Christopher Reeve Superman Costumes

supgreg

Hey all.

I'd like to see all the Chris Reeve Superman replica costumes out there! There has to be some cool displays from people on this forum! Post them up if you have one! SuperSebastian, your stuff is awesome!

I'll start. Updates to my costume lately: I got Super.Costumes to make me a new cape logo out of the same material as the tunic, in the shape of an \S/ that I designed myself. I also updated the inside of the neck of the cape with accurate nylon and snaps. Here are some shots and some side-by-side comparisons with the real thing!

Last edited:
Beautiful! I've always been a fan of the Reeves costume, but I'm debating whether to get one of those or wait for an MoS suit...

Sean

Gorgeous! That is positively inspiring. Action Costumes has two boots on eBay. One is $300 the other $600. Which are yours?

Does your mannequin stand well? The thought of drilling a hole into the sole of your $600 boots is not appealing.

Really well done, and I like your display with the crystal.

Gorgeous! That is positively inspiring. Action Costumes has two boots on eBay. One is $300 the other $600. Which are yours?

Does your mannequin stand well? The thought of drilling a hole into the sole of your $600 boots is not appealing.

Really well done, and I like your display with the crystal.

Those are the $600 ones. The $600 ones are made from a much nicer and more accurate leather than the cheaper ones and have the screen accurate stitching. And no, I didn't drill any holes in the boots. The mannequin wants to fall backwards, but it is scooted up against the wall and the rubber soles of the boots are enough to keep his feet from sliding out from under him.

That's a great looking suit, man! I checked out super.costumes and their stuff looks awesome! Which version of the suit is this and ow much did it cost you?

It's the Deluxe Limited Edition. I just bought the tunic and the leggings. I already had the boots, cape, and belt. I think they charged me $750.

This is the best and most accurante Suit Ever, made by Action costumes, colors and textures are ideantical to the real fabric. Action costumes is the only studio who get all the measures and pattern colos of 2 original suits.

jvqc.jpg

hlw1.jpg

I hate to say it Sebastian, but as good as that costume looks, the S doesn't look right. I think the S on Action Costumes older versions looked better. Also, you guys don't use the correct fabric for the cape. It should be wool, and Action Costumes uses a cheap gabardine. For $3000, it should be the exact fabric as the real cape and come with the boots. The costume looks great otherwise. Do you have any pictures of the inside of the cape?

Last edited:
I hate to say it Sebastian, but as good as that costume looks, the S doesn't look right. I think the S on Action Costumes older versions looked better. Also, you guys don't use the correct fabric for the cape. It should be wool, and Action Costumes uses a cheap gabardine. For $3000, it should be the exact fabric as the real cape and come with the boots. The costume looks great otherwise. Do you have any pictures of the inside of the cape?

Well Supergreg, if you think the S emblem doesn`t look rigth is up to you, becuause for me is the most accurante ever, believe me, I know lal about this costume and I see the original costume in person. Action Copstumes also use the best gabardine that we can find, I dont know why you say that is cheap, becuase nobody ever complain about the quality of our fabrics. And for your information, the real fabric of the cape is much more cheap look that our capes. The suit is what it is and is the best replica ever. Nobody did or can do this costume, the 2 owners of this suit can believe the quality of this costume and if we sale or not the costume with boots is our desition, is not nice from you to tell us what we should do.

Well I have to say Super Sebastian I think your Golden Edition costume looks fantastic!!! That's as close to the real thing as any one will get. I have one of you're older versions of the suit where the blue is a little darker. Might just have to make a purchase for this version sometime for my Chris Reeve Superman statue. Keep up the good work :)

Thats fantastic, i have been looking at getting this as well. Does anyone know which place is better to purchase from, action costumes or super costumes, which is more closest to replica?

The defining feature of an Action Costumes replica is that at least two genuine Reeve Superman costumes were used as direct reference (matching fabrics/colours/construction and even measurements) for its creation and I can verify that as I was there to oversee it. To my knowledge, SuperCostumes has never had access to a real one. Make of that what you will. Here's my 'Bronze Edition' costume on my custom mannequin and I couldn't be happier;

Just got home from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Saw a screen used Superman IV suit in person! First time I've seen one! I know the Superman IV costumes were slightly different as they were not carryovers from the Donner films.

Things I noted:
The belt is paper thin. And showed lots of signs of aging.

The tunic and S shield were smaller than I imagined. The mannequin it was on was rather small, and there didnt seem to be any excess material.

The metallic element of the suit was hard to describe. Not like any reproduction I've seen.

The description of the suit said that 20 suits were made in the same color, but in different weights. Materials used were "Nylon and PVC."

That description has to be wrong, because I've never heard of different weight suits. I could not make sense of the nylon and PVC either, unless they are talking about the belt alone.

I wish i would have been able to take some photos and also take some measurements. Unfortunalty, there was no photography allowed since it was an exhibition you had to pay to see.

Last edited:
Superman.png Here's my Superman suit, one of Action Costumes earlier versions (please excuse the slightly dull lighting and pic quality, was taken on my phone) Displayed on a custom Superman statue done by Bob Causey.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back