Cinderella, Prince Charming Prince Charming is DONE!!!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by TeresaMRoberts, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TeresaMRoberts

TeresaMRoberts Well-Known Member

So I really thought all of the "bad website" was hoax... Guess I was wrong. Any who, My kids and I are planing our first trip to Disney World the week of Halloween. They already want to bring multiple costumes. One of the nights we are eating dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table where they take your pictures before dinner. My children want to dress up like Cinderella and Prince Charming. They also want me to make a Rapunzel and Flynn Rider costumes as well. So we will see where we are time and money wise. I'm really not happy because I already started this thread on the old site not realizing it bad. So I'm hoping my tips and tricks will help someone else down the line :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. nolatron

nolatron New Member

Re: Cinderella, Prince Charming, Fairy Godmother

Just FYI, while the kids will be ok to dress in costume throughout the day, I'm pretty sure adults are only allowed in the park in costume during the hours of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (which you need to buy tickets too).

Though I think they let party ticket holders in at like 5-ish so for a dinner you'd be ok.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. TeresaMRoberts

First thing is first... I've never created my own pattern pieces for an ENTIRE costume at least not yet. I usually start with a pattern and then change the pattern pieces or add some new pieces to get the look I want.

For the Cinderella dress I stated with this McCall's Pattern.
    [​IMG]

I'm really good at working with pictures in my head of what I want he end result to look like. If your not make sure to draw it out. You don't have to be an artist but you need a goal for your end result.

Deciding on fabric. I made a Cinderella costume for my daughter when she was two. I used stretch velvet. (velvet help hide imperfections in my design) This time I wanted something a little more challenging but can still stretch because she is 5 and doesn't treat a ball gown with the grace it would deserve. So i need to make sure the dress will move with her. I also wanted little bolder color vs powder blue. I chose Stretch Satin and Sparkle Organza for the skirt.

First I cut out all the pieces for the bodice. Then trace them onto another paper or I find interfacing works really well to create pattern pieces. This time I recently had packages delivered from amazon and the boxes were stuffed large sheets of brown paper. I iron the paper and reused it :)

[​IMG]

Once you trace the pieces your draw your adjustments on the paper. In my case, I wanted more of a "V" in the front, and cap sleeves. With the cap sleeves I will also have to some sort of straps to keep the dress up because she has no bust. I've decided on a sing strap around the neck.

[​IMG]

This is shot of the original pieces next to my altered pieces.

For the cap sleeve patterns I measured out how wide I needed to make them on my daughter. With seam allowance 8 inches. I new I wanted the width of the thickest part 2 1/2 inches. So I drew a 3 1/4 inch line down the center of the 8 inch line. Then a crescent moon shape around the bottom to connect the lines. Make sense?

I cut out two sets once is my fashion side and once is my lining. I sewed them together and this where I'm at :) (ps the first bodice I made came out way to short. Had to scrap it and start over! At first you don't succeed try try again!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. TeresaMRoberts

Thanks for the heads up :) that actually works out the way I have it planned is doing dinner at Cinderella's castle right before Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I can't make reservations till April 30 so I guess that will play a part in making my costume

5. TeresaMRoberts

After looking at some pageant dresses pictures I wanted to make a lace up back. I found these adorable rhinestone connector.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to connect on side to the dress and the other side us where I put the lace through.
    I've never made a lace up dress before... Didn't think it would be that difficult. Sewed it... Looked BEAUTIFUL... Tried it on my daughter and scrunching bad! Later found out it's called "horizontal folds". After googling the problem found out Your suppose to use boning on the edges where you lace up the dress. Guess I should have googled it BEFORE i tried it. Anyone who hasn't worked with boning let me tell you plastic boning is a waste of money, it heats up with your body heat and doesn't hold its form. I don't have anywhere local that sells metal boning so I've ordered it but has put that part of my dress on hold.

So I'll start working on the skirt a little bit. I found a great tutorial on the fishing line hem I'll be trying. If your interested here is the link Curly Hem Tutorial: Sewing a Fishing Line Hem - YouTube

I used the skirt patterns pieces with no alterations to them. I couldn't find 100 lb fishing line because the area I live in so I had to settle for 50 lb line.
    I also used rolled hem foot. I've been sewing for 25 years and just now learning about this foot! I bought a universal on AMAZON.com for $10 works great. I have a Huskavarna Viking SE and to make a HV foot would have cost me $40 bucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TeresaMRoberts

I wanted to create a custom rhinestone design for the front of the dress.

[​IMG]

I found this drawn tiara design online. I cut it and angled the sides to the "V" shape. [​IMG]

I taped the silicone adhesive sheet sticky side up to the design. I then place the rhinestones I want face down on the sheet. When your finished you have your design.

[​IMG]

7. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

This looks like it's going to be beautiful!!! I can't wait to see!

