CKing life sized Christopher Reeve Superman Show Off

fuzzylover

Despite having this in my collection for what seems like eons now, I had never gotten around to taking any proper pics of one of my 'grails'.

This was a private commission made by Chris King back in 07' to have master sculptor Nikolas Dresios take on the Man of Steel.
To my knowledge only 10 of these are in existence (aside from any stray recasts that might pop up from some scumbag recaster, but
the owners of this guy seem to have him pretty well protected) and I was one of the lucky ones! This guy travelled all the way from Greece
to Massachusetts, and then made its way to Arizona where I had the award winning paint master, John Allred (of Here Be Monsters fame) bring Supes to life.

After returning to me, I lovingly hand laid and shaped eyelashes to give him even further realism. Aside from the silicon, hand punched
hair busts of museum caliber and costing in the several thousands, I have yet to find a more realistic and dynamic likeness
of Christopher Reeve. I stop and stare each and every time I walk past it and it gets compliments any time someone new visits.

I have had this bust now for the past 7 years and still haven't managed to do it justice with a proper display. My ultimate plan was
to eventually turn this into a full bodied, life size display alongside an 89' Keaton Batman, but now that we've remodeled the house (FINALLY) and I've got my collection
pretty much displayed the way I want it, I realize that it's just probably not going to happen, and there's probably no room for him. :( I'll probably be listing him
for sale in the coming days.
It's a real eye opener sometimes to get things just the way you want them, and then realize just how much remains locked away tight in
boxes and careful storage, not being appreciated by anybody. I know my own collecting tastes used to be almost exclusively life sized, and then Hot Toys
came around and when I could suddenly have 'near perfect' representations of all the characters I love in 1/6th scale.....well.....I've got a lot of heads in boxes now...ha ha.

Anyway, the link below takes you to the full album (didn't want to embed a gazillion pics in the thread). Enjoy my friends! (and a huge shout out to Chris, Nikolas, and John, who all had a hand in honoring the Superman we all know and love)

IMG_2838_zps7c825f94.jpg

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/kkoob/library/Superman Bust

It's a gorgeous sculpt and your copy has a terrific finish! I happen to own one finished by Allred as well, a keeper for sure.

Sorry to see you may have to sell this. Turned out really nice. By the way, it certainly wasn't 10 busts that were produced. I don't think it was even 5 in the end.
Chris

Sorry to see you may have to sell this. Turned out really nice. By the way, it certainly wasn't 10 busts that were produced. I don't think it was even 5 in the end.
Chris

Hey Chris!

Believe me, the day I pack him up won't be a fun one. Still back and forth about it, and truth be told, your correction of my '10' castings estimate and its increasing rarity gives me serious pause.

John did an amazing job of the finish work and I couldn't have been happier!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back