CNC machines - who's got one and what you got? (networking)

godproject

I just bought my first CNC machine, and have begun assembling it. I was wondering who else has one on the board, and how do they use it? What props do you make? What programs do you use...prefer...hate? I personally have access through school to Solidworks and Mastercam. I've played with come other CAM and CAD programs, not to mention 3d modeling programs for the last...oh 20 years. I love the stuff. So I took a 2 year program at a trade school where I live for CNC machining. Then I bought a machine with a 2' x 3' work area. 8" on the Z I believe. I really don't plan on working on anything harder than aluminum, and just wanted to get it to build props and art. So I wanted to see what other pipelines and experience this site has.

I have a 1960 knee BP with an acu-rite 3 axis. Started my own company and make quite a few things, arrows for the green arrow, working on a double action otf stiletto from the x files, just completed a project I cant talk about yet and have a project for the next 54 days for a studio, that I also cannot talk about yet. Not trying to be evasive but I truly am working under an NDA. I also have an FFL and do that kind of work, but not here on this site as it would violate the Terms of service. Um, light sabers and sonic screwdrivers. I use Bobcad V24 with high speed pocketing and a few other add ons. Don't like it. Haha

No machine of my own but I was just checked out on the Tomach CNC mill at my local TechShop and can start learning how to use it as soon as I have thought of a project for it.

I built a CNC router table 5'x10' with 3 axis plus rotary (total 4 axis). The Z travel is about 16". I use it for all sorts of things, but mostly making medieval furniture for my business. I do lots of prototyping for people when I am not behind on orders. I also started an IM statue project to help learn how to use the 4th axis rotary. The project has taken way too long to finish, but it is almost done. The software I use is Solidworks, 3dsmax, and Deskproto. The software was more than the machine.

I also have a 4x4 CNC plasma machine that I use to cut parts for my furniture (black iron parts for throne chairs).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back