When are you headed to Disney? There's a whole slew of Disney cosplayers meeting up there for one or two MNSSHPs the week of Sept 29-Oct5 !

8. TeresaMRoberts

Working on the crinoline. I found a great blog site for instructions ( sugardale: How to Make a Petticoat )

I cut my crinoline netting (make sure to get crinoline netting its stiffer than regular tulle) in to 8 inch sections. I am using 8 yards for the bottom tier ( two 4 yard sections), 4 yards for middle tier, and two yards for top tier.

[​IMG]

I used satin ribbon around the bottom tier.

[​IMG]

I used white grosgrain ribbon to hide the seems in between each tier.

[​IMG]

I added another layer of crinoline and a slip as a bottom layer. The slip helps keep the netting from rubbing against the skin and causing irritation. I'm also getting ready to put the plastic boning in the bottom of the skirt to make a "hoop" to help the crinoline layers stick out more and help keep my daughter from tripping over the slip layer so it doesn't just "hang".

9. TeresaMRoberts

Awe! I'll be going October 27-November 2nd I'll be there for the BIG DAY!

(I'll be looking back at your Repunzel thread picking up some pointers for her costume.)

10. TeresaMRoberts

Okay, SO I'm almost finished with the skirt part. Starting with the lowest layer first, China Silk slip layer that I went to the dollar store and got a hola hoop and inserted into the bottom. The plastic boning didn't cut it and my daughter was still tripping over it. Then I have two layers of crinoline, then a layer of satin (turquoise in matching color). Then two layers of sparkle organza (one layer china blue with a layer of peacock over it) and this is the final result. (Yes the shirt she is wearing matches but has nothing to do with the costume.
    [​IMG]

I still need to add the top ruffle to the skirt and attach it to the bodice of the dress.

Any thoughts on how to latch the strap around the neck ? I know I can use plan hook but trying to come up with something more... creative or pretty...

Update...i took out the hula hoop, got a few yards in metal boning. Its lighter, and more flexable. Works even better to puff it out to!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  11. Guri

Guri Sr Member

That's adorable, and so pretty! I bet she feels amazing. :)

12. TeresaMRoberts

Almost finished! attached top ruffle to skirt and then attached bodice. Once on her the dress ended up being to heavy to do strap around the neck. So I'm going to have to attach the straps to the back of the dress. I also still need to make a strap to lace up the back. I'm just using ribbon right now. This is where I'm at :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I had to use my cell, My camera doesn't want to work this morning!

13. TeresaMRoberts

[​IMG] This is my favorite Cinderella dress. but I hate the fabric they used... it just looks cheap to me :)

14. TeresaMRoberts

I think I'm pretty much done with Cinderella :) I finished sewing on the straps and made a strap for lace up back. I let her put on the Crown we got for the occasion as well as the elbow gloves and it wouldn't be Cinderella without her glass slippers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. TeresaMRoberts

Now it's time for the prince. So I'm using these two costumes that are attached as my goals. There are things I like about each one. I found this Burda 2461 costume pattern to start with:
    [​IMG]
    PS this is an out of print pattern (discontinued) I had to find somewhere online to still be able to buy it. PatternReview.com still had some THANK GOODNESS! This pattern was PERFECT!

16. Izzzie

Izzzie Member

This is so gorgeous! Your daughter looks stunning and I can't wait to see the prince :)

17. TeresaMRoberts

Sorry I know it's been a while but I got busy learning how to screen print and was working on some t-shirts and autograph books for our disney trip lol.

So I started working strait from the pattern. Doing the bodice part (not sure if that is what you call it). The pattern does not call for a lining however I've decided to do one because the fabric is kind of see though and I just think it will be better all around. Something softer against his skin on the inside. Took Me Weeks to find this white bocade fabric. and then it was $20 a yard! Good thing I making it for my little man and it didn't take too much material!

[​IMG]

I've decided to do the stand up color in red just like the attache prince picture above. I doing red satin because that's what I'm doing his pants in. Red stretch satin. I search though like 20 pages of "crown" embroidery designs till i found "the one" I wanted. I used embroiderydesigns.com I cut out the pieces first.

[​IMG]

then stitched the crown on each side...

[​IMG]

Once I had both crowns on each side I cut off the stabilizer around the collar piece. The pattern does call for interfacing on the color however. The original pattern didn't not have embroidered designs on it. So i'm going to use my stabilizer as interfacing too. I don't want to make it tooo thick . I'm afraid if i put interfacing as well on it that it will not stand right. (ps I re-did the collar 3 times before I got the crowns where I wanted them lol)

[​IMG]

18. KristinaLeigh

KristinaLeigh Active Member

Re: Cinderella, Prince Charming

Super cute!!! I also love the new Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella design. Can't wait to see this all finished!

