cnc and 3d printer, perfect combination

Droid

So I have set yet on another r2d2 build. My last R2 was donated to Make a wish, and time to make a new one... I am doing this one completely from scratch, no bought parts, but I am cheating a little, CNC machine for the body and 3d printer for the detail parts... 2 dream machines for prop making! here is my latest 3d printed part..
WP_000194_display_small.jpg

and the new r2 body..

WP_000188.jpg

all of my 3d printable designs will be available on thingiverse.com
About wthierry - Thingiverse

and on my blog CNC and R2D2 – Building is back on! 3D Printing sets you free!

Looks great. Seeing one of these builds always makes me want to build my own.

Its not out of reach, if you contact Frank Pirz, he can make you the complete parts that are the body of r2, the detail parts can be purchased on ebay or through r2builders . its not that difficult to acquire them, and if you choose plastic over metal it can fit into a tight budget.....

I may look into doing that at the beginning of the year. I checked out your blog, and then followed the link to Frank's page. I had previously thought about doing a frame out of wood. Already have the blueprints, but his frame would be so much faster... and I no longer have a workshop since I moved. Might be the best route.

Its not out of reach, if you contact Frank Pirz, he can make you the complete parts that are the body of r2, the detail parts can be purchased on ebay or through r2builders . its not that difficult to acquire them, and if you choose plastic over metal it can fit into a tight budget.....

Printed the other one, out of white plastic, had to go green.... both need sanding primer and blue paint, but they are extremely light and strong!

WP_000196.jpg

I read a post on here about someone that had finished fine tuning their 3D printed parts and was in the process of getting the OK to sell them on the RPF. I have been looking but I cant find the post I saw this in. If anyone knows the post I am talking about please post a link for me.

** I found the info, its on the astromech.net site. If anyone is interested here is a link Astromech.net Forums but you must be a member to view. Looks like some nice parts at a fraction of machined parts cost.5JOpG1M.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back