Classic Neal Adams Green Arrow

spydrwebz

I guess it's official now. I just designed and ordered my buckle from shapeways and will be putting together a classic green arrow costume over the next few months. Trying to get an early start and hopefully attend Dragon con this year.

For reference heres are a few pics of my favorite Green Arrow:

green.jpg black-canary---green-arrow-smallville-708762_144_292.jpg

And heres a pic of the buckle design. One of the unique challenges with this was to avoid making it look like the Green Bay Packers logo. I designed it with logo design software then converted it to vector and finally uploaded it to shapeways where it will be rendered in green, (what else?) strong and flexible.

GreenArrowLogo2.png
After I get it I plan on modifying it a bit with a dremel to accept a belt (my 3d design skills arent strong enough for that so I'll have to do it manually) and will be adding the hook thingie as well. Then I plan on painting it with Testors paint in the following color and finishing it up with a couple of coat of clearcoats afterwards....and will try to add plenty of pics.

paint sample.jpg

Finally heres a pic of me with the beard (which Ill be bleaching and dyeing to match Green Arrows) along with a quick green arrow mask rendered in paint just for fun.

arrow.jpg

More updates to follow. Thanks for looking, any and all suggestions, comments and critiques are welcome as I really want to do this costume justice.

Last edited:
Made some progress on the mask during the past few days. Please excuse the messy workspace.

Decided to use Instamorph.Its a lot like friendly plastic and the premise behind it is you heat it up in hot water. When it turns clear it can be molded into any form.
When it cools it turns white and is pretty rigid. A lot of people use this stuff for vampire fangs

Anyway here are the pics:

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

Last edited:
This is after molding to my face, cutting out the eyes, cutting the shape of the mask, coating with 2 coats of PVA glue then spraying with plastidip. The red is Bondo
glazing and spot putty to fill in the imperfections. Obviously its going to need some sanding and Im also going to have to trim the left eye so it matches the right a little better.

Not sure if I'm going to use this as the actual mask. I might use it as a form to brush on liquid latex or silicone...or even wet leather. I might even try all three and see
which one you guys think looks best.

More pics and updates to follow soon.

Last edited:
Minor update:

The "G" buckle is being processed and is scheduled to ship on February 17th from Shapeways. Will be posting many more pics of the buckle, both
as received, and after Ive modified it to accept a leather belt.

The mold for the mask should be finished by then as well so please stay tuned. Things should start happening very quickly after this and Im
excited at the prospect of sharing this with you all.

Last edited:
Quick question for you guys:

Im buying a mixed lot of used arrows from ebay to use for this costume (gotta save money where I can)

what do you guy think of these items to make them look more green arrow(ish)?

I designed custom green carbon fiber arrows wraps for the shaft of the arrows.

proof.jpg

and plan on adding these vanes

zeon.jpg

and at least one of these light up nocks (for a Kryptonite Arrow. Since they come in a three pack, Ill likely use the other two inside trick arrow heads
for a little extra oomph (at least thats the plan anyway.

nocks.jpg

damn guys....does my work look that bad that no one wants to comment on it? I guess next time I should do
the 3,999,997th Iron Man build instead.

Sorry, missed this post. Your work is fine! That Instamorph looks very interesting - must try to source some here in New Zealand.

And it's nice to see someone else on the RPF with grey in their beard! :D

Sorry, missed this post. Your work is fine! That Instamorph looks very interesting - must try to source some here in New Zealand.

And it's nice to see someone else on the RPF with grey in their beard! :D

You think the pics I posted above will work for the arrows?

Lol......and its not gray...its fairy dust :)

Works for me, it has what I imagine GA's arrows would have looked like. I remember getting hooked on him with that classic issue - #76? - and even though carbon fibre wasn't invented then, it looks the part.

And isn't fairy dust really just light grey, almost white? :)

Have loads of goodies showing up in the next couple of days.

15 used wooden arrows that Im going to sand, refinish with a green aniline dye, re-fletch and re-nock.

I also have the the belt buckle coming in from Shapeways.

Will make sure to post plenty of pics of all.

Forgot to mention that Ive also decided on the bow, which will also be finished with a two-step aniline dye.....I'll use dark forest green that will be sanded down (to allow the dark color to penetrate and highlight the grain) followed by a couple of coats of dark emerald green dye.

Here are pics of the bow and the look I'm going for with the finish. The grain on the bows will be much straighter and not as burled
but you get the general idea, I hope.

modoc.jpg

green1.jpg

Last edited:
For you history buffs out there, this bow is a pyramid style bow favored by the Modoc Indians of the Pacific coast of America.

They developed this bow because its relatively short and powerful making it a perfect choice to use in thick mountain brush with large predators
.........or in the case of Green Arrow an urban environment.

One of the things I love about putting together a costume like this from scratch is all the trivia and information I manage to pick up
along the way.

Been lurking on this thread since you got started - super impressive stuff so far! Have to be nosy - where did you find that style of bow?

Thanks for the info! I'm a fan of being able to do the finishing work on bows myself - I may just have to buy one of those!

No problem.

I just received the 3D printed buckle from Shapeways today. Im gonna have to drill and dremel it a tiny bit to add the bar and prong, but I think this is going to look amazing once its painted in deep forest green metallic paint.

DSCF0804.JPG

DSCF0805.JPG

DSCF0806.JPG

I was orginally worried about the thickness of the piece but as you can see this is plenty stout. I couldnt be happer with it

I'm really thrilled that you are doing the Neal Adam's version of Green Arrow, imo, the best one! Belt buckle seems to be progressing nicely!

I'm really thrilled that you are doing the Neal Adam's version of Green Arrow, imo, the best one! Belt buckle seems to be progressing nicely!

Thanks! Hes always been my favorite version as well and Im gonna try my best to do this costume justice. I have a lot of studying to do this weekend for school
but hopefully, Ill be able to show you all some progress pics by the end of next week at the latest.

Im gonna have to start a punch out list soon to keep track of it all

Works progresses albeit slowly because of the cold. 0 degrees here in Virginia with the wind chill right now.

I did get these in today! along with my zeon fusion green arrow vanes.

glove.JPG

They are 3 inches from tip to tip.One will be painted green with Krylon fusion and attached to an arrow while the other will be kept in reserve in case I screw up.

They are quite a bit smaller than a full sized boxing glove but they will fit nicely in my quiver and if anyone asks I'll explain that they work off of airbag technology :) I might even add a blinking green led at the base if I have time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back