Classic Loki (Richard E Grant) - Patterns done! (4/19)

MorbidCharlie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Going to go ahead and make this an official WIP thread.
  • Boots - being done by Studio Boheme in a faux suede. Different than the leather(ish) boots in the episode, but same appearance.
  • Bodysuit - Being sewn by an Etsy seller I am commissioning, using this fabric I picked up at Jo-Anns. Faux stretch suede in "Sycamor" color.
    1627365436807.png
  • Trunks - likely being done by same seller above.
  • Gloves - Also being done by Studio Boheme in the same faux suede as boots.
  • Belt - Sewn by me in yellow faux suede.
  • Chest piece - Sewn by me in yellow faux suede.
  • Collar - Sewn by me in yellow faux suede.
  • Cape - Sewn by me in yellow faux suede.
  • Helmet - 3D printed and gold chromed using my model.
    1627365618901.png
Going to skip the bag, but may revisit later. Also, going for a clean look instead of the dirtied up version. This will be classic Loki either prior to TVA pruning or escaping the void (you won't convince me he's gone).

Attachments

• 1626027222956.png
    1626027222956.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 1626028558542.png
    1626028558542.png
    231 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
I decided on a fabric for the green body suit today - this is a stretch faux suede from JoAnn's in "Sycamor" color. It's hard to capture the color in the light with a crappy cell cam, but it is fairly close to the color in the screen grabs, maybe just a tad darker and definitely more green than the image below.

217108199_505679694044090_4440724606560103491_n.jpg

So, I've made a few choices after going over screen after screen of this costume.
  • I'm not going to go for 100% screen accuracy. The costume in the show is a bit of a hot mess. There are three different fabrics being used - the suit and gloves are zentai, the hood and cape are a lighter fabric of some kind and the rest is a leather material. The chest piece just tucks into the belt and isn't mounted on the body suit at all. The cape and collar are all over the place in the episode because they aren't tacked/mounted. Because of this, I'm going to only use faux suede for the costume and give classic Loki a proper sense of style and uniformity and make sure the pieces of the costume don't just fly about freely.
  • I'm working with Studio Boheme to replicate the boots and gloves in a yellow faux suede. I'm going to pad the cuff of the gloves so they aren't skin tight.
  • I have an Etsy seller who I am going to commission the body suit with in the green above.
  • I'm going to attempt to sew the rest.
The helmet is printing on the printer right now and I have begun to 3D model the other pieces and will convert them into a 2D pattern I can use. Here's the belt with a side by side comparison of Richard E Grant's selfie:
1627365082172.png

Last edited:
Helmet is printed and scaled right the first time! Need to reprint one of the horns because of some funky banding but then it's off to clean up.
1627583930722.png
1627583946372.png

has anyone seen any foam or pepakura templates for the helmet? I'm working on a foam version and have gotten the base helmet but am having issues with the horns and a template for those would be super helpful. Thanks!

has anyone seen any foam or pepakura templates for the helmet? I'm working on a foam version and have gotten the base helmet but am having issues with the horns and a template for those would be super helpful. Thanks!
I have not. Lots of 3D files for it on Etsy that could be unfolded in Pepakura.

Last edited:
Finding a good quality yellow, stretch, faux suede has been extremely difficult so I decided to take a chance with a white stretch suede and dye it. These are synthetics, so dying can be difficult. I decided to test two products: Dye Na Flow (sun yellow) and Rit Dye More Synthetic Fiber Dye (daffodil yellow).
These are two different approaches to dying. The Dye Na Flow is actually a very thinned down, heavily pigmented paint. The Rit dye is an actual dye.
To apply the Dye Na Flow I airbrushed it on to the fabric until it was covered and then let it dry. It covers the fabric, but even after dried, I could see faint traces of it rubbing off on a white sheet of paper. The directions say it can be set using an iron on the opposite side of the painted fabric. I did not heat set this in my testing.
The Rit dye is done with the same method as their other dyes: put the fabric in hot water on the stove and add the appropriate amount of dye. The swatch was rinsed and washed.
Here are the results of the two pieces I tested. The fabric is a 90% polyester and 10% spandex blend. The original color is on the left, the Dye Na Flow in the middle and the Rit on the right. The choice is pretty obvious here: the Rit dye is much richer and saturated with no color coming off. The only issue I see with the Rit is that the color is not 100% consistent throughout. This won't be a big issue with this particular fabric since it is supposed to mimic suede, and leathers aren't always consistent in color, but other synthetics may be problematic. Also, this may not be an issue when using the proper amount of water and dye per the instructions. I just winged it with a little bit of water and dye for the small swatch.
At any rate, the next step is to learn how to sew this fabric for Loki!
1628107490896.png

Received the boots from Studio Boheme! These are done with the faux suede that will match the rest of the yellow pieces. The idea is more of a "uniform" look, pre Void, instead of the piecemeal look from the series.
1646345117757.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back