Chernobyl series on HBO

Yes I’m watching it....very uncomfortable to watch & unbelievable that we as a species were very nearly exterminated of it wasn’t for a few brave folks who gave their lives for us

J

Cannot wait for episode 3. My country is not that far from "Cernobîl", as a kid I remember Ceausescu hiding the truth for a few days...

The previews left me uniformly horrified and a bit sickened. I will probably watch it eventually, but it's a bit too real for me right now.

I will end up binge watching it after it is done

After I saw this thread I headed over to you tube and watched a few things, check out the mutated animals thing over there

It’s a page out of the X-files

Definitely worth watching, I love how it achieves that feeling of dread without you even noticing, it's like everything crumbles but you don't even see it until you're faced with the horrific consequences, just like radiation poisoning... very well done. At some points I was doubtfull about the deviation of the series from what actually happened, but it turns out, although it's dramatized, it's pretty faithfull.
Like the suicide squadron that opened the valves in scuba gear: it was actually their shift, their workplace and their area of expertise so they pretty much had to do the job which is not really emphasized, but they did volunteer which is faithfully shown: so a bit dramatized but still totally accurate. Or the physicist from Minsk, she is an amalgamation of various scientist, but everything, down to some dialogs, is exactly what happened, which is crazy!!!
I like how the acting, although them speaking english, seems to translate the eastern block culture and temperament, not that I know so much about it, but I anticipated it putting me off and actually they do a great job. The setting and props seem very well done too, I guess there's a heavy work of research on that. Some settings seem a bit too old, as if they filmed on location now but the equipment and buildings would have looked a bit newer at the time maybe? But it's very tactfully done, some other soviet era films seem a little over the top on that.
I can't wait for the 2 final chapters!

Watched the first two - wonderful TV. I remember Chernobyl happening when I was younger, this is a perfect example of true life being better than fiction.

Horrific story. Anyone with feelings of discomfort watching this series is good, because we're human.
A nuclear power plant is 20 minutes from me and i have my supply of Iodine pills.

Had the opportunity to visit Chernobyl and Pripyat. Very faithful reproductions of the town and reactor. A rather chilling place and in Pripyat even now, the town is deathly silent, not even birds in the sky.

May have to give this a watch. I hope Dr. Robert Gale is in it - he's an American who voluntarily went to Russia to help.
Most of what little I know about Chernobyl I learned reading his first-hand accounts. Brave man, and an amazing human being.

This was...stellar...television.

Well acted, well produced, and one of the most chilling things I’ve ever watched.

Horror films don’t scare me. Haunted houses don’t scare me. Not really much truly scares me. But this? This was terrifying.

One of the best TV series I've seen in years. I don't intend to get GoT on DVD, but Chernobyl I do. My dad loved Chernobyl series as well.
What a dark, but also great trip into history! And being born and living in Eastern Europe I feel the atmosphere of those times being so well presented.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back