Clone Wars spin off “The Bad Batch” series discussion thread

Fun episode. My son wants a video game of that racing circuit.

Shocked to see in the credits that Ernie Hudson did the voice of the large gangster.
Ooooh! I knew the voice, but I was kinda thinking it was Kieth David. Now that you mention it, that makes sense.

I really enjoyed this one too. Nice that Tech got his own episode.

I didn't really care for the pod racing episode. Beyond cliche predictable everything. Also I guess I thought Anakin was special as he was the only human who could do it/ humans needed Jedi reflexes to be able to do it. Tech just walked in and not only could do it immediately despite being human with no connection to the force, won the race. These kinds of things just get old.

I didn't really care for the pod racing episode. Beyond cliche predictable everything. Also I guess I thought Anakin was special as he was the only human who could do it/ humans needed Jedi reflexes to be able to do it. Tech just walked in and not only could do it immediately despite being human with no connection to the force, won the race. These kinds of things just get old.
Tech also spent most of the episode actively analyzing past races and looking for patterns/advantages they could exploit. The droid pilot was just too arrogant to understand that a human could bring anything to the table.

Canon wasn't violated because what they did wasn't pod racing, it was a different form of racing. This was done on a closed circuit race course whereas pod racing is done mostly out in the middle of nowhere. Think of it as the difference between NASCAR and rally racing.

I never got that humans couldn't podrace, just that by their nature, it made it very dangerous for them to do so because such high reflexes are necessary. Anakin says he's the only human who can do it, but Anakin is a 9yo slave on an Outer Rim dustball... how many humans does he really know?

I never got that humans couldn't podrace, just that by their nature, it made it very dangerous for them to do so because such high reflexes are necessary. Anakin says he's the only human who can do it, but Anakin is a 9yo slave on an Outer Rim dustball... how many humans does he really know?
Add “Arrogant, cocky little snot face” to the list as well.

Entombed was a typical filler episode. Treasure hunt, goes sideways, escape with nothing but the experience and back to where they were.
But it was still fun and we saw more character growth for Omega. She’s fearless like her brothers. I wasn’t impressed with her character last season, but she’s working her way into my heart now.

I think it was more than that, I think it was meant to establish what kind of character that Phee Genoa was. I would have to believe that she is going to be playing some sort of key role in story lines.
Right? “What do you have here! Looks like a treasure map. I’m going to find it. If you want to come along and help, I’ll give you 50%!”

I would have been like, “So who are you and why do you think you can have the map?”

Right? “What do you have here! Looks like a treasure map. I’m going to find it. If you want to come along and help, I’ll give you 50%!”

I would have been like, “So who are you and why do you think you can have the map?”
For starters, she knows where this system was, something the Bad Batch had no idea of and they hadn't even heard of before. Secondly, she's an experienced "treasure hunter" and so knows a bit more about that sort of thing than the Bad Batch.

Wow, this episode was dull. We're supposed to be awed by the reveals in the temple/weapon, but they are unearned, and thus not engaging. There aren't any stakes in this quest. We really don't much care if they get in or not.

That little droid is a terrible design, but then, pretty much every new droid created in the Disney era has been.

They find a secret entrance, clear debris from the secret entrance, open the secret entrance, and then, after a minute of that, Omega: "Look, a secret entrance!!" Well, yeah, where have you been?

Phee and Omega go to great lengths to get through a puzzle, and then are joined by the rest of the gang that had been separated from them, ONCE THEY'RE ON THE OTHER SIDE. So the corridor the others were in just goes right into the sealed area? Not so sealed after all, then.

If this is a ship/weapon, why would there be puzzles?

There are still burnt bushes around from the last time this thing was going pew pew EONS AGO?

Wanda Sykes is a funny comedian but she is not terribly good actress. Every delivery is the same. No contextual nuance. She reads a line. She reads another line. There is no connection between them. Telling her tall tales at the beginning shows this well. There is no sense of a storyteller. Just line. Line. Line. Part of it is the direction when voice recording, though.

Speaking of direction, the pacing of scenes and dialogue is just painfully slow. People (especially Wanda) take forever to say anything, pause too much between phrases, and there are long pauses between the line of one character and the response of the other.

FASTER AND MORE INTENSE

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 9.37.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 9.37.09 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Gungi ep was enjoyable enough. The tiny little fire remaining after the battle being reacted to as if it was a raging forest fire was a little weird.

The two new ones today are an effective part of the forming-of-the-Empire story. One of the moody ones, and they are usually well done.

I came to realize, though, the era itself just isn't as fun. From the prequels through Andor, when everything good our protagonists do is turned against them, it's kind of depressing. Due to the timeline, nothing they do can have a tremendous amount of immediate positive effect. They can only plant seeds to grow the resistance and enable a farm boy to shoot a torpedo years later in a much more satisfying bit of entertainment.

Gungi ep was enjoyable enough. The tiny little fire remaining after the battle being reacted to as if it was a raging forest fire was a little weird.

The two new ones today are an effective part of the forming-of-the-Empire story. One of the moody ones, and they are usually well done.

I came to realize, though, the era itself just isn't as fun. From the prequels through Andor, when everything good our protagonists do is turned against them, it's kind of depressing. Due to the timeline, nothing they do can have a tremendous amount of immediate positive effect. They can only plant seeds to grow the resistance and enable a farm boy to shoot a torpedo years later in a much more satisfying bit of entertainment.

I think that they were going to go somewhere with the fire spreading and then realized they were out of the 22 minutes they were allotted. :)

The character stuff this week was sound. I like that they're slowly coming around to realizing Cid's full of it.

The nitty gritty plot stuff was ridiculous. You send four soldiers to go work a mine? You'd need lots of workers and droids and equipment and such. Nah, mining is just like stopping by the supermarket on the drive home to pick up milk, bread and a little priceless kablooey stuff. If you could get rich using a hand drill for five minutes then everyone would be doing it.

The second mine surely belongs to someone, but sure, steal all the goodies.

I’ve not found anything to complain about this year. There has been some SOLID character growth and development.

Omega is maturing nicely, not just as a kid growing up, but also dealing with disappointment and loss, leaning on her brothers for support.

I’ve enjoyed every episode, including the filler eps.

I like that they're slowly coming around to realizing Cid's full of it.
I am actually of the belief that this is the classic ploy writers do to mislead the audience of the real enemy. There have been so many things to make the audience come to be suspicious of Cid that I think it is too much. I think we will come to find that Cid is actually a better person than we believe. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Cid couldn’t come to their rescue at the mines because she was too busy doing something that was in the Bad Batch’s best interest.

Last edited:
For me, this show is doing exactly what I hope it would do... tell the story of the the Clones after Order 66. Some of the final season episodes of the Clone Wars and now Bad Batch really tells an interesting story. I also like how much deception was used by the Emperor to get rid of the clones and transition to Stormtroopers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back