Chemical Plastic treatments

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Orleavau, May 21, 2012.

1. Orleavau

Orleavau New Member

I once overheard a man say that he used a chemical, possibly acetone, to "open the pores" of a plastic model before painting in order to create a finished surface with a high scratch resistance. Has anyone heard of this technique and could correct my ignorance?

2. coreymd

coreymd New Member

I know that acetone will turn plastic to mush if you expose it long enough. And just a bit of acetone coupled with some rubbing action will scratch a plastic surface pretty deeply with very little effort. Practice with something small and useless if you want to experiment with it.

3. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There is a type of "Plastic Primer" that comes in a spray can and is clear and looks like it evaporates over time. I have tried it on ABS and styrene, but not experienced that it would improve adhesion when used together with ordinary hobby paint primer -- I think that it actually does the opposite.
    I suspect that it is actually intended for PVC, Polypropylene and other plastics that are more difficult to paint.

4. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You may be thinking of adhesion promoter, like bulldog. This would be sprayed
    Over bare plastic, ( after cleaning with a non solvent based product ) before applying
    Primer.

Solvent based products ( like, acetone, turpentine, laquer thinner, mineral spirits, xylene, etc...) can cause more harm than good. I cannnot guarantee you will, or
    will not have problems. But solvents can absorb into the plastic, and cause problems when trying to apply paint over the plastic.

Think of what would happen if you put a plastic model piece in thinner ...it will melt!
    Same principal, slower, smaller process

5. Orleavau

Orleavau New Member

Thanks for the replies! I primarily work with Nerf guns, so your warnings about solvents are pertinent. Ill experiment carefully and report back.

6. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Good old sandpaper is best.