Chroming questions

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sucre, Aug 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sucre

Sucre New Member

Hey, guys, I have a few chroming questions.
    I noticed that Volpin got his Guy Manuel Daft Punk helmet chromed in silver, but somehow he made it turn out gold on his own. Any answers on that? Any cheap chroming services or DIY? Also, could you recommend any gold chrome spray paints (rattle cans)? I know that they aren't great, but are cheap. All answers are appreciated.

2. Sucre

Sucre New Member

Bump. Can't let the thread die.

3. Sucre

Sucre New Member

answer meeeeeee

4. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

really? cool your jets

did you even do a search on here?

Utri and Sean like this.
  5. Sucre

Sucre New Member

Yeah, it's hard to find info, it's confusing to newbies

6. zorg

ok.

have you asked voplin?

which country are you located in?

there are a pile of videos on you tube for alcad etc..

for proper chroming we need to know where you are to give you any directions.

7. Sucre

Sucre New Member

Can't I order a kit? I don't like putting where I live out there, and, I doubt there are any chroming places near me, and if they are, they'll be really expensive. As for contacting volpin, I've tried to email him multiple times.

8. HighlanderFX

HighlanderFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We don't need your street address...are you comfortable with giving the continent you live on?

9. Sucre

Sucre New Member

I live in the [] tri-state area, I'm giving that much.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  10. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Volpin's Guy Man helmet WAS chromed in gold, not silver. But most companies will lay down differing layers. So either you saw a shot from earlier on the process before the overcoat was applied, or the lighting made it look silver.

Alclad is about the only "home" solution in a can that will allow you to get anywhere near a chrome look...but it still won't give you a mirror shine. (And isn't "technically" cheap...it is relatively cheap though compared with other alternatives)

Off-the-shelf rattle cans are basically crap. You will get something that is silvery or goldish, but won't actually have any reflective index.

Most of the quality of the finish is down to your prep work. You will be a lot better off trying to smooth your surface out PERFECTLY, then applying a HIGH GLOSS black and finally doing a very light mist of your silver. That is the best solution you will get at home. But you will still need to spend money on your prep materials and take the time to do it right.

Finally, learn to chill. 1-5 hours is not a lot to wait for an answer. We're not here to answer your questions. We're fans and nerds like you. When someone can answer you, they will. Otherwise, just subscribe to the thread to be notified the moment someone replies.

Hell, I have threads from YEARS ago, I'm still waiting on answers for. haha

-Nick

11. Sucre

Sucre New Member

Hey, Nick, thank you so much for the answer, I bumped the threads because they die really easy if they don't get bumped or answered. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  12. zorg

13. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

14. Sucre

Sucre New Member

zorg , thanks for the links, but for the can comparison, can you give me a gold chrome comparison?
    Also, at CessnaDriver , how much did they charge you?

15. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm thinking of trying this stuff on my cylon bucket...

16. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As I said before, Sucre, we are not here just to answer questions for you. People here have given you a lot of help already. Do a little leg work yourself instead of treating us like Human Google. This website and the entire internet has PLENTY of information for you if you just look for it.

-Nick

Sean likes this.
  17. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well it was years ago for a Silver Surfer statue so can't remember.. Maybe $75.

18. zorg

google tells me that spaz stix do a chrome gold as well, but i have not seen it.

-z

19. Sucre

Sucre New Member

TheNickFox I've been searching for gold chrome comparison forever and can't find anything. I had to take a 6 month class specifically for searching things on google, it really payed off but I can't find gold chrome comparison.

20. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Six months to learn how to search on Google? If you paid money for it... demand it back! (If you took and passed a course in searching, using the RPF shouldn't be very confusing.)

Here you go. 2+ million hits in a couple seconds. There's the "similar threads" field at the bottom of the page as well.

Also... three bumps in as many hours? Not to seem unwelcoming, but you need to chill a bit and start learning how things are done around here or you will not last long. And really, I doubt anyone on the RPF is going to begin stalking you if they know where you live. If you act all secretive and whatnot, people are going to think YOU are up to shenanigans and not be very trusting with helping you. Just some friendly advice.

TheNickFox likes this.
  21. Sucre

Sucre New Member

Hi there, @joatrash_fx , I didn't pay for the class, haha, but the class did pay off very well. The reason "gold chrome paint" wasn't my first search was because it would show how they chrome in industries. I bumped that much because I feel threads die easy here, I saw a really cool thread where the guy didn't bump and after weeks no replies. Also, For the last thing about posting my area, if somebody searches my username on google and finds this account and sees where I live, a lot of things could happen.

22. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, the first few hits on the link I gave you are not exclusively industrial solutions. (I understand the desire to not have all your details out there, but the odds of someone grabbing your username and digging here and using your details for nefarious purposes are probably a lot less than getting hit by lightning! I'd be a lot more afraid of the information that companies get by tracking your phone or CC expenditures...)

23. Sucre

Sucre New Member

Huge thanks to everyone who answered!
    I found the spray I like, and if anyone stumbles across this thread, the spray which looks best (even looks good on non smooth surfaces) from rattle canning is Design Master Gold Medal. You can buy it at
    michaelsDOTcom/design-master-premium-metals-spray/M10205934.html .
    Source: chrislovesjuliaDOTcom/2013/02/answering-which-gold-spray-paint-is-best.html

24. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This! If you come to the RPF you must learn patience. Yes, threads move quickly here but other people have things to post and you are bumping everyone else thread down one every time you post. Please learn courtesy on an Internet forum. We are a community here and we have great respect for each other. When you learn this you will find how helpful members are with information.

25. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

81mZFJ53mjL._SY450_.jpg
    Just a metallic spray paint. Iv'e used this. there will be no chrome like finish.