Chronicle Collectibles Buck Rogers Starfighter - Question

oneknightr

Hi everyone! I'm a new member here but a longtime member on Rebelscum as I have a few Master Replicas and eFX studio scale Star Wars ships.

Recently, I was lucky enough to pick up a sealed Chronicle Collectibles Buck Rogers Starfighter but unlucky that it was damaged when I opened it. It's a beautiful ship and I'm still happy to have it, but I need help with how to repair it. One of the thrusters snapped off. It's a clean-ish break. Seems easy enough to just glue it back on but I was wondering what type of glue I should use. I don't have any modeling skills and I don't want to risk damaging it more, so I don't think I should try to scrape some of the old glue off. It's a clean fit when I have it rotated to the right spot. Would E6000 glue work or is there something better?

The thruster has some weight to it, so I want to use a glue that will hold strong.

Also, the squadron color sticker on the right side was applied carelessly. Other than that, the rest of the ship looks good. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Attachments

• IMG_8575.jpg
    IMG_8575.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 68370024519__EF49E05B-AF7C-416F-AFBB-C3B7B276170E.jpg
    68370024519__EF49E05B-AF7C-416F-AFBB-C3B7B276170E.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
  • 68369824404__9ABD89CD-75AD-4A81-AE80-7EC54121C2D2.jpg
    68369824404__9ABD89CD-75AD-4A81-AE80-7EC54121C2D2.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 68369843245__CD8EA7A7-FEBE-402C-BAD3-B159335E9208.jpg
    68369843245__CD8EA7A7-FEBE-402C-BAD3-B159335E9208.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 68369849034__5997D619-0DD6-4118-AB08-D7A35F8486B2.jpg
    68369849034__5997D619-0DD6-4118-AB08-D7A35F8486B2.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8581.jpg
    IMG_8581.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 192
Some kind of super glue should do the job just fine. Considering the cleanness of the break, I'd get a super glue that has a relatively fast set time so you're sitting for 10 minutes holding the piece in place waiting for it sry enough for it to hold.

How did this get by me??? I had no idea they offered these! Dammit!
I missed it too! I only found out about this a few months ago.

It was up for preorder Q3 2015 and shipped Q1 2017. Chronicle Collectibles said only 100 were produced (post 167 in the link below). I think they went bankrupt shortly after that. Lots of info on the starfighter in the statue forum post below as well.

I paid more than I wanted to for it, but I don't think I'll ever get another chance at picking one up since there are only 100 out there.

I agree with Riceball. Use superglue, but see if you can get the medium to thick viscosity kind. If you're not used to the thin viscosity stuff, through capillary action, the glue can quickly migrate into unwanted places and drip.

Test fit the parts and use tape or some kind of marker to ensure you glue the thruster back in the exact same orientation it broke off from. You will not get another chance to glue it again, if the bond is immediate.

TazMan2000

The only hesitation I would have with CA/Superglue is the potential to fog depending on humidity, air circulation, and how much is applied etc...

Normally it is more of a problem with clear parts, but can happen elsewhere

You may get none, you may not

I recently had this happen to a model after I glued it to the base. Maybe if I had let it dry in some other position, or had more air circulation it wouldn't have happened. I had done a wash on the base earlier and maybe it was a bit wet even though not appearing wet. Who knows

Maybe I applied to much as it did blob out a little and that is a small part

P8302160 (3).JPG

Not a big deal normally before painting or if you can easily do a touch up paint job

Maybe a 2 part epoxy? Gives you some working time but on the flip side, takes a very long time to dry so you will have to make sure is supported enough and not moved while drying

I would use some 5-minute epoxy, considering what they were charging for this model the decals look like crap.

Last edited:
You're going to want Devcon Plastic Welder: epoxy is brittle, and so is super glue. The stuff I recommend works on all sorts of different materials, sets up in 4 minutes, hand be handled in 1 hour, and holds up to 3500 lbs.

plus: it comes in cream and black,

Holding something in place for 4-5 minutes is actually more difficult than it sounds...at least for me. I'm impatient and get bored easily. :lol:

It's not like the OP will be holding this and flying it through the living room....pew, pew....Or will he? The strength of super glue will be find sitting on a display shelf.

TazMan2000

Holding something in place for 4-5 minutes is actually more difficult than it sounds...at least for me. I'm impatient and get bored easily. :lol:

It's not like the OP will be holding this and flying it through the living room....pew, pew....Or will he? The strength of super glue will be find sitting on a display shelf.

TazMan2000
That's why I use masking tape. :D

And no, I don't trust superglue; especially on large parts held on with a relatively small surface attachment area in comparison.

That's why I use masking tape. :D

And no, I don't trust superglue; especially on large parts held on with a relatively small surface attachment area in comparison.

Really? I've been using Mercury Adhesives Medium Viscosity and haven't had an issue. I like it because if there is any excess glue, a paper towel quickly wiped across the surface picks it all up. Of course, there are some materials that super glue isn't compatible with, and other glues must be used.

I like it because it doesn't discolour the model, as some other epoxy glues do, but I agree that epoxies have a superior bond. I have no idea what the Chronicle Starfighter is made out of, so that is an important point to know to determine the proper glue as well.

TazMan2000

Really? I've been using Mercury Adhesives Medium Viscosity and haven't had an issue. I like it because if there is any excess glue, a paper towel quickly wiped across the surface picks it all up. Of course, there are some materials that super glue isn't compatible with, and other glues must be used.

I like it because it doesn't discolour the model, as some other epoxy glues do, but I agree that epoxies have a superior bond. I have no idea what the Chronicle Starfighter is made out of, so that is an important point to know to determine the proper glue as well.

TazMan2000
That's a good point: it should be good just as long as its' not made of polypropelyne! :rofl:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back