Clear coating Aluminum Black lightsaber?

lostinperiphery

Since I only get one shot at this, I thought it appropriate to ask advice first... what’s everyone’s favorite clear coat for hilts/parts weathered using Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black?

I recently finished my first electronics install on a saber, but discovered shortly after that my weathering was rubbing off rather quickly underneath my hands, leaving a splotchy appearance. I’ve since re-applied the Aluminum Black to make it more consistent, and would like to protect it from wearing off again.

IMG_1898.jpg

Can you lacquer over enamel paint? Asking for a... friend :D

I've always used Rustoleum satin clear with mixed results

Is that Rustoleum Satin the 2x Ultra Cover or the Stops Rust version? Or a different version altogether?

Does this look like this can? We have a limited selection of Rustoleum in NZ, so I'm just trying to figure out if you guys are talking about a version that we have :)

285092_Satin_Clear_Enamel_Can_Image.png

I'm in the UK so it's pretty much impossible to get a clear enamel that's not gloss. I use cellulose, drys fast and extremely hard wearing. I used to use Matt on the v2's buy I've moved over to Satin as it has a lovely sheen to it.

These 2 have satin cellulose on, except for on the pommels, those I've not bothered with.

v2 satin.jpg
v2 clean.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back