Clay???

very difficult to obtain such a clay.
so be smart to find an alternative as a substitute for that clay. T.T

I hear Chavant is good clay as well as wed clay. I am going to go with the chavant medium and/or soft for my first sculpt.

Munson. I looked at the Van Aken stuff, and it seemed a little too firm to me, but I have zero experience sculpting. Is it difficult to shape?

just wondering can wed clay be re-used?!!!

Generally, no ..usually it has dried a bit too much after the curing process of the mold. Wed is cheap though ...we always just toss it after scraping it from a mold. Chavants and plastinas? Yes ,they can be

I use an oil based clay called Van Aken Plastalina Modeling Clay. It's found at Michaels and Dick Blicks.

Here's a link to the Dick Blick site:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/van-aken...-modeling-clay/
but the promlem is i'm in Indonesia.it's very difficult to obtain materials for modeling.
if any, the price can be 5 -10 times the original price.
i use locally-made playdough/plasticine that quality is not good or use rice flour mix with PVAc glue it help enough :)

yes they can, if your gonna do silicone molding just make sure its sulphur free, right now im using klean clay nsp

Hi,
How's Klean Klay working for you? Is it easy to use? I've used regular plasticine clay from a hobby shop but I don't think I am able to achieve what I see here in the lair. I'm wondering if the Klean klay will give me that flexibility in trying to make more details.

thanks for any advice you can give

cheers

Generally, no ..usually it has dried a bit too much after the curing process of the mold. Wed is cheap though ...we always just toss it after scraping it from a mold. Chavants and plastinas? Yes ,they can be

thanks for that george,shame it has to be thrown!!i guess plasticine is the way to go!

Munson. I looked at the Van Aken stuff, and it seemed a little too firm to me, but I have zero experience sculpting. Is it difficult to shape?

It's not too bad for me to shape. I couldn't find where it states what firmness it is, but I would say it might be a medium firmness. It's fairly easy to shape and work with. I'm happy with it. I went with Van Akin mainly because it's local [I found it at Michaels and Dick Blicks] and it was a pretty good price.

I went with Van Akin mainly because it's local [I found it at Michaels and Dick Blicks] and it was a pretty good price.

I took a look at some of it the other day and it was running about $14 for 4.5 lbs. It does seems extremely firm in the packaging but I think it might warm up and become easier to use as you work it. Would that be a correct assumption?

How much clay would you say you'd need roughly for a bio sculpt? How many lbs of it?
With a good armature, you should be able to get away with 10lbs. I used 11 in mine but I had 18lbs ready for it.

[quote name='A Hunter's Moon' post='276558' date='Feb 14 2011, 05:48 AM']Would that be a correct assumption?[/quote]Once you start working it, it will feel softer than in the package. I think that has to do more with working it for the first time then warming it up. After that, yes, warming it up by working with it or keeping it in a warming box makes a huge difference.

My sculpting store has samples out of each clay so that people can play with it and get a feeling for it. After working with my J-Mac Classic Clay in medium, I can easily feel the difference over the hard. I use them for different things. I also use regular Klean Klay for some things. Like others have said, it's because I have these choices locally.

How much clay would you say you'd need roughly for a bio sculpt? How many lbs of it?

So far I believe my Falconer sculpt is using about 10-12 pounds roughly. Are you going to be using xdmray's gen 1 half mask for an armature? If so, you could save some clay by how you make the armature. Where the face is cut out, instead of following the shape of the half mask, you could make it straight from the forehead to the chin. If you want I could send you some pics of mine after I mold the bio.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back