Christian Bale Calls it Quits After Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Jedifyfe, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Nolan said this was the end the second he signed on for the 3rd. I thought Bale did the same at that point too.

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Can't say I'll miss him. He doesn't have the charisma needed to pull off Bruce Wayne. I wonder who will take over next.

4. Hecubus114

Hecubus114 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bale said a long time ago he will only be Batman if Nolan is directing. And Nolan said a long time ago he'd only do 3 - so this is no surprise.

Larry Young likes this.
  5. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

The Batman franchise is beginning to parallel that of Bond.

Larry Young likes this.
  6. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The way he says it implies that the character survives this film.

7. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How is this news?

There were only going to be 3 Movies.

Larry Young likes this.
  8. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

Maybe Val Kilmer can take another stab at it...

Larry Young likes this.
  9. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

[​IMG]

:lol

Larry Young likes this.
  10. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Like Howard Stern said, they need to get Dexter.

11. hellz manik

hellz manik Active Member

bruce wayne yes/ batman no. I always felt that when he wore the batman costume, it felt like if he was paid to wear it. Unlike keaton, where you get that persona that he needs to be batman to feel complete

Larry Young likes this.
  12. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They should just REBOOT the franchise.....AGAIN....

13. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

Please know that I was joking..

14. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sure they will.

Wonder what they will do with it

15. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

When the reboot does come, I want a costume that looks closer to Arkham City than what we've seen in Nolan's trilogy

Larry Young likes this.
  16. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

There are so many versions of Batman extant that I sort of can't believe it's discussed as a reboot. Somebody draw a straight line through the Detective #27 Batman with a gun on his belt, the dopey Batman of the late Fifties, the Adam West pop art camp, the "relevant" Neal Adams stuff of the Seventies, The Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers excellence, Frank Miller's Reagan-era Clint Eastwood stuff, through Micheal Keaton and Clooney's nipples.

I have never once believed Bale as Bruce/Batman, but I also never had the urge to Occupy Gotham because this is just a phase that's not for me. Hopefully the next folks in charge of the cine-Bat smarten up and do a bad day in the life of a filthy dirty Jon Hamm. I want to see The World's Greatest Detective chip a well-manicured nail solving something BAD that no one else can.

Friggin Hollywood needs to start remembering what makes things awesome and what sells branded taco meals is a small overlap, and not the first job of story.

17. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Worst Batman ever. Gravelly stupid voice, terrible vehicles. Good riddance.

Bring back Adam West and a proper Batmobile.

Larry Young likes this.
  18. Frosteon

Frosteon Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of people who aren't fans of this garbage. Despite how "good" anyone says the third one will be, I refuse to pay any money to see it.

Larry Young likes this.
  19. cboath

cboath Master Member

I'd love something like that too. Also, set it in a comic book world, sort of like the keaton ones were (not the same world, but concept). I don't really care for it to be set in 'the real world'. For all the raves TDK got, everytime they showed chicago it pulled me right out of the movie. The only time i've seen downtown chicago is flying through to somewhere else.

Frankly, i'd love to see them make it a series. Longer, more drawn out storylines, etc.

Larry Young likes this.
  20. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

:thumbsup Preach it! I like Bale as an actor. I don't like Bale as Batman/Bruce.

Larry Young likes this.
  21. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, I liked him. :)

Larry Young likes this.
  22. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I loved Batman Begins. Seemed to be the first Batman movie actually about Batman instead of the villians.

Larry Young likes this.
  23. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Or the first one that was actually, you know, a great movie.

24. MrGzilla

MrGzilla Well-Known Member

I hate bale as batman, pretty much everything about him was off.. And the batmobile was a tank, which was pretty cool, but it was no batmobile. The suits aren that great in my opinion either, but I don't really like the fact of batman wearing rubber armor in any of the movies. I think if they were to do another reboot, that they should go with making some of the Allan Moore amd frank miller stories.. Year one, the killing joke, and the dark knight returnes would be amazing to see if they were done right.
    I'm glad Nolan won't be doing anymore bat films though, he truest to make it too realistic and it just doesn't feel like a batman movie.

