CNC r2d2 and arduino electronics

Droid

Ive posted many tutorials for CNC and r2d2, but now the droid is about finished. I am posting a rather inexpensive way to add sound to your droid or any other prop using an arduino board and an rMp3 shield from rogue robotics. I also have a voice activation chip I will be using for some other effects. Electronics Sound and Voice control – CNC and R2D2

Wes

Dude you are a one man astromech machine. Wish my CNC project hadn't fallen through
what happened to your cnc project? I havent been on here in a while, but were you getting one of those AJ Quick machines? Has anyone got them yet?

Last edited:
So I have the voice recognition chip, and it appears to work fine. What would be your suggestions on voice commands for a full sized R2? I have ruled out movement, since that could be dangerous, but head movement is fine.... I was thinking of mimicking some of the functionality of the voice activated r2, but not sure.... currently my left control stick plays a random sound if I move it up. if I move it down, it plays a random music mp3... My initial thought is that when the left stick is down, it is in listening mode, and I can command r2 to play a specific sound, or answer a question such as WHO IS DARTH VADER...... thoughts welcome.

wes

"Hey Artoo" - looks right.
If you're to the left, "No, over here" - looks left.

:)
the problem with that is the VRBOT recognition system has only 1 microphone... the directional thing has me baffled.... unless I always stand on the left when I say it, LOL

Ive posted many tutorials for CNC and r2d2, but now the droid is about finished. I am posting a rather inexpensive way to add sound to your droid or any other prop using an arduino board and an rMp3 shield from rogue robotics. I also have a voice activation chip I will be using for some other effects. Electronics Sound and Voice control – CNC and R2D2

Wes

Interesting, but you have an Ardulino and a separate MP3 player right?

The Netdulino board is pin compatible but has a much faster chip (they use the $3 version, not the $2 or something :). So maybe that could push out MP3 on its own.

I am going to be trying this in my Dalek voice modulator project. If I can take microphone input, futz it with a simulated bridge and push it out again then it should be possible to just play sound.

Of course it would also require a Mic in and a line/headphones out. So maybe not any cheaper overall.

The Netdulino is designed for coding in .NET, but it should be possible for people who want to use plain C to do that instead. I prefer to work in .NET as thats what I use for other projects.

I like the Rougue electronics site though. Lots of tasty stuff there. May be buying some but just dropped a bundle at ADAfruit on displays.

Ive played around with the voice recognition chip, works great... want to hook it up to the motor control so the r2 can make sounds and do some head animations at the same time...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back