Chief Brody costume from Jaws

Discussed before...the gun/ gun;) holster in particular if my memory serves me well. Maybe a search about that topic could lead you to the costume

Lead the way man;) Kidding of course...I'm sure you've seen pics of his costume; is there one piece of clothing in particular that's giving you some difficulty?

Lead the way man;) Kidding of course...I'm sure you've seen pics of his costume; is there one piece of clothing in particular that's giving you some difficulty?
Haha, Really the only thing I think that's specific would be the shirt. The front pockets are different than most uniform shirts today from what I can find...

I took these at Universal Hollywood a few years ago, purported to be the actual costume:

47091043762_efd18410e8_b.jpg

47143346641_25739d5fc0_b.jpg

Hope they help!

In those photos above the shirt looks like an ordinary work shirt: no epaulettes, and the pockets and pocket flaps with clipped corners, etc.

It's very similar to the Dickies 574

Long Sleeve Work Shirt | Mens Shirts | Dickies

(You would have to sewn on a badge tab yourself- I don't think you'll find actual police shirts like that.)

The shirt in this photo has completely different pockets

https://reelclub.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/jaws8.jpg

Odd that in the film the badge is on the wrong side- are there any actual police departments like that?

The pants might end up being like the Chief Hopper pants: still in production but difficult to find. The Brody pants have the wide belt loops like the Hopper pants but different pockets. Try hunting through the Galls site.

I found this... personally I'm always skeptical about "screen worn" costumes on display and sold at auction, because they often look quite different from the things seen in the film. Look how light the blue is on the patches.

JAWS 2 SCREEN WORN CHIEF BRODY AMITY POLICE SHIRT AND PANTS

Last edited:
Attached a few useful screencaps, I hope. The one you have photos of (above) may be from Jaws 2, I'm guessing, due to the subtle differences in pockets & patch.

The pointed pocket bottoms and flaps are distinctive and uncommon, but I see a few vintage work shirts on eBay with those features. Brody also wears a heather gray undershirt or T-shirt, a wide belt with gold buckle, and rather plain looking brown shoes.

I wish you lots of luck – Jaws is one of my favorite movies, and Scheider a favorite actor.

Attachments

• Badge 2.jpg
    Badge 2.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 1,335
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 1,677
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 4,563
Last edited:
Last year, I scored a near-perfect Quint jacket:

Quint's Jacket From Jaws

It was going to be last year's Halloween costume, but I had shoulder surgery about a month before so was put out of commission. However, I'll try again THIS year!

So the clipped pockets are from Jaws 2 and the pointed pockets are from the original Jaws?

Looking over police uniform sites, you're not going to find that shirt I don't think, because the pocket flaps are nearly always scalloped, the shirts have the sewn beading down the front on each side, and the badge tab is on the other side.

Likewise with work shirts the pockets have the clipped corners. The only pointed one I've seen in current production are Western work shirts with snaps.

I found this old shirt on Etsy- it's going to be a matter of looking at vintage clothing, I think, to find the right shirt

Vintage 50s Khaki Work Shirt, Twill Work Shirt, Flap Pockets, Pencil Pocket, Long Sleeves, Size Small, Rockabilly, Unisex for Men or women

Thanks!

I did a little (very little) research and it seems that the style of pockets on the pants at top are called "slant pockets" or "continental pockets".

Because I figured that knowing the name would aid in finding Police trousers like that.

It really didn't. I went through Galls and other Police uniform sites and I couldn't find pants with that combination of slant pockets and the wide belt loops.

I'm sure they exist- there's got to be some Police/Sheriff department somewhere that uses pants like that! Just a matter of finding it.

It seems that that type of pants are actually vintage...in effect, it's an old cavalry design (don't want to loose anything while riding). It's funny that they used that type, specially with the wide loop adding to the "old" look. Maybe the costume designer thought: it's an island, and the uniform hasn't changed since the inception of the police dept...long time ago.;)
As a matter of fact, the sheriff character in "Kill Bill" has the slanted pocket pants and the pointy pockets (prob. cowboy shirt) in the film.

Has anyone tried making the jacket? I've already looked around and didn't have any luck finding an original. It looks a lot like an early Members Only jacket.

This has been slightly helpful but also a continuation of the slightly maddeningly frustratingly fruitless search for the origin of Brody's jacket from JAWS. I've got the patches and all I wanna do is ROCK that Amity Police windbreaker. Let's double down. What's the name of the costume designer from the film...? Or maybe that wouldn't turn anything up because they'd just say "Oh, boy... I just grabbed whatever I could find at a local men's clothing store and threw it on Roy - we were running way behind. I've got no IDEA of the make of that jacket..." lol

What about his other costume, in his famous "bigger boat" scene? Has anyone ever tried that? I'm looking specifically at the shirt and shoes. Have any ideas? Thanks!
Screenshot_20190705-105351.png
Screenshot_20190705-105114.png
Screenshot_20190705-110232.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back