Larry Young likes this.
  25. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Oh, I know. I just wanted others who may not have seen him in on it.

26. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

[​IMG]

I would not mind a reboot, in say ten years.

27. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

Besides his voice in the costume, I've like Bale in the series. I've liked the way he was basically played three different characters in the films. He's Batman, public Bruce Wayne, and private Bruce Wayne.

Still Jim Gordon has been my favorite part of the series.

Larry Young likes this.
  28. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member

Please, please, PLEASE keep Gary Oldman as Gordon!
    Every time Bale speaks as Batman, all I can hear is his attempt to disguise his lisp.
    Why, why, WHY did they kill off Two-face?!?

Larry Young likes this.
  29. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No more Bale/Nolan Batman films.............

BEST news I have ever heard.

The Most forgettable films in history.

Larry Young likes this.
  30. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I've enjoyed the last two flicks quite a bit, but I'm not really looking forward to this third one. I don't care for the design of Bane, or really any of the vehicles or costumes, or anything I've seen. Just not grabbing me.

I would guess 5 years before a reboot. Batman is a cash cow. I would go even darker in tone, and I would try and keep the production lean and small, almost like an indy film about a vigilante. Death Wish/Taxi Driver with Batman kind of thing.

31. nickytea

Tell us how you really feel. Yeesh. Talk about hyperbole.
    The fact that you remember them enough to know what this thread is referencing proves the contrary.

32. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Bring on Dead End!

33. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Nick,

You know I respect your film and television savvy.

But it has taken me years to warm up enough to the Nolan Batmans, that they are only now tolerable to watch.

Funny how some movie just don't click with some people.

34. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

I love what Nolan has done for the Batman movies. Do you all remember the the last Batman film before Batman Begins? Yeah... So for all of those who say that the Nolan films were the worst/Bale is the worst Batman, I would like to bring your attention towards a certain film with Clooney as Batman.:darnkids

35. Larry Young

Larry Young Master Member

Clint's too old, now, but I would love to see a straight-up DARK KNIGHT RETURNS with somebody like Tommy Lee Jones.

36. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Hey, maybe we can get ANOTHER reboot and ANOTHER origin story... again..... arrrrgh...

37. Sean Hebein

Sean Hebein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I watched Dark Knight last night and I enjoyed it. I guess I'm not a Bat superfan but I was at least entertained. The Bale BatVoice is terribly funny, especially in the Joker interrogation sequence. 3 Nolan Bat's is enough, I am looking forward to #3 though.

I agree with Shade88, compared to villains and Batmen from years past, Nolan Batman was refreshing.

38. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I agree Batman & Robin is one of the worst movies ever made, but I don't think it's fair to blame that on Clooney--he's barely in it. :rolleyes

As for the Nolan/Bale movies, I liked the first two well enough and I'll go to see the next one in the theater (cautiously optimistic that it won't suffer the "third movie curse"), but I think it's good they're stopping at a three-film story.

39. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I've enjoyed this iteration, and I expect I'll enjoy the third film, but I'm happy to have it "end" there.

I LOVED Batman Begins. I agree with Nicky that it's one of those "perfect" movies. It just had, for me, a fantastic balance of elements. A Bruce Wayne I cared about, a solid origin, an interesting, compelling badguy, solid action without the action feeling like it overwhelmed the film and was an excuse for set-piece battles. Only weak part was Katie Holmes.

I liked The Dark Knight. I was irritated at how little it seemed to focus on Bruce/Batman, though. To me, that's a big part of why our sense of Bale as Batman is "GROWLY VOICE!! GRRR!!" Without the more reflective elements on Bruce/Batman's part, it's easy to slip into the sense that all you're getting of Batman himself are action moments. Meanwhile, The Joker was great but got hammy after a while (appropriate, I suppose...), and I felt that Two-Face's gradual change was interesting as a sort of parallel Batman. But the film felt...rushed to me. Not focused enough, probably because it fell victim to the "sequelitis" curse where you add too much BIG and too many characters, and lose focus as a result. That was my sense of it anyway. I've only seen it once in the theater. It's still enjoyable, just a step down from the first one.

