Cheap quick Cowboys & Aliens build

whoami11

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_2711.jpg
So I've been working on a Rocketeer helmet, but it was destroyed by a terrorist named cat (belongs to the wife). So I'm starting from scratch and ordered new materials to try a better method. While I'm waiting, I figured I'd keep my idle hands busy with a cheap and simple, 0 build with the Cowboys and Aliens prop. I started with 2 7-11 C&A cups. I removed the plastic cup inside. Doing this, cause a gap in the prop which is not a snug fit at all. I went to the local hardware store and bought some pipe insulation ($2). I measured the insulation to fit perfectly. It's a great build for anyone with time to spare and not much money. Pics below:

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg
IMG_2704.jpg

Any ?'s feel free to reply on here or PM me!

-Ryan

Cool build. Why do you need two cups?

You aren't going to 7-11 and buying just one of these babies!:lol Actually, I had one as a spare in cased I screwed the first one up. Once the first one was done, I built the second one for a friend.

FYI if you find it difficult to put your hand/wrist in after you completed this project, just run a razor down the middle of the pipe insulation; should solve the problem.

Oh, and thank to everyone for the compliments. This was my first RPF build (complete anyway) and was a very poor one at that. But, like I said, this is a project ANYONE can do and for under $10.

I have a question or two. I've not seen the movie, but I'm guessing this prop is some kind of wrist wear device. My question therefore is, what exactly is this C&A cup?

I'm just finding it difficult to get my head around it all so that I can visualise precisely what is going on here. Is the cup an off the shelf item that just happens to look somewhat sci-fi-esque and this was subsequently used by the prop makers, with a bit of dressing, to create the prop?

Do you have any pictures of the cup prior to you modifying it?

Colour me confused.

Cheers,

Holluba

Holluba, people have ben talking about the cup for quite ome time here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/cowboys-aliens-jake-lonergan-gauntlet-weapon-100903/

In a nutshell, 7-11 has a promotional Cowboys Vs Aliens collector cup for $7 that have a lightup Gauntlet around the outside of the cup. People are removing the cup, and then modding whats left to get a reasonably close replica of the movie prop.

Some people are repainting it more acurately, other are putting two of the light up halfs together, to give them something closer to the 4 light fireing version seen in the trailers.

Gareee, thanks for the link. Up until now, this prop had been totally off my radar, so much of what I'd read in this thread had gone completely over my head, however, seeing the other thread, everything makes complete sense.

Once again, thanks for the link.

Holluba

Yer welcome! I also miss 7-11.. the nearest one to us is 174 miles away! A good old freind in Florida snagged them for me when she heard we were lookin for them, and surprised me with them, when someone here was also obtaining them for us as well.

I hate when kindness clashes like that, but its good to see so much good will going around!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back