Clear coat on plastic painted chrome

Iguanaman

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I found a nice chrome finish for a 3D printed part but if I spray clear coat on top the finish turns to grey. I'm using Krylon Silver Foil Metallic. I know it isn't the greatest but it looks good for my purposes. Any suggetions for a clear coat that does not trash the metallic appearance?

It might just be a case of doing some tests on scrap pieces of plastic or buying some disposable plastic spoons on which to conduct tests with different clear coats. The general thing is to keep to the same brand, in this case Krylon.
Good luck

Try Krylon Krystal Klear... It is pretty good for general use, and as said above, keeping paints "in the family" may help.

But, it is no guarantee of course...

That looks pretty good, but the nail powder will definitely give you a shinier and probably more long-lasting finish. You got nothing to lose but a couple of bucks to try it out. ;)

That looks pretty good, but the nail powder will definitely give you a shinier and probably more long-lasting finish. You got nothing to lose but a couple of bucks to try it out. ;)
Thanks! I am certainly going to try out the powder. This finish doesn't tolerate a lot of handling.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back