Clone or Storm

101radioman

Looking to get into 501st.
Can't really decide what would be the way to go
Clonetrooper or Stormy. any suggestions and infor on kits?

Thanks

Ooo, that's a tough decision. With the Stormie, you have the classic OT look about you, but little room for standing out amongst all the other Stormies. With the Clone, you've got several versions to choose from, with different paint jobs and accessories, so you can be more "yourself", so to speak, but you have a harder time putting it together.

I personally wouldn't start with either of them, myself. I started with a Biker Scout, myself. Easy to assemble, more comfortable, and sadly underrepresented in the 501st as compared to the Stormies. I say for your first costume, you would probably want to go with the easier suit to put together if you're a novice, but if you've done similar projects, go with price/ availability. Either way, it's looking a little Stormie in your future.

Ok, ok, sorry about the REALLY bad pun, :lol

I have both, and the stormtrooper is best for your first armor ..
the Clone is a bit more labor intensive, you have to do alot of shaping and cutting. and if you want the cgi look you gotta go seamless and do alot of filling in, And there's a but load of painting involved if your doing one of the Commanders..

There is a barc Project going on at http://www.bikerscout.net/forums/index.php?showforum=28 Check them out

Clones CAN hit the broad side of a barn... ;)

Personally, I'd probably pick some clone variant, then biker scout, then stormie. But if someone wanted to give me armor, I wouldn't turn any type down.

I own both costumes as well. It depends on how much you're willing to spend. Clone armor tends to go a bit more than Stormtrooper armor. How tall are you? I'm 5'4" I find that Clone armor you have to be taller... and those knee pieces... it drives me crazy as its always going inside my thigh armor. I have to fix that... it drives me crazy. Though I love the original movies better than the later sequels... so I might be a bit bias :)

BEEHIVE. I love these dudes.

I imagine that Stormies would be easier, with a jillion reasonably good kits available. I've never seen a clone that's looked QUITE right to me, prolly cause of the challenge of capturing a CG character in 3D. But much of what I've seen has looked clearly homemade, as opposed to Stormies who might have walked off screen.

I would say Clone, though thats how I personally got sucked into this hobby, as I was impressed with some of the Clonetroopers I saw at cIII. If your skills are limited or if your a bit rusty, go Stormtrooper first and then go up to a Clone laters. :thumbsup I will be trying my hand at a freshy set of Clone armor here within the next week, so I will be more than happy to PM you progress pics as I go. :)

Start with a stormtrooper. I prefer clones by a mile over stormies, but a clonetrooper suit is incredibly difficult to put together in comparison to a stormtrooper. If I hadn't put a stormtrooper together before I'd be lost on my current clone project.

i´m prefering the storm/sandtroopers
clones looking nice but they´re commin up with too many variations

but it´s your choice
there are a lot of guys out their who can help building your suit
take the one you prefer and you have the money for

I had to the same problem... i deicided to go clone red elite saving up the cash now i have spent alot on my 2 vader costumes i am dead borke :cry

This is a really great thread and I am wondering if anybody can quantify the "why" a Clone suit is more difficult to assemble than a Stormy?

I have both and assembled neither.

well good clone armor is hard to come by. I.E Huge leg armor or a Horrible helmet. And some people just want out rageous prices for there clone armor. some guy on ebay has some armor up and it looks horrible. he wants somthing like 1500 USD.. And i am sorry but his armor sucks i would put up a picture but if you look for Clone armor you can't miss it.
Oh yeah and there no instructions to assemble the armor.

Well I chose neither, but do to the resources available to me, I would do a clone. Kiddies right now love the clones, they are a little blah about stormtroopers. But do what you like.

<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jun 21 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]1265071[/snapback]</div>
well good clone armor is hard to come by. I.E Huge leg armor or a Horrible helmet. [/b]

True there aren't any commercially available clone kits, most are sold by recommendation or word of mouth. No one is in the business of "mass-producing" clone kits, the way you can google or ebay a stormtrooper kit

<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jun 21 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]1265071[/snapback]</div>
And some people just want out rageous prices for there clone armor. [/b]

Go back to my last point, when demand exceeds supply, prices go up. People are willing to pay for clone armor.

Oh yeah and there no instructions to assemble the armor.
[/b]

Not true, one of the makers provides a full tutorial if you sign up at Clonetroopers.net.

Clone kits are typically sold as rough cut, meaning you need to be skilled enough to trim the rough ABS, and sand and shape it to fit. Not to mention that you still have to buy undersuits, boots, straps, suspenders, velcro, etc. etc. to assemble a full suit, and clones typically are painted up, requiring some paint skills. Stormtrooper kits are often sold pre-trimmed, and almost ready to wear.

As for clone helmets, let me give you a hint at a good one. This company "Master"s at "Replica"ting Star Wars props.

[/quote]

Not true, one of the makers provides a full tutorial if you sign up at Clonetroopers.net.

Clone kits are typically sold as rough cut, meaning you need to be skilled enough to trim the rough ABS, and sand and shape it to fit. Not to mention that you still have to buy undersuits, boots, straps, suspenders, velcro, etc. etc. to assemble a full suit, and clones typically are painted up, requiring some paint skills. Stormtrooper kits are often sold pre-trimmed, and almost ready to wear.

As for clone helmets, let me give you a hint at a good one. This company "Master"s at "Replica"ting Star Wars props.
[/quote]

When i pick up some clone armor in the coming weeks i will check out clonetroopers.net
and i was thinking about buying a MR clone helmet as soon as they start shipping them again.

If I can add my $0.02 here:

The answer depends on your building skill level. As mentioned previously, a Stormtrooper comes pretrimmed and can be assembled out of the box. It can be easily built to look just like the ones in the movie.

A Clone Trooper is more difficult to assemble and wear because it has more parts to assemble and fit. Most misalignments are immediately noticeable. Have you ever noticed a clone with his knee plates lost under the thigh? The effort required to make a well- fit clone is greater than the storm.

So the answer depends on how much of a challenge you like. I have to say (from personal experience) that the clones attract a lot more attention from the fans. Non-fans just say "Oh look, a stormtrooper."

In my opinion, clearly the answer is obvious: http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/rear02.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(IanL @ Jun 21 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1265129[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

But TERRIBLE at meeting deliver dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back