Clone or Storm

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by 101radioman, Jun 20, 2006.

1. 101radioman

101radioman Well-Known Member

Looking to get into 501st.
    Can't really decide what would be the way to go
    Clonetrooper or Stormy. any suggestions and infor on kits?

Thanks

2. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

I will say this. Most of the people who have done both say the Stormy is easier to assemble than the clone.

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I'm an OT kinda guy, so I'd have to say stormie.....

4. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

Ooo, that's a tough decision. With the Stormie, you have the classic OT look about you, but little room for standing out amongst all the other Stormies. With the Clone, you've got several versions to choose from, with different paint jobs and accessories, so you can be more "yourself", so to speak, but you have a harder time putting it together.

I personally wouldn't start with either of them, myself. I started with a Biker Scout, myself. Easy to assemble, more comfortable, and sadly underrepresented in the 501st as compared to the Stormies. I say for your first costume, you would probably want to go with the easier suit to put together if you're a novice, but if you've done similar projects, go with price/ availability. Either way, it's looking a little Stormie in your future.

Ok, ok, sorry about the REALLY bad pun, :lol

5. 101radioman

LOL great pun. with the scout option anyone do BARC yet?

6. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

My understanding is people are working on it. www.pathfinders.net would be the place to check.

7. deralis

deralis Well-Known Member

I have both, and the stormtrooper is best for your first armor ..
    the Clone is a bit more labor intensive, you have to do alot of shaping and cutting. and if you want the cgi look you gotta go seamless and do alot of filling in, And there's a but load of painting involved if your doing one of the Commanders..

There is a barc Project going on at http://www.bikerscout.net/forums/index.php?showforum=28 Check them out

8. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Clones CAN hit the broad side of a barn... ;)

Personally, I'd probably pick some clone variant, then biker scout, then stormie. But if someone wanted to give me armor, I wouldn't turn any type down.

9. redeye

redeye Well-Known Member

I own both costumes as well. It depends on how much you're willing to spend. Clone armor tends to go a bit more than Stormtrooper armor. How tall are you? I'm 5'4" I find that Clone armor you have to be taller... and those knee pieces... it drives me crazy as its always going inside my thigh armor. I have to fix that... it drives me crazy. Though I love the original movies better than the later sequels... so I might be a bit bias :)

10. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

BEEHIVE. I love these dudes.

I imagine that Stormies would be easier, with a jillion reasonably good kits available. I've never seen a clone that's looked QUITE right to me, prolly cause of the challenge of capturing a CG character in 3D. But much of what I've seen has looked clearly homemade, as opposed to Stormies who might have walked off screen.

11. I would say Clone, though thats how I personally got sucked into this hobby, as I was impressed with some of the Clonetroopers I saw at cIII. If your skills are limited or if your a bit rusty, go Stormtrooper first and then go up to a Clone laters. :thumbsup I will be trying my hand at a freshy set of Clone armor here within the next week, so I will be more than happy to PM you progress pics as I go. :)

12. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Sandtrooper :)

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

Start with a stormtrooper. I prefer clones by a mile over stormies, but a clonetrooper suit is incredibly difficult to put together in comparison to a stormtrooper. If I hadn't put a stormtrooper together before I'd be lost on my current clone project.

14. PMTrooper

PMTrooper Active Member

i´m prefering the storm/sandtroopers
    clones looking nice but they´re commin up with too many variations

but it´s your choice
    there are a lot of guys out their who can help building your suit
    take the one you prefer and you have the money for

15. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

I had to the same problem... i deicided to go clone red elite saving up the cash now i have spent alot on my 2 vader costumes i am dead borke :cry

16. Java

Java Sr Member

This is a really great thread and I am wondering if anybody can quantify the "why" a Clone suit is more difficult to assemble than a Stormy?

I have both and assembled neither.

17. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

well good clone armor is hard to come by. I.E Huge leg armor or a Horrible helmet. And some people just want out rageous prices for there clone armor. some guy on ebay has some armor up and it looks horrible. he wants somthing like 1500 USD.. And i am sorry but his armor sucks i would put up a picture but if you look for Clone armor you can't miss it.
    Oh yeah and there no instructions to assemble the armor.

18. IanL

IanL New Member

Well I chose neither, but do to the resources available to me, I would do a clone. Kiddies right now love the clones, they are a little blah about stormtroopers. But do what you like.

<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jun 21 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]1265071[/snapback]</div>
    True there aren't any commercially available clone kits, most are sold by recommendation or word of mouth. No one is in the business of "mass-producing" clone kits, the way you can google or ebay a stormtrooper kit

<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jun 21 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]1265071[/snapback]</div>
    Go back to my last point, when demand exceeds supply, prices go up. People are willing to pay for clone armor.

