Classic BSG Colonial Communicator Build

bishopdonmiguel

This item is less obscure than my previous builds but you don't see many of them around so I'll count it as qualified. I present to you the Colonial Communicator.

Reference photos...

bsg-sc-eit-commw.jpg

bsg-sc-eit-commb.jpg

As with the MediTron, this was likely a vacuformed item. I will be replicating the finish on this Communicator to match the MediTron.

I started with a 3D model and print. Easier than creating a model from wood or what not. My measurements are based on the great closeup of this prop from "Experiment In Terra"...

bsgcomm01.jpg

bsgcomm02.jpg

As the back will be removable, wanted to make a clean enclosure so I created a battery shelf with switch mount...

bscomm03.jpg

Test assembly with CD-4 graphic recreation...

bsgcomm04.jpg

Speaking of the CD-4 graphic, one of the things I love about classic props is the repurposing of common items into something new that is unrecognizable but also familiar. In the early 70's, a new audio system was introduced called Compatible Discrete 4 or CD-4 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatible_Discrete_4). Seems clear that the prop makers grabbed the graphics from a piece or pieces of equipment and incorporated into this prop. I have not found any equipment with this exact graphic but maybe someday it will turn up...

bsgcomm10.jpg

After sanding and filling, texture applied...

bsgcomm05.jpg

Time to work on the electronics. Having been "classically trained" with through hole components in high school electronics, I was a bit anxious going all SMD with this build but you gotta keep current with technology I suppose. Now where are my magnifying glasses!...

bsgcomm06.jpg

Holy stereo Batman, it works!...

bsgcomm07.jpg

First pulls from mold, standard black and "Ship Of Lights" white. For the latter, I used a cold cast pigment to give it a sparkling otherworldly look because plain white is boring...

bsgcomm08.jpg

Time to call for backup from Blue Squadron...

bscomm09.jpg

To be continued...

Now here's where I'd normally put a link to a silly fan parody but with flu season hitting hard this year, the production was half finished then went into hiatus.

The good news (or terribly bad news if you're not a fan of the Bionic Moon Labs silliness) is that the production is slated to wrap at the end of this month. So stay tuned!

As far as communicating in stereo, Lifes the same except for my shoes ;)

Another great build by you, and bonus points for what song I am referancing.

Hope all will get out of Sick Bay fast!

As far as communicating in stereo, Lifes the same except for my shoes [emoji6]

Another great build by you, and bonus points for what song I am referancing.

Hope all will get out of Sick Bay fast!

I’m man enough to admit you stumped me. Had to look it up.

DAMN IT! I should have known that.

Very nice work indeed.

You've come up with something that is similar to Kydex w/o being too different.

The circular bit looks like it may have help pipette tips or similar (I work in a lab these days.)

Good electronics!

Well at long last, spoof fan film featuring the Colonial Communicators is finished. The Viper Pilot Helmet also makes a brief appearance although somewhat modified for the production.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back