CO 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Modification

Felgacarb

Sr Member
Seeing as how there just haven't been enough threads on sonic screwdrivers around here...

I'll assume anyone reading this is not only familiar with, but owns one or two of the Character Options toy 10th Doctor sonic screwdrivers. (Why wouldn't you? They look good, they are reasonably priced, they have lights and sound... [unless you've not been watching Doctor Who- ])

The only real issue with the toy is the size. As has been pointed out before, and can be seen clearly in this great photo stolen from ectrophy:

ectropy-CTCO-10.jpg

Mostly, it is just too darn long. I've found at least one other thread here where someone has attempted to shorten the toy- this was d_jedi1's version:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/c-o-9-10-sonic-screwdriver-minor-upgrades-89309/

I chose to go a bit further.

The pictures below are not for the timid- they depict graphic dremeling and hacksawing to a poor plastic toy!

Initial dis-assembly:
CO-mod-10th4.jpg

To make the sonic as short (or at least much closer) as the actual prop, but keep the lights and sound working in the same way, you have to not only shorten the outer tube, but the inner one as well.

Outer tube:

CO-mod-10th11.jpg

The trick is to reduce the size of the battery compartment. If you remove the intermediate contacts, you can barely cram three batteries in the space originally required for two:
CO-mod-10th14.jpg

CO-mod-10th16.jpg

Then you need to get a little more room inside the outer tube- this was also done with a dremel. (Mostly with a very small sanding wheel.)

Finally the end part needs some trimming to fit, as well.
CO-mod-10th18.jpg

If I had cut the pen's tube too, I could have kept it, but I never write with it, so it was removed instead.

Here's where I ended up:
CO-mod-10th23.jpg

CO-mod-10th24.jpg

Still functions the same way as the toy (for better or worse) now, it's just shorter.

Thanks for looking!

sweet!
I didn't have it in me to mess with the battery Compartment but that looks great and probably works better than what I did.
I actually had to hollow out the part going back into the pen nub so the battery bit would still fit. :lol
(leave it to me to take the harder route.) :unsure

Fun stuff. I stuck a one channel RF remote from lightobject.com in one of those toys this morning to make a quick and dirty remote control for one of the controls on the screen used TVM console to give it a bit of interactivity at the Gallifrey convention in 3 weeks - the receiver is being installed inside the console tomorrow morning.

With a bit of dremeling the whole remote fit inside the sonic, just needed to relocate the battery, switch and LED with a couple of quick jumpers. If I had the luxury of extra time I probably could have played Tetris with the few used components to fit the remote into your cut-down job or even in the extending battery box.

But, all things considered, not bad for an hour in the morning.

10990-sonicremote-open.jpg

--Brian

Does anyone have a link on here to the plans/dimensions of the prop? I am really wanting to machine one from scratch and have searched and searched and most of what I found was people arguing about the accuracy of all of them. I am wanting to machine one as accurate as possible and even put some electronics in it too.

Thanks in advance.

I share your fear lol. I started to break some glue just about the button, then i realized i'd probably ruin it and i stopped to see if anyone had done this successfully. Maybe we could find broken ones in the junkyard so we don't have to worry? Anyways i really like your mod and hope to start one something similar. :)

Felgacarb: Can you post a picture of your battery compartment post-mod? I'm moving the button from the side to the square(ish) slider, and i'm stuck of what to do with the battery cover. Thanks for the time and inspiration for me to do my mod :D
EDIT: Oh, and the back of the body sans pen nib :)

Last edited:
I'd like to- I have to work up the nerve to break the glue bonds, though. There is a good chance that the clear plastic parts will be damaged if I attempt it...

Do you happen to know what kind of glue is used for stuff like that? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm afraid of using super glue as there's always that white residue left over after it dries.

Hi I need your advice in this mod,

OK I was successful doing this

but when I tryed your mod I could not get the battery compartment to work.

have you done more of this mods, perhaps you could do this mode for me if I send you some sonics maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not get the battery compartment to work.

have you done more of this mods, perhaps you could do this mode for me if I send you some sonics maybe?

Wow, nice button relocation mod! I may have to try that, too! I'll see if I can post some better pictures for you and jazzygeoffery...

Here are a couple close-ups:

There isn't any real trick to making the batteries fit, it's just filing out enough room inside the end of the sonic (you have to lose the pen) and cramming three batteries in the modified compartment for two...

Last edited:
you know theres a way to move the button to the slider without any rewiring. all you have to do is drill a super small hole immediately above the button and use the prongs of the slider as the button. thenn all you do it turn it sideways and screw it back on easy as pie

you know theres a way to move the button to the slider without any rewiring. all you have to do is drill a super small hole immediately above the button and use the prongs of the slider as the button. thenn all you do it turn it sideways and screw it back on easy as pie

Really? Nice tip! I'll have to give that a try...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back