Clash of the Titans 1:1 Bubo by X-Plus

Kylash

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First ive seen of this and didnt see it mentioned here in a search. Looks amazing.

5c39c2de-0bb3-42e0-bb68-df1169539772.jpg

I have to have one of these... or maybe 2 or 3 of them!

Also just dropped the hammer. Hope they ship in the next month or so as advertised!

Life-sized 100th Harryhausen anniversary! Modeled after the original prop... very cool!

- Jim

Anyone going to SDCC tomorrow or Sunday?

The Star Ace Bubo Prototype is on display at the Noveltoys Booth # 2447 - on the directory as Der Korner.

Looks to be in the area on the floor map where Sideshow, Entertainment Earth and Reaction are set up.

Please post a few pics here if you can!

- Jim

“This 30 cm vinyl model of Bubo is scaled to match the actual size of the original puppet; with moveable wings, legs and head.”

I trust X-plus, they do some amazing stuff.

Well, if you like the Clash of the Titans "Bubo the Owl"... you will not be disappointed in this 1:1 scale figure from Star Ace / X-Plus !!!

I was really hoping the production figures would look as good as the prototype.... I've been waiting 40 years for this!

Got mine today and wanted to share a couple of pictures.....
Star Ace Bubo 1.JPG
Star Ace Bubo 2.JPG

Last edited:
Total disappointment. I have been waiting decades for this. Bought the cheap costume $15 rubber one to try and mod and gave up.

I am glad I have it, but insanely overpriced. Very dull. Not shiny like the pic. Plastic. Worth about $100. Never $300.

I will have to paint to make look good.

I would still get it as I just love Bubo but I know I paid three times what it's worth.

I disagree.... the thing about the Star Ace Bubo is that the size and dimensions are spot on!

The whole figure/prop proportionally looks correct compared to the original life-sized prop.

To me, in person, it's not as dull as you'd think. But... not sure what you're expecting. I agree that it isn't as shiny as the original prop when it was new and on screen and in early publicity photo's, but it does look good, IMO.

I've seen a bunch or attempts at a life-sized Bubo over the years (most all home made) and none compare to this version! I also bought the cheap Rubies Bubo costume prop (10 years ago?) and actually threw it in the trash a few hours after I go it.... it was horrible! And now those Rubies versions sell between $100 and $200 each on eBay... for some reason?!?!!!

The Star Ace Bubo prop is advertised to be Vinyl... how much that differs from normal action figure type plastic, I don't know. I'm by no means a modeler, but the type of action figure plastic they use can be vac-metaliazied (Sp?) The first action figure I remember being advertised with that style *paint* process is the Super Powers Cyborg figure from 1986 and he was a chrome shiny silver that looked real good at the time.

I feel like Star Ace may have dulled the paint down to actually match what the original prop looks like now in the Ray Harryhausen collection. From the pictures I've seen recently of the original prop on display, it has dulled up quite a bit and is not fresh looking anymore. Just a thought.

I do agree, however, that the new Bubo would look amazing with that type of super shiny gold and silver finish!!! If you follow through with research and even re-doing the *paint* please post it here with info and pics!

Personally, I thought the Sideshow Grogu (Baby Yoda) looks real good as is.... but some here on the forum have made that prop replica look even better, too!

Overall, again IMO, the Star Ace Bubo is a must have!

- Jim
Bubo Original Prop 1981.jpg
s-l1600 - 2022-09-19T144014.168.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't say anything about size. The size is fine as is the piece. It's just way overpriced IMO. Like I said, for $100 it's fine, but for the better part of $300 it should have the shiny movie finish.

I'll fix it.

Yeah I didn't say anything about size. The size is fine as is the piece. It's just way overpriced IMO. Like I said, for $100 it's fine, but for the better part of $300 it should have the shiny movie finish.

I'll fix it.
Yeah, I was just mentioning what I liked about it as a whole.

If you re-finish it, please post pics and some info on the process you took to do it!

I'd love to see it!

- Jim

Yeah, I was just mentioning what I liked about it as a whole.

If you re-finish it, please post pics and some info on the process you took to do it!

I'd love to see it!

- Jim

Got it.

Will post pics for sure. I ordered some Rub N Buff so I will get started as soon as it arrives.

Oh, are you thinking about taking it apart do do the re-finish?

Or will it come apart? I haven't looked into how it's put together.

- Jim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back