Cheap way to get decent dreads.

Preds

Hey, this is my first Huntorial.

I came up with this by viewing what others have said and put some things together that i dont know if anyone has ever done before.. if they have sorry for the copywrite but i didnt know =/ lol... Anyways. Heres some pictures and steps on how i made decent dreads with minimal bucks.

1. First off. i know everyone is goin to say i didnt make anything, which i assume your technically correct, seemingly to say i used Backer Rods. However i used other techniques in order to produce quality dreads through low quality foam

2. Cut the Rods according to your desired length. Mine were. 29" x10 27" x 10 26" x 10 and 18" x 10 = 40 dreads total. they wil naturally be curled due to the packaging, but they are easily straighten out with minimal force of pulling.. I say minimal not super human. dont snap them by pulling too hard.

3. Once you have all your lengths, then you can go to a Latex based substance to make it more stable and have a better look. You cna use alot of different types of Latex, I used Interrior Primer Latex (White). Since it is foam it shouldnt take more than 2 hours to dry. You want to coat it rather thick, so it doesnt sink into the holes and just look like you colored it white. To dry them, always have them hanging by something so it does not lay on one side and come up bi-colored. I nialed mine to the side of my work table.. Worked quite well.
DSCN5022.jpg.gif

DSCN5009.jpg.gif

DSCN5024.jpg.gif

4. Once you have your Dreads Primed and they are dry, you can move onto the black layer of latex or other kind of paint. I used. CAT Medium Gloss Aerosol. Medium cause high is too much. Just 2 to 3 coats of medium and it covers up the faom texture pretty good.
DSCN5011.jpg.gif

DSCN5013.jpg.gif

DSCN5018.jpg.gif

5. Once the paint drys, you come out with a fairly decept Dread. But.. it is still light.. Lightness makes it ridgid and not wana swing like the other dreads. I thought of a few ways to counter this and came up with a good one that makes them very close to the springy moving like dreads. What i did was go to lowes and bought alot of 1/2" copper piping. cut them to specified length and they fit on just right. the weight form the copper pipes make them swing very well and have good weight to them so they dangle and not stand out too bad. I spray painted Silver onto a few of them to make the silver and copper contrast with the dreads B)
ATT00004-1.jpg.gif

DSCN5016.jpg.gif

6. Once you have the Copper piping on the dreads, it should look somewhere close to or like this.
DSCN5031.jpg.gif

7. Once finished, a bundle of them should look close to this.
DSCN5030.jpg.gif

8. Well #8 is the end.. i dont have a current video of them being all swingy like. but i plan on making one soon. if you have any questions let me know.. Hope yall enjoyed this and it helps some of you with your costumes.

DSCN5022.jpg.gif

DSCN5009.jpg.gif

DSCN5024.jpg.gif

DSCN5011.jpg.gif

DSCN5013.jpg.gif

DSCN5018.jpg.gif

ATT00004-1.jpg.gif

DSCN5016.jpg.gif

DSCN5031.jpg.gif

DSCN5030.jpg.gif

You don't really have to make them, I really just want to know price for the materials as I'm gonna try to make them for the mask.

Sorry if I didn't clarify my question :)

Wow. That's a wicked idea. I just got my first mask and will be needing dreads for it once I paint it. I'm glad to see there is a simple way to make dreads. One quick question though. Did you apply the latex by painting it on or dipping the dreads into latex?

Degore here and I just want to say thanks for the huntorial. Because I just found a whole spool of that same form and I was wondering how to paint and straighten it. I will do what you did and let you know.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back