Cinderella, Prince Charming Prince Charming is DONE!!!

TeresaMRoberts

So I really thought all of the "bad website" was hoax... Guess I was wrong. Any who, My kids and I are planing our first trip to Disney World the week of Halloween. They already want to bring multiple costumes. One of the nights we are eating dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table where they take your pictures before dinner. My children want to dress up like Cinderella and Prince Charming. They also want me to make a Rapunzel and Flynn Rider costumes as well. So we will see where we are time and money wise. I'm really not happy because I already started this thread on the old site not realizing it bad. So I'm hoping my tips and tricks will help someone else down the line :)

DSC00813-Copy.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Cinderella, Prince Charming, Fairy Godmother

Just FYI, while the kids will be ok to dress in costume throughout the day, I'm pretty sure adults are only allowed in the park in costume during the hours of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (which you need to buy tickets too).

Though I think they let party ticket holders in at like 5-ish so for a dinner you'd be ok.

Last edited:

First thing is first... I've never created my own pattern pieces for an ENTIRE costume at least not yet. I usually start with a pattern and then change the pattern pieces or add some new pieces to get the look I want.

For the Cinderella dress I stated with this McCall's Pattern.
M6139.jpg

I'm really good at working with pictures in my head of what I want he end result to look like. If your not make sure to draw it out. You don't have to be an artist but you need a goal for your end result.

Deciding on fabric. I made a Cinderella costume for my daughter when she was two. I used stretch velvet. (velvet help hide imperfections in my design) This time I wanted something a little more challenging but can still stretch because she is 5 and doesn't treat a ball gown with the grace it would deserve. So i need to make sure the dress will move with her. I also wanted little bolder color vs powder blue. I chose Stretch Satin and Sparkle Organza for the skirt.

First I cut out all the pieces for the bodice. Then trace them onto another paper or I find interfacing works really well to create pattern pieces. This time I recently had packages delivered from amazon and the boxes were stuffed large sheets of brown paper. I iron the paper and reused it :)

100_0853.jpg

Once you trace the pieces your draw your adjustments on the paper. In my case, I wanted more of a "V" in the front, and cap sleeves. With the cap sleeves I will also have to some sort of straps to keep the dress up because she has no bust. I've decided on a sing strap around the neck.

100_0856.jpg

This is shot of the original pieces next to my altered pieces.

For the cap sleeve patterns I measured out how wide I needed to make them on my daughter. With seam allowance 8 inches. I new I wanted the width of the thickest part 2 1/2 inches. So I drew a 3 1/4 inch line down the center of the 8 inch line. Then a crescent moon shape around the bottom to connect the lines. Make sense?

I cut out two sets once is my fashion side and once is my lining. I sewed them together and this where I'm at :) (ps the first bodice I made came out way to short. Had to scrap it and start over! At first you don't succeed try try again!)

100_0855.jpg

Last edited:

Just FYI, while the kids will be ok to dress in costume throughout the day, I'm pretty sure adults are only allowed in the park in costume during the nighttime hours of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (which you need to buy tickets too).

Thanks for the heads up :) that actually works out the way I have it planned is doing dinner at Cinderella's castle right before Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I can't make reservations till April 30 so I guess that will play a part in making my costume

After looking at some pageant dresses pictures I wanted to make a lace up back. I found these adorable rhinestone connector.
7070L.jpg

I wanted to connect on side to the dress and the other side us where I put the lace through.
I've never made a lace up dress before... Didn't think it would be that difficult. Sewed it... Looked BEAUTIFUL... Tried it on my daughter and scrunching bad! Later found out it's called "horizontal folds". After googling the problem found out Your suppose to use boning on the edges where you lace up the dress. Guess I should have googled it BEFORE i tried it. Anyone who hasn't worked with boning let me tell you plastic boning is a waste of money, it heats up with your body heat and doesn't hold its form. I don't have anywhere local that sells metal boning so I've ordered it but has put that part of my dress on hold.

So I'll start working on the skirt a little bit. I found a great tutorial on the fishing line hem I'll be trying. If your interested here is the link Curly Hem Tutorial: Sewing a Fishing Line Hem - YouTube

I used the skirt patterns pieces with no alterations to them. I couldn't find 100 lb fishing line because the area I live in so I had to settle for 50 lb line.
I also used rolled hem foot. I've been sewing for 25 years and just now learning about this foot! I bought a universal on AMAZON.com for $10 works great. I have a Huskavarna Viking SE and to make a HV foot would have cost me $40 bucks.

100_0848.jpg

100_0851.jpg

I wanted to create a custom rhinestone design for the front of the dress.

041212112651.jpg

I found this drawn tiara design online. I cut it and angled the sides to the "V" shape.
041212112414.jpg

I taped the silicone adhesive sheet sticky side up to the design. I then place the rhinestones I want face down on the sheet. When your finished you have your design.

041212112523.jpg

This looks like it's going to be beautiful!!! I can't wait to see!