Not true, one of the makers provides a full tutorial if you sign up at Clonetroopers.net.

Clone kits are typically sold as rough cut, meaning you need to be skilled enough to trim the rough ABS, and sand and shape it to fit. Not to mention that you still have to buy undersuits, boots, straps, suspenders, velcro, etc. etc. to assemble a full suit, and clones typically are painted up, requiring some paint skills. Stormtrooper kits are often sold pre-trimmed, and almost ready to wear.

As for clone helmets, let me give you a hint at a good one. This company "Master"s at "Replica"ting Star Wars props.

19. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

[/quote]

Not true, one of the makers provides a full tutorial if you sign up at Clonetroopers.net.

Clone kits are typically sold as rough cut, meaning you need to be skilled enough to trim the rough ABS, and sand and shape it to fit. Not to mention that you still have to buy undersuits, boots, straps, suspenders, velcro, etc. etc. to assemble a full suit, and clones typically are painted up, requiring some paint skills. Stormtrooper kits are often sold pre-trimmed, and almost ready to wear.

As for clone helmets, let me give you a hint at a good one. This company "Master"s at "Replica"ting Star Wars props.
    [/quote]

When i pick up some clone armor in the coming weeks i will check out clonetroopers.net
    and i was thinking about buying a MR clone helmet as soon as they start shipping them again.

20. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

If I can add my $0.02 here:

The answer depends on your building skill level. As mentioned previously, a Stormtrooper comes pretrimmed and can be assembled out of the box. It can be easily built to look just like the ones in the movie.

A Clone Trooper is more difficult to assemble and wear because it has more parts to assemble and fit. Most misalignments are immediately noticeable. Have you ever noticed a clone with his knee plates lost under the thigh? The effort required to make a well- fit clone is greater than the storm.

So the answer depends on how much of a challenge you like. I have to say (from personal experience) that the clones attract a lot more attention from the fans. Non-fans just say "Oh look, a stormtrooper."

In my opinion, clearly the answer is obvious: http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/rear02.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(IanL @ Jun 21 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1265129[/snapback]</div>

But TERRIBLE at meeting deliver dates.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  21. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

The reason a clone is harder to assemble is because they are supposed to be seamless. Stormtroopers have the seams built into and hidden in the armor. Clones have no visible seams, which means lots of glue and bondo. Also, Clones require paint, even if you're just doing plain white there neds to be paint in some form or another. I put two stormtrooper kits together in two days. I've spent a month working on my clone and I'm not anywhere near finished.

22. That why I am doing a fullblown Clone first, as it's a terriific challenge. I personally operate better under tough pressure and scrutiny, and the potential end result seems that it would be beyond rewarding. If you got the dough, time and patience, I recommend doing a Clone. If your not comfortable with your ability or skill (and you want to wear your suit sooner than later) then go Stormtrooper first, as it I will give you an idea of how all of this stuff works. I am going to be on a major learning curve on my Clone suit forthcoming, and I will always be available to advise as I go. :thumbsup

23. Immortal Goat

Now, this may sound like a stupid question, but could someone post pictures of what they mean by "seamless"? Like a comparison between a Stormie and a Clone?

24. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Immortal Goat @ Jun 21 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]1265204[/snapback]</div>
    This is a figure, but it adequately demonstrates the difference.

http://japanesetoylink.com/Medicom/Sci-Fi/...D-SW003img2.jpg

Look at the biceps, the forearms, and the legs. They all have "seams" which are hidden by the design of the armor. Those hard, straight lines are overlapping pieces. Essentially all the stormtrooper armor is in halves. Now look at a picture of a clonetrooper. There are no hard lines that allow for overlapping pieces. The thighs are a great example of the difference. That means when you assemble clone armor, to get an "accurate" look you can't just have overlapping pieces with velcro holding them together like you can with stormtrooper armor.

25. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boba Frett @ Jun 20 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]1264893[/snapback]</div>
    You said it. :thumbsup

26. Zodus

Zodus Active Member

I would have to say Stormtrooper...I am on OT guy so yeah I'm biased another reason is if you are going into the 501st there are a ton of Stormtroopers so if you need help locally a lot of it is out there to be had.

27. TK0518

TK0518 New Member

Like everyone else has said.... putting a Stormtrooper together can be done over the weekend. I haven't put together a Clone but i can imagine the complexity. Depeniding on the version you plan to do. (EII white, blue, red yellow or the barrage of versions in EIII)

So i would suggest, if you are upp to a challange but no yet ready for the detail of a clone is to go with a Biker Scout or a Snowtrooper. Both involve a bit more sewing but that can often be fixed thanks to the local seamstress or resplica supplyer.

28. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

OT guy here so sandtrooper is obviously my choice.
    But if you want to stand out amongst the other troopers, like mentioned before perhaps clones might be a better answer.
    I have a nice set of GF armor and personally, i am sick and tired of looking like the rest of my fellow troopers. Therefore, my next step is to sell the armor and fund not a clone but a Jango.
    I am a fan of the OT and why am i having the intentions to do a Jango you might ask?
    First i am not tall enough to be a decent Boba but just nice for a Jango. To me, the prequel has got almost no ties and show no consistencies when it comes to ships and armor to the OT.
    The only exception is Jango.
    T visor is instantaneously recognised and associated to Boba.
    Oh my.. look how far i have digressed..

29. 101radioman

This is getting more informitve by the post
    THANKS EVERYONE.

I have started looking at a trimmed scout set by an outfit out of canada
    fully trimmed for less the 400 u.s. they also have helmet and blaster, and also do the soft parts.

I have not found other sources if someone has please PM.

Thanks again.

30. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

There are no seams in the legs and arms but there is some in the sides of the chest plate.
    [​IMG]

31. arek

arek Active Member

I prefer the OT look and went for a Stormtrooper. The biggest challenge was trying to be patient while the ABS Weld was drying.

32. Jedi_Rainman

Jedi_Rainman Well-Known Member

I'd say clone as I like the clones better than the ST

33. Blueorion

Blueorion New Member

I would say if you are going to go with Clone armor, make sure to do your research as there seems to be a few different suits out there and and they vary in quality and accuracy.

If you are going to do a Stormtrooper, you don't have to do as much research as it is pretty established what the good armor out there is. If you do end up at any time doing a Stormtrooper, or Sandtrooper for that matter, I would deffinatley look into a set of ANH armor. It looks more accurate, however the FX armor out there is more symetrical. :)

Good luck to you. ;)

34. PMTrooper

PMTrooper Active Member

i have a lil problem with the clones
    love the style how the old troopers are assembled and the clones lookin more modern
    i´m wondering how did the clones lookalike if they aren´t made on the computer
    not symetric but assembled just like stormtroopers

35. Immortal Goat

<div class='quotetop'>(101RadioMan @ Jun 22 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]1265769[/snapback]</div>
    Good choice, you won't be dissapointed in them. That's where I got my suit from, and it's turning out great.

[​IMG]
    Here's what it looks like fully assembled. The helmet is from them, too. For the rest of the stuff (gloves, boots, jumpsuit, etc.), you'll want to check out www.bikerscout.net for your sources. My advice: use their boot tutorial. That's what I used, and I saved $100.00 by doing it that way instead of buying the most widely accepted pre-made boot.

36. 101radioman

I was actually considering getting thier's in Black and then modifying some of my old JackBoots, and turning an old airsoft M82 into Sniper Blaster.

37. Immortal Goat

Well, one thing you need to realize is that the "black scout" is not considered Canon, and therefor, you should probably do something straight out of the movie for your first costume. That, and the Black Scout isn't very accurate, no matter where you get it from, since it isn't just a straight up bikerscout suit painted black.

38. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Seth B @ Jun 21 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]1265274[/snapback]</div>
    You said it. :thumbsup
    [/b][/quote]

Exactly my thoughts as well.

39. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(IanL @ Jun 21 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1265129[/snapback]</div>
    Ooohhh... you mean 'Rubies' right?. :p

Well my answer to the Stormy vs. Clone debate is pretty obvious by my screen-name. I've been hooked on Stormtroopers since I watched dozens of Stormtroopers blasting their way onto the Blockade Runner at the start of ANH all those years ago. Sure you'll look like 90% of the other members of the 501st but who cares when you're the a bad-* footsoldier of the Galactic Empire? :love

Let's face it, being a good-guy is no fun... the Clonetroopers are wusses.

<div class='quotetop'>(Prometheus @ Jun 22 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]1265753[/snapback]</div>
    Huh? Aren't they the same height, considering Boba is an unaltered clone of Jango? :confused

*** EDIT After a quick search on Google, it seems that Temuera Morrison is 5'7" whilst Jeremy Bulloch is 6'1" .. Maybe the Kamino-ians (???) weren't so great at cloning after all? LOL EDIT***

Cheers,
    John

40. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

ANH stormtrooper :thumbsup
    [​IMG]

41. 101radioman

Everyone Thanks for Help and enlightening comments.
    This post has given me more information then i thought i would get.

Thank You.

42. TK-326

TK-326 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Definitely start with a stormtrooper. Move on to clone or scout (like me.)

:)