Classic BSG Cylon Helmet Build

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a project that I sat on for at least 10 years.

Helmet 1.jpg

This the raw casting that I received from another member who molded it off an original, stunt helmet.
From the reference photos I've looked at the difference between the stunt and a "hero" helmet are the small
holes near the brow. The stunt version doesn't have them.

WP_20180425_001.jpg

I removed the flash with a dremel and did a little sanding.

WP_20180425_002.jpg

WP_20180426_003.jpg

The eye lens area was dremeled out (about 1/8" wide) and then the entire helmet was sanded down, then cleaned with soap/water.

WP_20180426_004.jpg

Cleaned inside and out. :)

img9.jpg

Came across this photo of a real helmet (unused due to glue on the outside) and suddenly realized that a small
light box had been designed for these with at least a couple dozen holes drilled in underneath for mounting
what looks like standard size, red LEDs. So at some point, I'll need to design and build a similar box.

The next step will be to start priming the entire helmet and begin the long process of filling in bubble holes, sanding/priming, etc..

Helmet looks pretty much awesome. Tell me which material did you use to create it? I am planning to make the same in some other color.

I thought the original series cylons eyes used light bulbs? being the 70's I don't think they had L.E.D.'S. :confused

Helmet looks pretty much awesome. Tell me which material did you use to create it? I am planning to make the same in some other color.

The helmet is made out of fiberglass.
One of the rpf members did a short run of these around 2004.
It looks like the original were made out of vacuum formed styrene with a couple of small pieces cast out of resin.

I thought the original series cylons eyes used light bulbs? being the 70's I don't think they had L.E.D.'S. :confused

If you take a close look at the reference photo below, you'll see 5 LEDs lit up within the single strip of red plastic. It looks like 5 LEDs are lit up at a time, running back and forth.
This would help explain all the holes in the previous photo. The LEDs were inserted from the bottom, so what we're seeing are just the sides of the LEDs.

Back in the 70's there weren't any super bright LEDs, but there were plenty of regular LEDs and red has always been common.

CylonCenturion-Helmet.jpg

The Cylon helmet is such an iconic design, watching this
Are these still available .. after such a long time?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back