This third one, I'm interested in it, since I've enjoyed Nolan's take on the Batman thing, but I guess...I dunno. At this point I don't NEED it to continue. I'm kinda ready for a fresh take on it, or just let it sit for a while. These franchises can wind up being pushed way too far and end up becoming bloated, so I tend to be of the "Quit while you're ahead" school of thought.

40. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I wasn't crazy about the first one, and I am really not feeling much for this third one yet, but only time will tell on actually viewing it.

But if you can actually say that "The Dark Knight" was one of the most forgettable films in history, I question your taste in films.

41. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I like the new take on 'ol Bats,but if you want to do something nice...why not try to do like others have said and follow one of the comic series? please no more "Batman origin" we've done that to death.

Personally? I say give us the gray and black Batman and do Gothic~Batman Vs. an undead monk? a demon who comes back as a nun the monk killed to reclaim his soul? or yes! please!

From there....any of the really good Joker stories with a real twisted serial killer Joker? that'd be nice.

42. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ledgers performance and Two-Faces make up where the only bright
    spots in The Dark Knight that made it semi good. I'll give it that.

Begins was hard to sit through and even today, I have to change the
    channel when it's on.

From what I have seen on the third one, I'll be passing on it until it hits
    DVD.

The Tumbler, the Batpod and now the hovering Mosquito. Although cool
    designed vehicles in real life(except for the last one), NONE of them
    scream Batman at all. If they had shown up in any other film, I would have
    enjoyed them more.

43. nickytea

Different strokes, brother. :thumbsup
    If I was a huge fan of any previous iteration, I imagine I'd have a pretty hard time liking these, too.

44. tetsuyacasshern

tetsuyacasshern Well-Known Member

Bale/Nolan take on Batman and its universe is theatrically stunning, decent story, and captivating enough for the general audience. The problem is do we associate with the general audience? Myself i dont think i am the general audience, going forward nothing in this trilogy screams Batman. Generic armor suit, generic assault tank, and generic scenery. Thats why thru out the 3 movies the only thing that said batman is the villains and the name batman being used in the movie.

Tim Burtons batman on the other hand, is its own universe gotham city actually felt lik something out of a graphic novel, the b-mobile was actually a b-mobile, wayne manor felt like wayne manor, and the suit well very distinctive. Theatrically it was par, had some decent scenes, decent acting in the sense that they werent taking it too seriously. Was it a 4 star stunning masterpiece......No?

Joel schumakers Batman movies i feel is justified because the 90's was a weird era. Theatrically it gave the people what they want for that time big name actors, cheesy lines, some interesting action, comerical deals, and play sets. It had distinct universe not saying thats a good thing, it just didnt give off a genuine vibe.

Honestly the 2 batman movies i feel are best theatrically and universally known as batman movies are not live action. Mask of the phantasm, and Batman beyond: Return of the joker.

45. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

Someones forgetting Batman meets Scooby Doo!:lol (I love that cartoon!)

46. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

I didn't like any of the Nolan films, I thought Bale was terrible, the Batmobile.......thing.....was stupid and don't know what character Heath Ledger was playing because it wasn't the Joker.

Annnnd before you just call me a 'hater' I liked Gordon, Scarecrow and Two-Face.

47. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can I get a hellz yeah for anyone else who thinks it's about time for a live-action adaptation of "Worlds Finest"???

48. eclipse74569

eclipse74569 Active Member

Look it up...Tommy Lee Jones was actually IN a batman movie as two face....(Not the Nolan version BTW)

I'm probably the only person who hasn't seen The Dark Knight :( however I enjoyed Batman Begins.

49. BlooDSheD

BlooDSheD Active Member

I am fairly sure I read WB is going to continue nolans story with out him through a tv series. Can any one confirme?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

50. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

NO!!!! HOLLYWOOD WOULD SCREW IT UP!!!

And for what tetsuyacasshern said: I agree mainly with the last part, but I liked Batman: Forever, mainly because of Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones. :)

But I definitely agree with Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker being amazing. (World's finest, Mask of the Phantasm, and return of the Joker are the best Batman movies, ever!):love