Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

Thanks!

I think I'm going to go with 4 inches by 2.25 inches.

For sure the patches look a bit larger than one usually sees on uniform shirts. (And Hopper has big arms!)

100% embroidery with gold Merrow border.

We should be able to scale the patch based on the epaulets, pocket flaps, and button diameter.

I wonder how much the epaulets and pocket flaps vary by shirt size. Anyone care to post their measurements? I'll try to remember to measure my shirt when I get home.

The patch order is almost a done deal. I'll offer them first to you guys here, and put them up on Ebay and Etsy.

I don't envision making a profit. More or less breaking even will be fine with me. I'll have to read up on the RPF rules about sales. EDIT: I see that I must become a Premium Member, I will do that process when the time comes.

Last edited:
Alright, I'm slow... and forgetful. :lol:

Anyway, I keep coming up with flags at 3.75" x 2" scaling off my Flying Cross shirt. Particularly the 2". That dimension I am not questioning.

Dr Jones Sr , what do you think?

And a very quick and dirty image comparing the two sizes...
Flag Draft.JPG

Last edited:
I'm going to get out my shirt and test those sizes (paper mockups) and see.

I've paid for the patch run, but there's still the process of finalising the design, so I can still change the size.

My current patch is 4" and it feels right. There might be a scale issue for me, because I'm 6'4" and 17 stone, so what feels right for my costume might not be right for somebody 5'6" or what have you.

I'm 6'1", so not too far off from Harbour.

The whole "feel" for proportions is where my brain struggles. Comparing to known measurements is really the only way.

I used these two pics to get my dimensions. It was as simple as scaling this up to be the same measurements as my shirt pocket flap to give me the height of the flag.

50285af92a1a901bb3cb23652c570b01.jpg

Then I used this pic to get the width.

hopper-stranger-things-1509384618.png

Now, I'm assuming that the pocket flaps on Harbour's shirt are the same size as mine because they match when I scale off the pen in the first pic.

I think you're right.

Using your photos there and going by the height of the pocket flap (on my shirt just a hair under 2.25") the height of the flag is defo around 2".

So assuming that I can still adjust my order I will go with your suggestion.

EDIT: the size change has been sent to the maker.

Thanks for figuring that out!

Last edited:
I'd be in for a patch to upgrade my regular one. I've been a lurker here for a few weeks, using the great research to put together a Season One Hopper. I should have pics soon.

The patches have now been finalised at 3.75" x 2" and I'm waiting for confirmation.

I see that I will have to become a Premium Member here to advertise and sell them on this site, which I will do.

It's that final touch!

The flag issue has bothered me ever since I noticed the show patches weren't actual US flags.

We're all mad, you know.

BTW I've not come across anyone on the internet who has brought attention to the flag issue, except myself.

All the Hopper patch sets and costumes etc use ordinary US flag patches.

The Hopper action figure even has a normal US flag patch, not the show flag patch.

Last edited:
Awesome news! Thanks for getting this rolling.

The flag didn't bother me until you brought it up.. then I really started looking at it. :lol:

I say we try and tackle an accurate Hawkins patch if the flags turn out well. (y)

One question I just thought of on the patches, Dr Jones Sr , are these going to come with an iron-on backing? The reason I ask is that I would think Hopper's would not/should not have iron-on backing, especially considering the time period.

Not that it really would make much difference, but iron-on patches always feel too stiff to me, even after a few dozen washes.

You're right of course. As it happens I never considered iron-on backing, mainly because I've never liked iron-on patches. They're thick and stiff and don't look good on uniforms.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's one of those things, once I noticed the flag patch design I couldn't un-see it. It jumps out to my eye every time I see any Hawkins police uniform.

About the Hawkins Police blue triangular patch, there are so many out there and they vary so much! I looked at several different ones and bought the one I thought the closest. But I've never really examined and analysed the design. Perhaps I shouldn't! Because then it will start to bother me!

Are there any really good screen shots of the Hawkins Police blue triangular patch? (I'm guessing Pinder has one (y)

Last edited:
UPDATE:

There have been hitches in the flag patch process.

At one point they sent me a preview that changed the border to a lemon yellow. I had to specify a specific Pantone colour, it looks good now.

Then just a couple days ago they sent me an updated preview that changed the shape of the flag to a rounded rectangle! I had to send them a correction, and a photo of a rectangular flag patch!

Why on earth they keep changing things from the original design I submitted, I can't imagine.

Your Hopper looks great!

You even got the right pants! For me that was the hardest thing to find.

Well that and the f#@%ng flag patch, but that's another story!!

Thanks Dr. Jones Sr. The pants are the Command pants suggested on here. I had them taken in, but I feel they need to be altered more. Hopper's pants are quite fitted and these pants fit very loose.

BTW if anyone has found an extra hair tie, PM me. I have a similar one but not "the" one. I have an extra yellow pen if anyone is interested.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back