Limited Run CLOSED - ESB Hoth Scanner Metal Plates and "Jigsaw" Pieces

Cantina_Dude

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
List Closed! I have ordered enough to cover everyone who expressed interest as of Jan 27, 2022.

Hey gang!

I am finally getting close to running the laser cut metal upper and lower "plate" pieces along with the "jigsaw" parts seen on the "Hoth Scanner" prop several folks have been piecing together. I have spent quite a bit of time refining the perspective matched 3D model I've put together of the completed prop to try and get the design of each part as accurate as possible.

Hoth_Scanner_Metal_Laser_Cut_Parts.png

Hoth_Scanner_Metal_Laser_Cut_Parts_3D.png

So people will need 2 upper plates and 2 lower plates and 8 "jigsaw" pieces (4 on the front, 4 on the back) to detail their Hoth scanner. Note that all the screw holes will need to be countersunk so that will be up to the purchaser to sort out, or perhaps I can offer that service at an additional cost (so long as there aren't too many folks requiring that). Appropriate nuts and bolts to secure the parts can be offered for an additional cost of about $10 USD IF everyone participating in the run signs on for the hardware. I will be able to share an STL of the little lens pieces that are held in the clusters of the "jigsaw" parts (green and blue on the front of the prop, and yellow on the back of the prop) so folks can take care of printing their own, or an enterprising person could offer them for others!

The prices I have listed below do not include the shipping charges from the laser cutting company to me, nor do they include shipping from me to each of you, so please keep in mind that there will be that on top. These prices are just estimates at this point and could fluctuate slightly up or down depending on the level of interest, but they should give you a basic idea of costs.

Upper Plate in 4.7 mm 5052 Aluminum:
$3 x 2 pieces = $6 USD

Lower Plate 1.6 mm 5052 Aluminum:
$3 x 2 pieces = $6 USD

Jigsaw parts 1.0 mm 5052 Aluminum:
$3 x 8 pieces = $24 USD

Jigsaw parts 1.2 mm Mild Steel (would come unplated):
$4 x 8 pieces = $32 USD

I need to get a sense of the numbers of each piece I should be running so please post your interest below, and be sure to specify if you want aluminum or mild steel jigsaw parts!

Screen nameUpper Plates 2 pcsLower Plates 2 pcsJigsaw Aluminum 8 pcsJigsaw Steel 8 pcs
3DImpact111
bobasfett2211
Dagobah Don111
ecojedi83111
Fekali111
kurtyboy111
lonepigeon1111
ModelBuilder111
Mr_Sparkle222
OdiWan722221
Prophunter111
Rafite2211
shaggy13111
StarWarsDave11
TatooineMachine111
teecrooz111Countersunk
cdyoung111Countersunk
enaswede111Countersunk
Max Replica111Countersunk
Red Hawk111Countersunk
Saranac111Countersunk
DarthWilder221
1​
Countersunk
Edraven99111Countersunk

UPDATE - March 14, 2022

The laser cut metal parts have arrived! I will need to take some time to sort through them all and figure out who is getting what, plus sort out what it will take to do the countersinking for those people who requested that. But in the meantime, here are a few photos showing the pieces temporarily taped into place on one of my soap dispenser shells to give you a sense of them!

8A839A79-CF6A-4968-A356-C0CADBC183A4.jpeg

F7C6F3E7-8390-4864-96A7-7744A6744D43.jpeg

A8DFE168-D6DF-4DF2-A494-F2014CF69854.jpeg

68AB4D56-95A0-4969-ABC8-2945B708937D.jpeg

8A8626A9-7746-45C4-8A3B-C2F79DA45BDD.jpeg

UPDATE - March 15, 2022

I have sent PMs to everyone who expressed interest for parts WITHOUT any countersinking services to confirm the particulars of their order and request their shipping information. Please check your messages and respond with the requested info ASAP so I can get these out the door to you. That includes 3DImpact, bobasfett, Dagobah Don, ecojedi83, Edraven99, Fekali, kurtyboy, lonepigeon, ModelBuilder, Mr_Sparkle, OdiWan72, Prophunter, Rafite, Red Hawk, shaggy13, StarWarsDave, TatooineMachine, and teecrooz.

The five folks who requested countersinking on the parts, I will have to get into the shop to figure out how long it will take to do each order so I can give you each a cost. I will contact you as soon as I have that sorted out and we can get your shipping costs quoted and organize payment. That includes cdyoung, enaswede, Max Replica, Saranac, and DarthWilder. So keep an eye out for a message from me and be ready to roll in the next week or so.

Last edited:
TWO full sets please!

But I´d recommend to check the thickness of the jigsaw pieces vs. the lower plates.
I agree on the 1mm for jigsaw, but the angled plates should be thicker (at least 1,5mm)

You have a set of real dispensers for reference IIRC, correct?

What are the plans for the blue/ green inserts?
Will we have them 3D printed?

THANK YOU for managing the run :)

But I´d recommend to check the thickness of the jigsaw pieces vs. the lower plates.
I agree on the 1mm for jigsaw, but the angled plates should be thicker (at least 1,5mm)
Right you are! That was just a typo in my post. The lower plate will be cut from 1.6 mm aluminum. (y)

You have a set of real dispensers for reference IIRC, correct?
I do indeed and they were the foundation of my 3D work!

What are the plans for the blue/ green inserts?
Will we have them 3D printed?
I mentioned in my first post that I will make the STL available for the lens pieces (or inserts as you call them) so people can 3D print their own or if someone wants to produce them in numbers for other people, that would be great!

Thanks Dude. I'm in for a set at this point but had a materials question. On the jigsaw pieces, the originals are chrome plated....most likely steel. Any chance we could get them done in steel so those that want the chrome plating can get that done afterward? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Dude. I'm in for a set at this point but had a materials question. On the jigsaw pieces, the originals are chrome plated....most likely steel. Any chance we could get them done in steel so those that want the chrome plating can get that done afterward? Thanks in advance!
I had asked in one of the discussion threads about this prop a while back what materials people would prefer for the various people and everyone said aluminum so that's all I listed for each of the parts. I can certainly have the jigsaw pieces cut from mild steel (1.2 mm thick) so long as people understand that they won't come plated or galvanized or whatever, just raw mild steel. It's possible I could find a local plating service who could do a batch of them, but I have no experience with that nor have any sense of what the cost might be. At this point all I can really offer is either raw 5052 aluminum or raw mild steel.

The cost for having them cut in mild steel is only slightly more per unit than the aluminum, probably coming in at about $4 per unit ($32 for a set of 8) so let me know which option you'd prefer!

I had asked in one of the discussion threads about this prop a while back what materials people would prefer for the various people and everyone said aluminum so that's all I listed for each of the parts. I can certainly have the jigsaw pieces cut from mild steel (1.2 mm thick) so long as people understand that they won't come plated or galvanized or whatever, just raw mild steel. It's possible I could find a local plating service who could do a batch of them, but I have no experience with that nor have any sense of what the cost might be. At this point all I can really offer is either raw 5052 aluminum or raw mild steel.

The cost for having them cut in mild steel is only slightly more per unit than the aluminum, probably coming in at about $4 per unit ($32 for a set of 8) so let me know which option you'd prefer!

Thanks Dude. I’d like mine in steel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back