19. TeresaMRoberts

Thanks! I'm stuck at work right now and all I can think about is wanting to be in my sewing room!

20. WollstoneCrafts

WollstoneCrafts New Member

the embroidery is awesome.
    i really like the the progess of the dress coming together. She is adorable as well as the dress on her. well done x)

21. WollstoneCrafts

WollstoneCrafts New Member

the embroidery is awesome.
    i really like the the progess of the dress coming together. She is adorable as well as the dress on her. well done x)

22. Tastyburger

Tastyburger Well-Known Member

What a cute little girl!
    Cherish the time she still wants to play dress up with Mommy, and hope she never outgrows it!
    My daughter outgrew the Princess phase about two years ago. Now she wants to be monsters like Daddy :p

23. TeresaMRoberts

Got the top part of the prince costume together :) Still need to put the cuffs on, add button holes and add the establishments shoulder boards, shoulder cords and AIGUILLETTE. I think I should but the bottom on before the establishments though :)

I think its coming together nicely :) liner I think looks really nice I'm glade i didn't follow the pattern lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. TeresaMRoberts

I'm more worried about my son than my daughter... He wants be be a prince for when he meets cinderella I think its all iron man and transformers after this year lol. My daughter is too much like me to stop the dress up. LOL We are too theatrical!

25. TeresaMRoberts

Embroidered the cuff and got that on :)

[​IMG]

26. TeresaMRoberts

Shoulder Boards...

First measured what size I wanted to make them. then I picked the shape. You can do whatever but I went with the traditional rectangle with one rounded end. Then I digitized the shape on my computer into a embroidery design. And decided to place the same design I embroidered on the cuffs, in the center of the shoulder board.

[​IMG]

27. P4r4dox86

P4r4dox86 Well-Known Member

Awesome work! My fiancee and I did a Cinderella and Prince Charming costume earlier this year for a local convention, and again for a ball we attended last month. I hope the little ones love the costumes you're making, because they look fantastic!

28. Zanaji

Zanaji New Member

This is gorgeous! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

29. TeresaMRoberts

Ok after I embroidered the shoulder boards I actually had 1 too many because my machine messed up on one. (well i used the wrong stableizer for the first one oops!) So I cut this one out used it as the pattern. I traced it on to some really think interfacing.

[​IMG]

I traced it twice making a really big oval.
    [​IMG]

I cut it out and placed it on to the embroidered design. Then stitched around the interfacing.
    [​IMG]

Trimed the edges...

[​IMG]

put it inside out and I had my almost finished shoulder board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on the inside I put large snaps

[​IMG]

As well has hand sew fringe around only the top edge.
    [​IMG]

Sewed them directly on to the jacket by stitching only the bottem part on. then the top fold over and snaps shut. reason I did it this way is that I can easily put my shoulder cord on when i'm ready. And it hid the stitching I use to attach them to the jacket...

[​IMG]

Then I stitched on the bottom part of the jacket and had time try it on for any adjustments. Lucky me, he didn't need any. Still need the front chest plate, belt, and all the buttons. I just used safty pins to make sure it fit everywhere lol
    [​IMG]

30. TeresaMRoberts

Finished the pants tonight. Self explanatory, regular pants pattern. Strip of gold down the outside of each leg... Just need to hem them but other than that they are done...

[​IMG]

31. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. They are absolutely GLOWING with pride! And they should be! Those costumes are beautiful! I love the artistic decisions you made and your in progress photos are wonderful. They're definitely going to be a hit!!!

I wish we were going at the same time so I could see them in person!

32. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

This is just exceptional! *envies your embroidery machine*

33. TeresaMRoberts

Finished the belt!
    I embroidered that same design on the cuffs and shoulder boards for the belt. Just embroidered the design over and over.
    I used that same thick interfacing cut a strip 1 1/4" wide wrapped the embroidered fabric around the interfacing. Bought the military shinny brass buckle new for a few dollars at a military surplus store.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  34. TeresaMRoberts

Ok I think I'm done. I was going to do this like chest plate cover that covered up the buttons like on the Prince picture I showed earlier of one down in the park. But after getting to this point I think this looks good with out that chest plate.

Does he look like a prince?!

If so... then I guess I'm done!

