ChickenHaunt's 2015 Aug-Sep Sculpture Contest Entry

ChickenHaunt

Sr Member
I'm sculpting a zombie! He's a little kooky.
I've been playing with clay for a long time, but only with any seriousness about four years ago. This piece will have no seriousness.

I had the idea pop into my head a few nights ago and doodled it out (I can't draw, but I can doodle!). Didn't think much of it, until the next day, when I thought it would make a fun little sculpture.
IMG_4610_zpsd0mjbuwe.jpg

I decided to use Super Sculpey because I had some, and most of my oil clay is tied up in my Vincent Price project. Plus, this way I'll get to have a hard copy to keep without molding it. Also, it's a medium I'm not used to, so I'll get a little extra education out of this.

20930452998_cb476e5e6b.jpg

This is about two hours in. Didn't think to take a picture earlier because I didn't know if I was going to want to continue with the idea. I started with just the head and neck, propped it up on the block of wood to get a better look at it, squished a bit of clay on either side to help support it, and realized I could add some more interest by adding a bit of chest.

Proof shot:
21126066631_9a8cea01c1_b.jpg

to be continued...

Looking good! Love the expression... Sucks when your "clay is tied up" huh? A couple of months back, I had to steal 2 lbs of oil clay off the head of a Karloff Frankenstein I've been working on for a quite a while. I did it because Batman's neck was too skinny. Go figure.

Thanks Cadeus. :)

Next I put a little more detail work into the face
21108222322_d87ca33bbf.jpg

I realized I'd really need to rethink how it's on the base. So I built it up a little bit

20931554269_d57f2ecfd1_b.jpg

Oops! More than I meant to, though. Guess I've got more sculptural ground to cover than intended.
I thought about giving him arms at this point, but decided that opened the flood gates a little too much. Trying to keep this quick and fun.

Looking great!

I think it'd look better without arms anyway. Just my personal preference. :)

It really looks like that vampire zombie from Lifeforce. Looking good.
img_0020150713150504-6808.jpg
I am gonna have to step up my game, I think. :)

Thanks Sinned, Cadeus, and Michael!

A couple of assorted thoughts: The inspiration for the ears are dried apricots. I really ended up favoring character over polish on this. I guess I was sort of testing the limits of how far I can push it into cartoon land. It's definitely not perfect, but it was satisfying to turn it around in a few evenings and call it done.

And I think that's going to do it for me. Here's the final submission shots before baking.
20931811378_6527b7171f_z.jpg

20498619513_5171153386_z.jpg

20932913239_fb29db7b81_z.jpg

This is of course beyond the contest (so judges, turn around and go back!), but I got excited and had to paint him. I went with all cheapie acrylics and 5 min epoxy on the eyes.

20931494980_7bd2986b30.jpg

21093411446_97182472d6.jpg

20931494830_accf1568b3.jpg

This is of course beyond the contest (so judges, turn around and go back!), but I got excited and had to paint him. I went with all cheapie acrylics and 5 min epoxy on the eyes.

Oh damn! Missed the final update somehow, that turned out so cool! Love the paint job!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back