Cleaning chicken bones question

cacador

Hey gang, I ordered like 40 wings last night for my friends and to use for my up coming budget suit. I plan on washing the bones with soap and water to get the flesh off and then let them soak in bleach for 30 to 40 minutes.

My question is when should I degrease the bones and if my method of doing so will work? I plan on putting them in a pot with hot water but not letting it get to a boil. How long should I do this for and should I do this before the bleaching or no?

EDIT: I tried searching but was unable to find results. If there's a link to this then please post.

i havent made any necklaces yet, but i have boiled down a pork shoulder bone, and just after boiling the bone for 2 hours all the flesh left on it will seemingly just fall off, or very little of it might need to be scraped off...
after taking off the remaining flesh boil it with soap for another 2 hours then tie it with a rope and hang it outdoors somewhere covered with a cloth so as to not let any bugs on it and just let it dry thouroughly for a few days....

hope this helps you !

It has, thanks. I'm reading that I need to use gasoline to degrease the bones but I remember reading that I can also put the bones on the stove but not at a boiling point for a few hours in a thread some where around here.

All I did was boil all the meat off the bones, then wait till they cool and pull off all the left over meat and little fiddly bits. After all the bones are dry and meat-free, I soaked them in half hydrogen-peroxide and half water overnight. In the morning they were nice and bleached

Cacador, you aren't using fried chicken wings are you? I have always boiled mine. I pick off the meat after boiling, washed with soapy water then rinse with clean tap water and follow up with a soak in a peroxide & bleach solution.
~Estelle

I did exactly what Jason said bro. I ate a **** load of chiturkeys boiled the bones, cleaned em up... then soaked em in peroxide over night..

If you have a river of pirahna, those work well too.

Ha, thanks guys. I will be doing that tonight. Branden, I think one of these rivers out here might. You're from here though so you tell me!

I did exactly what Jason said bro. I ate a **** load of chiturkeys boiled the bones, cleaned em up... then soaked em in peroxide over night..

If you have a river of pirahna, those work well too.

The pros (museum staff and biologists) use colonies of dermestid beetle larvae (which often arrive unintentionally in shipments of live crickets). The baby beetles eat all the dry flesh and leave the skeletal bones perfectly clean.

The pros (museum staff and biologists) use colonies of dermestid beetle larvae (which often arrive unintentionally in shipments of live crickets). The baby beetles eat all the dry flesh and leave the skeletal bones perfectly clean.
Yes! I've heard about this…even seen it demonstrated on a Discovery Channel television show once ( Bone collectors? Bone hunters?) Anyway, the beetles were in this huge tub of some sort and an animal body part was placed in with them. The cameras skip a week or so forward to show clean bones being taken out of the tub..is ‘beetle larvae’ a cute PC term for maggot? I thought the work was done by the adult insects?
~Estelle

Yes! I've heard about this…even seen it demonstrated on a Discovery Channel television show once ( Bone collectors? Bone hunters?) Anyway, the beetles were in this huge tub of some sort and an animal body part was placed in with them. The cameras skip a week or so forward to show clean bones being taken out of the tub..is ‘beetle larvae’ a cute PC term for maggot? I thought the work was done by the adult insects?
~Estelle

Yep, that's how it works. The little buggers clean everything--even in little nooks and crannies and cavities that can't be cleaned by hand. But they don't touch the actual bone at all.

The adults don't eat much, so most of the work is done by the larvae. "Maggot" is actually the term for fly larvae--beetle larvae are . . . well . . . just larvae, though they are often also called "grubs".

A rose by another name, maggot, grub they’re all the same…just kidding..lol.
At one time I was considering getting into making bone jewelry, and I actually considered using the ‘beetle technique’, but for some reason I lost interest in the project before I really got started and abandoned the idea. It’s a good thing, I don’t think I would have been able to deal with the grubs..lol, they remind me too much of maggots.
~Estelle

A rose by another name, maggot, grub they’re all the same…just kidding..lol.
At one time I was considering getting into making bone jewelry, and I actually considered using the ‘beetle technique’, but for some reason I lost interest in the project before I really got started and abandoned the idea. It’s a good thing, I don’t think I would have been able to deal with the grubs..lol, they remind me too much of maggots.
~Estelle

The dermestid grubs are brownish, not white like maggots, and they have hairs all over them that make them look sort of fuzzy. They move around a lot and are lots faster than fly maggots, which icks a lot of people out.

I think they are kinda cute--but then, I'm warped in the head anyway.

good to know, ive found some sweet little animal skulls at my old work and was hoping to use them for something. now i know how to clean them well :)

I have done the same as PredatrHuntr with my bones,then once they were dry I sealed them in varnish to finish them off.....must say they turned out pretty good in the end.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back