CNC vs 3D Printing vs Casting?

Tsunemori

I'm trying to make something along the lines of the Amiibo pictured below, but I can't figure out what method would be the most efficient to make something so boxy and with so many edges. I'm leaning towards some kind of milling or subtractive process, but I didn't know if anyone had experience making something similar using 3D printing, or if casting something like this would be more simple.
41FcbAFXKhL_large.jpg

I guess it depends on how deep you want to go with your Amiibo. Do you want a 2D representation a few millimetres thick or a blocky 3D model. You can go either way. CNC or 3D printer with the printing being probably much cheaper and cleaner. A casting would need a master pattern.
There is another way. Perhaps a local craft store may have wooden blocks already cut. Perhaps even a toy store. Assemblîng and painting them would be a quick solution.

TazMan2000

Thanks for the response.

I'm going to do a 3D blocky style. I've actually already got some wood blocks and have been working with them, but I want to try to find a way to take my designs and copy them.

Can a 3D printer create sharp edges better as an additive technique than a milling machine could as a subtractive process? Would it depend on the material?

Yes, a 3D printer can create sharp edges. PLA would be the material that would be the cheapest and the easiest to do this with. Depending on size, of course.
After you create the master, you can create resin copies by casting, but you would have to ensure the PLA is sanded and sealed to create the best finish.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back