Chestburster Belt Buckle/ornament-Resin Pull Done Post 21

troggs

I thought I would have a go at sculpting a belt buckle/ornament, based on the queen chestburster.
Here's the starting point a couple of days ago,

ch1.jpg

After a few more hours work:
ch2.jpg

It should measure about 5 inches across when it's finished, I've had to alter the proportions of the chestburster a fair bit to get it to fit into a tight circle, I'm hoping to get it just about finished over the next few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll be making the mould out of silicone, then casting the piece in resin

Okay. Buy if the last picture you posted is your final product I do not see any under cuts so you may be able to do a box mold with plaster. However it is your decision and plaster can crack and be very hard to works with

As my final piece will be in resin, then I believe the mould will have to be flexible, my understanding is: soft mould(silicone) = hard cast (resin); Hard mould (plaster)=soft cast (latex)
Even without undercuts I don't think I would get a resin cast out of plaster.

As my final piece will be in resin, then I believe the mould will have to be flexible, my understanding is: soft mould(silicone) = hard cast (resin); Hard mould (plaster)=soft cast (latex)
Even without undercuts I don't think I would get a resin cast out of plaster.

Are you doing solid cast or hollow cast. If solid you void just puts a pin in the resin be for it cures so could pulpit out the pulpy the pin out. If you are doing hollow cast then use the silicon.

Thanks for the interest, I really haven't given it a thought yet, this was just a personal project, but if people like it I will probably sell them, I'll let you know about the cost when I'm happy that I'm casting them well enough to sell. :)

Trying to pull resin out of plaster is plain stupid.

You are perfectly correct with the silicone for mould material for a resin peice.

Resin will destroy the detail on a stone mould extremely quick compared to silicone, and if he wants to make a few pulls, then silicone is THE way to go.

I think I've finished most of the detailing now, just unsure about whether the background should be left smooth or a hammered metal effect any thoughts/suggestions guys?

ch3.jpg

Yes, Klean Klay is not be made anymore, you still can find it it you could before. They're running out of the stocks that they have.

When I read chestburster belt buckle... I envisions a chestburster poking out of the buckle. I thought "Ya, that's exactly were that needs to poke out".

Great job! That is one nice piece. :D

Yes, Klean Klay is not be made anymore, you still can find it it you could before. They're running out of the stocks that they have.

When I read chestburster belt buckle... I envisions a chestburster poking out of the buckle. I thought "Ya, that's exactly were that needs to poke out".

Great job! That is one nice piece. :D

I never thought about what the title could mean when I put it up o_O

Thanks for the compliment, it's just about finished now, if I've got enough silicone left I can get on with the moulding

ch4.jpg

Holly cow, I can't believe I wrote that... This is why people shouldn't rush when posting...
I mean't...
Yes, Klean Klay is not being made anymore, but you still can find it if you could before. They're running out of the stock that they have though.
When I read chestburster belt buckle... I envisioned a chestburster poking out of the buckle. I thought "Ya, that's exactly were that needs to poke out".

That last bit of texture makes it pop.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back