Classic BSG Metron Device Build

bishopdonmiguel

I'm Bishop, the M.C.P. over at Bionic Moon Labs. I'm a huge fan of classic sci-fi props and accessories. The more obscure the better. I realize my posts will appeal mostly to the old farts like me but thought I'd share some of the work that the robots have completed in the lab.

I will start with a very obscure prop from Classic BSG... the Metron Device seen in the episode "The Young Lords." This prop was also seen in an episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century called "The Satyr."

I'll divide the build a bit so as not to overwhelm in one post.

First, reference shots...

MetronDevice.jpg

The original prop was probably held together with hot glue but I wanted to make something a bit more durable. The obvious characteristics of the device to be replicated; it is metallic red, has a design that is apparently painted on, and a switch located on a perforated sheet that activates an internal lighting source. The object looked familiar and my best guess was a "fuel (water) bottle." After searching on everyone's favorite online auction site, I found one that would work nicely and I was off to replicate the graphic as best as I could make out.

MetronDevice00.jpg

After that, it was time to remove the bottom of the bottle. Belt sanding seemed the most practical method.

MetronDevice02.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Now that the bottle was open, time to grab some supplies... perforated steel plate and a generic circuit board for the electronics...

MetronDevice03.jpg

As for the electronics, opted for several 12v landscape LEDs. With a 9v source, these will not burn at full illumination but that's fine...

MetronDevice05.jpg

After a bit of shaping and grinding, we have a cap for the top and a plate for the bottom. Also, a quick light test to make sure everything looks right...

MetronDevice06.jpg

MetronDevice04.jpg

To be continued...

As there is no ready place to mount the PCB, time to improvise a retention system.

Clay sculpts, some silicone and we're ready to cast new parts...

MetronDevice07.jpg

MetronDevice11.jpg

With the new parts, the PCB is encased in its new retention housing. Also, another light test before we go too far...

MetronDevice14.jpg

MetronDevice12.jpg

MetronDevice13.jpg

To be continued...

After selecting a fluorescent light cover as a diffuser, needed a design that would keep the light source secured while allowing the bottom perforated plate to be removable for replacing the 9v battery. This was achieved using a system of interconnecting hollow brass rods...

MetronDevice19.jpg

MetronDevice17.jpg

MetronDevice16.jpg

Some epoxy holds the retention system in place and we now have a removable battery door...

MetronDevice20.jpg

MetronDevice18.jpg

To be continued...

Thanks for your kind feedback guys. I have some other Classic BSG builds to share so if you’re interested, stay tuned.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back