Classic Battlestar Galactica Cylon Pistol Build

bishopdonmiguel

I have plans to create a Colonial Laser Pistol but wanted to start with something easier. Figured the Cylon Pistol had less detail and I could learn much from it.

First, the obligatory screen shot...

bsg-sc-cpb.jpeg

As you may note, the original prop is a vacuformed item. My replica will be more idealized with more detail and light/sound. The first step was to design the pistol in 3D and print parts. I had some layer shifting issues with my printer that needed to be addressed...

bml-cp-01.jpg

Once I solved that, printing the parts went smoothly...

bml-cp-03.jpg
bml-cp-02.jpg

3D printing is great for prototyping but the parts need lots of cleanup so I spent hours sanding and filling and sanding and filling...

bml-cp-04.jpg

bml-cp-05.jpg

Once all the lines were removed, it was time to prime and get ready for molding...

bml-cp-06.jpg

For the emitter, I asked a friend with a lathe to add some grooves to acrylic rods. He returned 5 samples to me and they all looked great, just slightly different, so I cast all of them...

bml-cp-07.jpg

I replicated these using Smooth-On Crystal Clear 200. Was impressed that the resin captured the opacity perfectly...

bml-cp-08.jpg

First pull from the pistol body mold... success!...

bml-cp-09.jpg

Now to jam the electronics inside. Perfect fit!...

bml-cp-10.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:
Re: Battlestar Galactica Cylon Pistol Build

No Bionic Moon Labs prop replica is complete without a parody fan film. If you watched American television in the mid-1980's, you will probably be familiar with the material.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool! You definitely put a bunch of thought into its design.

I recently modeled and built one myself which is no where near as complex as yours.

efb3b162d2e8ca314bf5bf3e4cbc195d.jpg

I designed in Tinkercad, then printed on my home printer in ABS. Mine only had light.

I put it together as my RPF Secret Santa gift this year.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back