Classic tunes you're "done" with

PHArchivist

Master Member
Free Bird from Lynard Skynard came on the radio yesterday...

I changed the station. 30 minutes later I changed back, and it was still rolling...

What other classic tunes could you go the rest of your days without hearing ever again?

I suppose this is aimed at folks my age or older. A youngster who just heard Stairway To Heaven (which is also high on my list) may be enamored with Bob's wailing, but in my 40+ years, I'm done with it.

Most of the Eagle's classic 70's mega-hits I could pass on too, including - believe it or not - Hotel California.

You...?

Last edited:
Funny thing is I could not listen to those 2 you have listed for about 10 years.

Now I enjoy them.:lol

I stopped listening to radio 15 years ago.

Any Beetles I could not listen to either.

I used to play Bass so there was a time in my life where I just could not listen to ANY music.

Had to clean up my palete so to speak.

Ya know I did'nt think they played "Classic" Rock any more on the Radio. :lol

It's getting really hard to find any rock music on the radio. It's rap, pop, or crap like nickel back that can't be called rock. It's more like pop with a guitar in it.

pretty much anything "classic rock", bubble gum 80's pop 40 and "oldies". There is only so many times the same song can play until its considered torture. Its why I gave up on the radio 20 years ago.

You know Stairway and Freebird are bathroom break songs D.J.'s will play or did play.

I knew a D.J. in Washington in the 80's who would play those and not only go to the bathroom and get something to eat, but would fire up a little number as well, not neccesarily in that order though! :cool

All Journey and REO Speedwagon.

And Tom Sawyer by Rush.

Oversaturation killed them for me.

Clapton's original version of Layla.

If Free Bird comes on I'll flip back and forth between stations until the guitar solo :lol

Most of my "done" tunes are from the '80...Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These, Girls just Wanna Have Fun, and pretty much anything by Culture Club or the hair bands are what make me tune out the most.

Most of my "done" tunes are from the '80...Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These, Girls just Wanna Have Fun, and pretty much anything by Culture Club or the hair bands are what make me tune out the most.

Yeah - I used to really enjoy Sweet Child Of Mine, for example, but it doesn't do much for my anymore.

Another older classic is Light My Fire by the Doors.

Been done with that one for a long time.

Free Bird from Lynard Skynard came on the radio yesterday...

Yep. That's one.

I suppose this is aimed at folks my age or older. A youngster who just heard Stairway To Heaven (which is also high on my list) may be enamored with Bob's wailing, but in my 40+ years, I'm done with it.

Agreed.

no-stairway-denied-stairway-denied-demotivational-poster-1246591723.jpg

Stairway is the first reasonably difficult (for a beginner) song a lot of guitar players learn, and once you do, you never ever EVER want to hear it again.

Most of the Eagle's classic 70's mega-hits I could pass on too, including - believe it or not - Hotel California.

This one I can tolerate. But only in moderation. Most of the rest of their catalog is the same way for me. Once in a while, I can handle it.

I am tired of Crazy Train by Ozzy mainly due to football season. So sick of hearing "ALLL aboard"

That's another one that I can do only in very very limited doses. Other Ozzy from the same era, though, I can handle.

Clapton's original version of Layla.

If Free Bird comes on I'll flip back and forth between stations until the guitar solo :lol

See, that's how I am about Layla. Freebird I'll just turn off, but Layla I'll wait until you get to Duane Allman's solo. And I will inevitably think about Goodfellas.

Another older classic is Light My Fire by the Doors.

Been done with that one for a long time.

Yeah, same here. On the other hand, The End and Riders of the Storm I can handle just fine.

American Pie

that "let me sleep on it" song by Meat Loaf

and ANYTHING FROM GREASE

Definitely.

That and a whole litany of songs that only seem to ever be played at summer camp.

Also:

Brown Eyed Girl and Moondance.

"I Will Survive", but only because of the way women respond to it at clubs and parties. By itself, the song is inspiring and empowering, but it never fails, the gals sing along to it in a defiant way, and always singing it *at* whatever male victim who happens to be nearby. Hey, ladies, I'm not the fictional guy in the song who did the cheating/dumping. Song touch a nerve? :lol

I have totally overdone Metallica from my youth. Nowadays, I'm good for about a minute, and then I'm like, "is this song still on? Change!"

Solo,

The End, and People Are Strange are about all I can handle from The Doors anymore.

And I think I almost prefer the Echo & The Bunnymen version.

I'll get some heat for this, all of Nirvana.
They just won't stop playing it on KROQ, who's requesting this up- how to I delete their copies of it?
They don't play any other 90's flannel bands other than them.

We have a classic rock station I just can't stand anymore. Same old songs, day after day.

Black Magic Woman and Santana's other one....should be retired...

I'm done with Heart, after a long roadtrip where my then-wife played tape after tape.

After a series of roommates enamored with Rush, they're off the list, too.

And I never minded Pearl Jam, until the gym had their XM locked on a channel with nothing but live concerts of theirs, and over a span of two hours, I realized how unimpressed of them I am. OVER IT. :lol

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back