When are you headed to Disney? There's a whole slew of Disney cosplayers meeting up there for one or two MNSSHPs the week of Sept 29-Oct5 !

Working on the crinoline. I found a great blog site for instructions ( sugardale: How to Make a Petticoat )

I cut my crinoline netting (make sure to get crinoline netting its stiffer than regular tulle) in to 8 inch sections. I am using 8 yards for the bottom tier ( two 4 yard sections), 4 yards for middle tier, and two yards for top tier.

100_0862.jpg

I used satin ribbon around the bottom tier.

100_0860.jpg

I used white grosgrain ribbon to hide the seems in between each tier.

100_0863.jpg

I added another layer of crinoline and a slip as a bottom layer. The slip helps keep the netting from rubbing against the skin and causing irritation. I'm also getting ready to put the plastic boning in the bottom of the skirt to make a "hoop" to help the crinoline layers stick out more and help keep my daughter from tripping over the slip layer so it doesn't just "hang".

This looks like it's going to be beautiful!!! I can't wait to see!

When are you headed to Disney? There's a whole slew of Disney cosplayers meeting up there for one or two MNSSHPs the week of Sept 29-Oct5 !

Awe! I'll be going October 27-November 2nd I'll be there for the BIG DAY!

(I'll be looking back at your Repunzel thread picking up some pointers for her costume.)

Okay, SO I'm almost finished with the skirt part. Starting with the lowest layer first, China Silk slip layer that I went to the dollar store and got a hola hoop and inserted into the bottom. The plastic boning didn't cut it and my daughter was still tripping over it. Then I have two layers of crinoline, then a layer of satin (turquoise in matching color). Then two layers of sparkle organza (one layer china blue with a layer of peacock over it) and this is the final result. (Yes the shirt she is wearing matches but has nothing to do with the costume.
100_0869.jpg

I still need to add the top ruffle to the skirt and attach it to the bodice of the dress.

Any thoughts on how to latch the strap around the neck ? I know I can use plan hook but trying to come up with something more... creative or pretty...

Update...i took out the hula hoop, got a few yards in metal boning. Its lighter, and more flexable. Works even better to puff it out to!

Last edited:

Almost finished! attached top ruffle to skirt and then attached bodice. Once on her the dress ended up being to heavy to do strap around the neck. So I'm going to have to attach the straps to the back of the dress. I also still need to make a strap to lace up the back. I'm just using ribbon right now. This is where I'm at :)
FrontofTaylorsDress.jpg

BackofTaylorsDress.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I had to use my cell, My camera doesn't want to work this morning!

Cinderella-4.jpg
This is my favorite Cinderella dress. but I hate the fabric they used... it just looks cheap to me :)

I think I'm pretty much done with Cinderella :) I finished sewing on the straps and made a strap for lace up back. I let her put on the Crown we got for the occasion as well as the elbow gloves and it wouldn't be Cinderella without her glass slippers.
100_0871.jpg

100_0872.jpg

100_0873.jpg

100_0874.jpg

100_0875.jpg

100_0877.jpg

100_0878.jpg

Now it's time for the prince. So I'm using these two costumes that are attached as my goals. There are things I like about each one. I found this Burda 2461 costume pattern to start with:
2461.jpg

PS this is an out of print pattern (discontinued) I had to find somewhere online to still be able to buy it. PatternReview.com still had some THANK GOODNESS! This pattern was PERFECT!

Last edited:

This is so gorgeous! Your daughter looks stunning and I can't wait to see the prince :)

Sorry I know it's been a while but I got busy learning how to screen print and was working on some t-shirts and autograph books for our disney trip lol.

So I started working strait from the pattern. Doing the bodice part (not sure if that is what you call it). The pattern does not call for a lining however I've decided to do one because the fabric is kind of see though and I just think it will be better all around. Something softer against his skin on the inside. Took Me Weeks to find this white bocade fabric. and then it was $20 a yard! Good thing I making it for my little man and it didn't take too much material!

100_1090.jpg

I've decided to do the stand up color in red just like the attache prince picture above. I doing red satin because that's what I'm doing his pants in. Red stretch satin. I search though like 20 pages of "crown" embroidery designs till i found "the one" I wanted. I used embroiderydesigns.com I cut out the pieces first.

100_1092.jpg

then stitched the crown on each side...

100_1096.jpg

Once I had both crowns on each side I cut off the stabilizer around the collar piece. The pattern does call for interfacing on the color however. The original pattern didn't not have embroidered designs on it. So i'm going to use my stabilizer as interfacing too. I don't want to make it tooo thick . I'm afraid if i put interfacing as well on it that it will not stand right. (ps I re-did the collar 3 times before I got the crowns where I wanted them lol)

100_1099.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Cinderella, Prince Charming

Super cute!!! I also love the new Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella design. Can't wait to see this all finished!

Re: Cinderella, Prince Charming

the embroidery is awesome.
i really like the the progess of the dress coming together. She is adorable as well as the dress on her. well done x)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back