Clay

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Darth Domain, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

i have been trying to make a mag and housing for the kenner and have been working with plastic but decided i want to try to sculpt the master (very new to clay sculpting) then make a mold. Do any UK guys know what clay i could use, there is some that once sculpted it can be fired in a convertional oven. Can't remeber the name of it though?
    Cheers folks

2. Reactor drone

Reactor drone Well-Known Member

Well I'm not a UK person but sculpey is a good,oven hardening clay.It lets you sand out those fingerprints and get a smoother finish before going to a mould.

Depends how big the part is whether the cost would be prohibitive though.

3. Darth Domain

<div class='quotetop'>(Reactor drone @ Jul 31 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1291084[/snapback]</div>
    That's the stuff thanks, the mag and housing is quite small so shouldn't be too pricey

4. wtac

wtac Well-Known Member

If you are going to make an RTV silicon mould you can use plain old plastercine which reqires no heating etc and you can use it again

5. Darth Domain

<div class='quotetop'>(wtac @ Jul 31 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]1291089[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, so the plastercine means there will not be any problems with the RTV curing?
    Also, i now have a source for sculpey and super sculpey, which one is more preferable?

6. 7-11 Jedi

7-11 Jedi Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Domain @ Jul 31 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]1291090[/snapback]</div>

Always super sculpey. It's a hundred times easier to work with.

Cheers.

-SE

7. Darth Domain

<div class='quotetop'>(7-11 Jedi @ Jul 31 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]1291091[/snapback]</div>

Always super sculpey. It's a hundred times easier to work with.

Cheers.

-SE
    [/b][/quote]
    Thanks

8. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Plasticene is a no-no with RTV silicon and resins, since it contains sulphur as a filler. If you're partial to plasticene, you can use Prima Plastilina, which is sulphur free.

9. Reactor drone

Reactor drone Well-Known Member

I usually get sulphur free plasticine but I have bought stuff from the toy store and haven't had a problem taking silicone moulds from it so it may depend on the brand.Usually its cheaper to get big blocks(5kg)from a moulding a casting gear store anyway...if you're doing big stuff : )

The advantage in doing a sculpt in sculpey is that you can clean it up before taking the mould,saves having to do a two stage moulding process.No matter how hard I try I can never get a perfect finish on plasticine so having a hard part you can sand,fill and paint is always a bonus.

10. Darth Domain

<div class='quotetop'>(Reactor drone @ Aug 1 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]1291686[/snapback]</div>
    it sounds like sculpey is the way to go. Its good that it can be sanded/tidied up. But for the mag and housing i would not want it to be too perfect, i want it to look a little rough, sort of what you would expect from a weapon.

11. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

For a magazine clip, could you build it out of styrene, or other card stock? That seems more like the route for this type of thing rather than clay. Opinions?

12. Blad

Blad Sr Member

Look at the OP clonesix. :)

I for one would make a mag & housing using styrene, the problem with clay is that it usually shrinks when drying, but I believe this is minimal with sculpy.

13. Darth Domain

<div class='quotetop'>(clonesix @ Aug 1 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]1291914[/snapback]</div>
    What if i wanted to use the master to make another mold in future though, the clay sculpt can stand up to being usede more could it not?

14. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ Aug 1 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]1291923[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes I will if someone will tell me what an OP is.

15. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

"Original Prop"?

16. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Original Post.

-Mike

17. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

18. Blad

Blad Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Domain @ Aug 1 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1291926[/snapback]</div>
    What if i wanted to use the master to make another mold in future though, the clay sculpt can stand up to being usede more could it not?
    [/b][/quote]

Depends upon the shape - I've destroyed clay masters and I've destroyed styrene masters. :)

The best thing would be to mould the first one out of the mould. Clay masters also have a habit of 'hiding' marks IMHO - until you've moulded and pulled the first piece from your mould you can't tell if it's going to be right (again IMHO).

The only other thing that comes to mind is that making perfectly straight lines and rectangular shapes is simple using plastic or card, much harder in clay.

With a couple of the current items I'm making I make a styrene sheet shape and then fill it with urethane resin. I can then sand corners, drill it, add detail without the shape collapsing or becoming distorted. Moulding the final styrene sheet/urethane item is easy and there's no danger of the master crumbling, squashing or the styrene getting caught up with the silicone.

19. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I have to agree with Blad. If it's a geometric shape you're looking for like a gun clip, a master made from plastic sheet stock is the way to go.

20. Darth Domain

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Aug 2 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]1292111[/snapback]</div>
    Tht is what i have been working on, i've cut many of the parts and was fine trimming.sanding them and then was going to glue them together. I just though clay would be easier, obviously not then

21. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Easier, yes. But not as professional looking a result.