Coating EVA foam to be heat resistant/heat proof

monks19

Hello all. I'm new here (and at cosplay making) and I could use some help, if possible. Recently I built myself a EVA foam form fitting mannequin. I want to be able to heat form EVA foam and worbla accessories on it in the future. Is there a way to provide some kind of heat protection (especially because of heat gun) ? I thought that maybe a fiberglass coating of some sort might be able to provide hard protective coating that I'm looking for ?

What's your opinion on this ?

Thanks to let me know.

Last edited:
Do a little experiment. Mock up a section of foam in a form such as a shoulder. Then try different techniques. I would start w/ some heavy duty aluminum foil and then try different materials until you find what will work. Heat your foam first then form it over your form. If you heat the form it will distort. Good luck

Do a little experiment. Mock up a section of foam in a form such as a shoulder. Then try different techniques. I would start w/ some heavy duty aluminum foil and then try different materials until you find what will work. Heat your foam first then form it over your form. If you heat the form it will distort. Good luck
I tryed the Alluminium (alluminium tape, actually). Sadly, it doesn't stick to the foam. Any succestions on that part ?

Contact cement and foil. Use the heavy duty variety.You should be able to get it to conform to your foam. Look for headliner glue in spray form.This should sped it up as opposed to brushing it on.

Contact cement and foil. Use the heavy duty variety.You should be able to get it to conform to your foam. Look for headliner glue in spray form.This should sped it up as opposed to brushing it on.
With your experience, do you know how many layers of alluminium would you recommand for this ? If not, I can always test it out with some scraps of eva foam. Also, do you consider alluminium foil tape like this to be hevy duty enough or do you have someting more specific in mind ?

I would think that the heavy duty foil you find at the market would be fine. I would do as you said, try one layer and add more if needed.
Update. The heavy dudy foil didn't work. It's still too soft (after 5 layers of foil sheets). Any other suggestions ? I thought that maybe cotton cheese clotn and wood glu/modge podge could work, Then the alluminium foil. Only problem, the cotton cheese seem a bit too fishnet to work properly.

Any other suggestions/recommandation would be welcome

Sorry it did not work. I have to ask why you want to form the foam on a mannequin. I heat form over a round porch light globe. Most shapes can be formed this way or free hand, once softened by a heat gun. I do not see the advantage of using the mannequin form. You could try plaster of Paris and burlap, like a cast for a broken arm. It would be easy to shape. I just do not know if your foam and substructure would be strong enough to hold it.
Check out you tubers, Raw Kustoms, Odin Makes, Evil Ted, etc. These guys seem to be able to shape foam in many different ways.
Do not give up, you'll get there.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back