Cheap Paint fix

Blade of Woe

Ok I spent a lot of time looking throw the threads and I have found tons of information on painting your suits. Now here is my issue.
1 I live in Kodiak, AK so getting supplies is a pain in the butt. I bought a GAL of liquid latex from Monster makers for 32 bucks but shipping was 56 bucks LOL.

So I am looking for information on other types of paint that can be used that I might be able to find on this rock like acrylic craft paint not mixed with latex since it cost so much for the latex. Next is there anything that can be used other than perma-wet since it would cost 49.95 for 32oz and 40 bucks for shipping. So any help would be great thanks guys/ gals :lol:

Yes on both accounts... You can make a base pint by thinning rubber cement ( the sell rubber cement thinner) and mixing acrylics... Get to an almost water consistancy..

An home solution for permawet is hardware store bought polyacrylic. We use it as a sealer on most of our foam latex pieces in our display room.

You can also check out Nigels Beauty Emporium in North Hollywood CA. They sell something called V-gloss. It is a sealer... They ship world wide

if u have a airbrush mixing your latex with your acrylic would b the best idea.it covers alot more than u think.easyly paint a body suit with 1 and a half or 2 ounces of paint.plus u have as many colors as u have paints.latex paints are very expensive once u start getting a bunch of colors!i used "golden" acrylic paints.works very well.tha pic i added required roughly 3 ounces of various tones and colors.adhered very well and if very flexible.i mixed 50% latex with 50% water for my base then add around 30%acrylic paint.i put the water/latex in my airbrush then added the paint in there,put the lid on and spray!dries fairly fast.

IMG_3720.JPG

Thanks guy this information is great.

BIOFREAK Your suit is great how long did it take?

Still looking for more ideas just in case I cant get any of the stuff named above. Trust me this place is small and most of the supply stores carry boat supplys not art LOL.

sorry ..quick amendment to my original reply ...thin rubber cement with naptha ...it is a paint stripper found in almost any hardware store .....mix that with rubber cement and acrylics to a water like consistancy and you can run it through an airbrush as well ..this will save you the latex you bought for other projects

I did this whole suit for a movie using this method

75b9af3d.jpg

PTgreek thanks I am going to the store.
That thing is amazing I would crap if I saw it coming at me in the dark

Thanks to everyone that answered up you guys are great

Thanks guy this information is great.

BIOFREAK Your suit is great how long did it take?

Still looking for more ideas just in case I cant get any of the stuff named above. Trust me this place is small and most of the supply stores carry boat supplys not art LOL.

**** man i started back in april or may!by far the longest project ive taken on!very rewarding tho.persistance pays off man!ive made a total of 4 pred masks,the 1 u saw bein the forth.i will post pix of the other three abomanations soon!haha

Ptgeek what acrylics did you used? because I've tried that before and does not mix with rubber cement and naptha, And I had to use oil based paints.

Also to add more for you (blade of woe) if you decide on this route, because I have started my wolf with the rubber cement way.

1) get a good airbrush, DON'T get a internal mix airbrush! because it will get blocked and will take agggggesss to clean out. Suggest that you get an Paasche H airbrush - with 3 heads.
2) get a good compresseor! because the small ones don't hack it with rubber cement, trust me I had to change to an tank compressor with PSI up to 60 or 80 to get a good flow.
3) Safty get a good respirator mask, because of the rubber cement and naptha are nasty stuff to breath in. (brain stem rot)

if u have a airbrush mixing your latex with your acrylic would b the best idea.it covers alot more than u think.easyly paint a body suit with 1 and a half or 2 ounces of paint.plus u have as many colors as u have paints.latex paints are very expensive once u start getting a bunch of colors!i used "golden" acrylic paints.works very well.tha pic i added required roughly 3 ounces of various tones and colors.adhered very well and if very flexible.i mixed 50% latex with 50% water for my base then add around 30%acrylic paint.i put the water/latex in my airbrush then added the paint in there,put the lid on and spray!dries fairly fast.

Was wondering does this mix get darker when it dries as tinted latex tends to do ? and how badly did it clog the airbrush ?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back