[​IMG]

For the aiguillette I kinda cheated... So I did learn how to tie the knots my self. Some amazing Youtube videos. But the paracord I was using just wasn't wide enough or stiff enough. I though about buying them but they are $100's of bucks and I knew they were be HUGE... Plus i wanted metallic (of course those or even more expensive) When I had a brilliant thought. Sometimes you see them on Band Uniforms for schools. So I got to looking and FINALLY found a site that pre made shoulder cords and keeps them in stock with no minimum order! and only $10 each. PLUS already had the metal tips on them. So I ordered two! The first I used for across his chest. Now I still had to un-knot them and make them shorter but turned out cute. For the other one I completely untied it used it to make the shoulder cord and knotted a pretty military bugle knot/braid. I couldn't have been happier with the way it turned out :)

For those of you who are sewers you should know BUTTONS ARE EXPENSIVE! Atleast at the fabric stores they are... If you need alot (like i did for last years hook costume) I was going to use a lot on this but ended up changing the desing I bought these buttons with a royal type of crest on them. (for hook they had anchors) I found this awsome ebay store where you can buy buttons in bulk and CHEAP! http://stores.ebay.com/i-and-k-Button-Company I like them cause my buttons match my costumes perfectly!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  35. morgandea

morgandea New Member

Wow, these look *so* amazing - excellent work :D

36. TeresaMRoberts

37. costumemama

costumemama New Member

Excuse me if this is a double post...I thought I had posted but I can't see it??
    Anyhow, I am SO inspired by your work, I have a 5 year old daughter who wants to be sleeping beauty for Halloween and if her dress looks half as good as your daughter's she will be thrilled!! A few quick questions...
    -You said you did two layers of crinoline..did you do two whole layered slips? Or just one slip plus an extra layer of crinoline?
    -Approximately how many yards of fabric did you need for each skirt layer (just so I have an idea of what to buy?)
    Thank you SO much for your help! You are awesome!
    -Costumemama

38. TeresaMRoberts

I did two layers of the crinoline netting skirts, then on the bottom white slip layer. (so really 3 layers) in the bottom of the slip layer I sewed a casing for the metal corset boning I put in the bottom. It helped puff out the dress more and so the fabric was all out of the way of her feet so she doesn't trip.

Then the actually blue skirt is 3 layers as well. (probably why its so heavy. Top is sparkle organza peacock color, Middle is Sparkle organza china blue. Originally that was the plan but you could see the netting though the sparkle organza so i did a layer of satin underneath that (third layer). I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 yards per layer of organza/ satin. I didn't buy enough the first time, got half way through cutting peices and had to make another fabric run. I started out with 2 yards and then I can't remember if I got 1 more yard or another 2 yards. I know that seams kinda excessive. But the outcome is worth it. :) Not sure what fabric your looking for but I got mine from Threatre House. They have the same sparkle organza fabric in pink . I just think its so pretty. Its a local store for me but they ship world wide. If you have any other questions on how I did something or where I got anything let me know. Glade to help!

Here is Theatre House's link if you want it:

Sparkle Organza "Twinkle" - Theatre House, Inc. 1-800-827-2414

Maybe this visual will help. Sometimes easier to show than explain.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  39. Guri

Guri Sr Member

It's so beautiful!! Wonderfully done. :)

40. TeresaMRoberts

Added a few new pics to the first post and here is a few more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. TeresaMRoberts

42. TeresaMRoberts

43. Guri

Guri Sr Member

They're adorable! And look so authentic, like true royalty. Beautiful setting you choose for the photos.

Seeing these costumes come together was very fun too, thanks for sharing it. :D

44. TeresaMRoberts

Awe Thanks :) We in Disney world this week for Halloween. We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside and I thought the property would be awesome for some pictures :)

I also forgot to tell everyone I made a matching cape. Used Twilight Stretch Velvet. It's white with silver sparkles, matching blue liner with fo-fur edge around the collar. I also found a rhinestone clasp that matched PERFECT!

[​IMG]

Worked out great because it did get a little chilly at the party later in the night :)

45. visionatevms

visionatevms New Member

This if GORGEOUS!!!!! wish I was a mom who could sew like that. I can do VERY basic. I know we can't buy anything here but was wondering if you have every made these costumes to sell? I would be interested in getting the prince if you do. I have been searching all over and can't find one. A friend of mine's mom is willing to sew one but it is just about impossible to find a pattern. thanks for your help. Amy

46. TeresaMRoberts

I've never sold them. Primarily because people aren't willing to pay what they are worth lol. I probably have almost $150 just in materials. If you have a friend willing to sew one this is the pattern I used for his jacket.

Burda 2461 from Burda patterns is a sewing pattern

I used just a regular pants pattern. :) Feel free to ask any questions that might help!

47. AbbyDarkStar

AbbyDarkStar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This thread makes my ovaries ache and my fingers itch to sew something. Absolutely beautiful work and the costumes came out GORGEOUS (the cute kids don't hurt either ;))

48. hlsst7

hlsst7 New Member

Your costumes are beautiful! I was wondering if you could tell me more about the silicone sticky sheet? I was wondering the brand/product because I would like to use it for a design I am doing. Where did you buy it? Thanks for your help!

49. Zeppo

Zeppo Sr Member

Those turned out awesome, and they both look great!

50. TeresaMRoberts