene

Droid

Is there any kind of gloss coat that would be safe for use on the body of a styrene prop? I have had it as just plain untreated styrene for a while, but wanted to be able to SHINE it UP... I know some kinds of spray paints, but I was hoping for something with a bit more substance like a gel coat that wont eat away at the styrene

Honestly, I've never had issues with adding paint onto styrene. Throw some primer on there, add a gloss coat of paint, add a layer of clear would be my advice.

If it's something that you don't want painted you could just put a non-cheap clear coat on it. On cars they spray layer after layer of clear to build up a height, same idea, just hopefully on a much smaller scale.

If it's something your really worried about do a test piece real quick.

Hope that helps

Honestly, I've never had issues with adding paint onto styrene. Throw some primer on there, add a gloss coat of paint, add a layer of clear would be my advice. If it's something your really worried about do a test piece real quick.

Hope that helps
the main reason is there are a lot of scuff marks and such on the bare styrene (its an r2d2) and I want to be able to wipe off the marks in the future. As of now most of the marks make him look worn, but clean looks without making new frames would be nice....

the main reason is there are a lot of scuff marks and such on the bare styrene (its an r2d2) and I want to be able to wipe off the marks in the future. As of now most of the marks make him look worn, but clean looks without making new frames would be nice....

Well then I would go with that Idea. Put a coat of primer on it, and add the paint. Whatever you want to do with the finish, make it nice and pretty or make it scuffed up, and put a clear on it. If you want it nice use a regular clear. If you want it to look scuffed up and abused, add a flatning agent to the clear and spray it. It will have that protective layer of clear, but won't be shinny.

Personally, I recommend Omni. I sprayed a motorcycle fender, currently working on the rest of the tins, with Omni. I have no idea how much surface area you want to cover, but I recommend only getting a pint of paint, and as small amount of clear as you can.

310714_10150454125823834_656198833_10223783_1051530226_n.jpg

I don't know if you already have a spray gun, or have used one so I'll just add this part on.

I will say this, it can be a small or a big investment depending on your financial situation. I know it sucks, but buy 1 color first, test it. If it eats the styrene then you didn't waste a lot on paint, if it works go buy the other colors if there are any, test those, and then if that works buy the clear, test that. Harbor Freight spray gun if you don't have one, and some cheap omni paint and you open new doors. Spray can clear can't compare to a catalyzed clearcoat, and you also gain the ability to add effects like flatening agents etc.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back