Clear Purple Paint?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Mechinyun, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Hey guys, need some advice.

I am getting close to painting my Refit Enterprise Nacelle grills - going for the purple TMP look.

Having a tough time finding any clear purple paint.

I was thinking of using purple food coloring and some Future mixed then spray through my airbrush.. but do you guys have a better idea? I am looking for a deep grape purple color.

2. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

You could use Tamiya acrylics and mix clear blue with clear red. You can make any shade of purple, once you go that route.

-Fred

3. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

I was just about to suggest something similar. Only change would be I was going to say Mr. Color clear blue and clear red.

OR you can try Gaia Color clear purple: GaiaNotes [GAIA-047] - Lacquer Paint - Clear Purple 15ml - AU$4.50 :: BNA Model World in Australia - Your Online Scale Model Centre

I should add that Mr. Color and Gaia color are both lacquers vs Tamiya acrylics or enamels.

4. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

I tried mixing equal parts tamiya clear red and blue... it "sorta" worked.. ultimately didnt produce a good quality purple for me.. sorta this weird blue/black mixture.

Have you guys done this with success?

5. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i dont remember the mix ratio, but i didn't go 1-1 when i did mine because i got the same results you did, play around with it a bit and you'll get there.

6. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

I'm pretty sure the last time I mixed blue and red to make any purple it was less blue and more red. But that could be backwards and my paints are all over at my father's place. >.<

Maybe just go for the Gaia clear purple?

I found it on ebay for $5: link to auction

7. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

yep for 5 bucks, worth a shot - ordered! :) Thanks guys.

8. robn1

robn1 Master Member

You could also mix red and blue acrylics to make any purple shade you want, then mix with Future to make any degree of transparency you want.

But those clear lacquers sound great, if the shade is right.

9. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Hey guys quick update - just got the bottle of "gaia color - clear purple" that king ranger recommended.

Its perfect! Beautiful rich grape purple color. Sprayed smooth!