Clean uncured resin from prop to remold

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

CharlesHouse

I did half of a twosided mold using Smooth On Mold Star and used clay I thought to be non-sulfur. It seems that everywhere the clay touched, it didn't set. It was sticky on the surface, so I took a razor and cut the surface off and intend to redo the registration keys and surface of the mold. However, the surface of the prop itself is covered in goop which I assume will screw up the possibility of it molding properly. I want to clean this off and then spray with acrylic paint to seal it. I spent a half hour in the shower with liquid dish soap scrubbing the mold after cutting the sticky section and the prop, but it still has uncured silicone on it. How can I remove it in a way that will permit the next layer of silicone to cure?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

cavx

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What is the master made from?

I might suggest you use Acetone, but given that stuff destroys most things, be very careful before using it. You don't want to use it if there is even a hint of a chance that it will dissolve any detail on the master part.

CharlesHouse

Plastic and painted. I don't want to mess with acetate since we plan to remold.

We are having trouble figure out how to remold it as well. Basically, I have half a mold with a rough surface and no keys. I'm trying to figure out how to replace the keys and a consistent surface so we can make the other half.