Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

Originally posted by Jestefarean+Jul 9 2005, 03:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jestefarean @ Jul 9 2005, 03:47 AM)</div>
Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jul 8 2005, 11:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Jul 9 2005, 01:09 AM

And I believe all three to be three individual models.  AM I correct?

[snapback]1029641[/snapback]​

(BTW-- The AM wasn't supposed to be all in caps for emphasis or anything -- just a caps key typo.)
[snapback]1029756[/snapback]​

As far as I know, yes. Two are heros, and there are differences between them, so I believe them to be all different.
[snapback]1029767[/snapback]​
[/b]

Was the model in the photo shoot with the blue background a "pyro" version (as suggested by the black underneath and blacked-out canopy), and not a "hero"?

More weathering later today, hopefully more pics.

It is my understanding that no models were destroyed and that all explosions were produced optically. Some did have exhaust.

I take back what I said before. All 3 of the Vipers pictured are heros...or by that I mean all 3 have pilots. I was mistaken the top left one for something else...but its got a pilot...look close behind the windows and youll see it.

PhArchivest...

Can you run through how you are achiving that type of weathering?

-Skyler101

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jul 10 2005, 02:38 PM
Progressing on weathering...
[snapback]1030456[/snapback]​

PH,
Not sure if you've seen my take on the MIM, but here's a link if you'd like to check it out. I didn't go for quite the extreme weathering as the filming miniatures.

Yours is looking great.

I agree, this MIM casting is not the best, but it is a great looking ship, and with patience you can make it look real nice, as you are doing.

Keep it up.

-Sean
http://squaremodels.com/viper.htm

Originally posted by Skyler101+Jul 11 2005, 05:46 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skyler101 @ Jul 11 2005, 05:46 AM)</div>
PhArchivest...

Can you run through how you are achiving that type of weathering?

-Skyler101

<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Jul 10 2005, 02:38 PM
Progressing on weathering...
[snapback]1030456[/snapback]​
[snapback]1030894[/snapback]​
[/b]

Its largely just Testor's paints, various shades of gray, thinned and streaked on. I started each streak with a base of Navy Aggressor Gray, then added a touch of Euro 1 gray. I have tiny bits of Rust thrown in, and Ive also used some black pastell chalk rub and smeared on.

YES. Definitely saw yor work. I think I came across it on a Yahoo image search. Was VERY impressed. LOVE the work on the tube.

Nice to have you around these parts and welcome to the RPF.

Originally posted by t2sides@Jul 11 2005, 06:38 PM
PH,
Not sure if you've seen my take on the MIM, but here's a link if you'd like to check it out. I didn't go for quite the extreme weathering as the filming miniatures.

Yours is looking great.

I agree, this MIM casting is not the best, but it is a great looking ship, and with patience you can make it look real nice, as you are doing.

Keep it up.

-Sean
http://squaremodels.com/viper.htm
[snapback]1031188[/snapback]​

Here are some more shots, showing the current progress in context. I'm not sure I like all the specific streaking on the wings, and may try to diminish it some with a bit of the base coat.

Please share your honest thoughts.

OK..honest opinion...
I think it's not awful, but I think it looks a little "heavy" in spots. You could try to back off it a bit and go for less distinct patches.
Overall I think it's looking really really good..but the wing section you asked about looks a little "un-natural" and painted if you know what I mean.
Best wishes.

Here are some more shots, showing the current progress in context. I'm not sure I like all the specific streaking on the wings, and may try to diminish it some with a bit of the base coat.

No need for that. Once you get all your weathering done. Take some steel wool and go over the weathering you do not like. I did this on my X-wing and it toned down the really heavy spots rather nicely.

Greg

Originally posted by Ivanhotep@Jul 12 2005, 04:44 PM
Any of you Viper builders consider doing a lit cockpit?
[snapback]1031778[/snapback]​

Actually, I was wondering what parts of the cockpit would be lit. Any references?

Pretty much just the rims of the pilot's helmet... :lol

BSG-FPviper2.jpg

Tho I guess some drilled out instrument dials and an LED behind the control board would be pretty nice. :)

- Karl

Would be cool if you could install backlit sheet graphics that could emulate the cockpit instruments...

-Skyler101

Originally posted by phase pistol@Jul 13 2005, 07:53 AM
Pretty much just the rims of the pilot's helmet... :lol

BSG-FPviper2.jpg

Tho I guess some drilled out instrument dials and an LED behind the control board would be pretty nice. :)

- Karl
[snapback]1032324[/snapback]​

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jul 8 2005, 08:07 PM
Incidentally, these are the three models/pics I'm using as primary reference material:
[snapback]1029638[/snapback]​

Do you have bigger pics of the bottom hero Viper?
post-477-1120871226.jpg

Lynn

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jul 8 2005, 08:07 PM
Incidentally, these are the three models/pics I'm using as primary reference material:
[snapback]1029638[/snapback]​

Do you have bigger pics of this hero Viper?
post-477-1120871216.jpg

Lynn

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back