Cheap gauntlets

BigEvil

After a lengthy break I've restarted my cheap suit build. The cheap plasma cannon huntorial I did was pretty well received so here's my cheap gauntlet build. First, using a template provided by VinMan, I cut the basic shape out of a homer bucket with a rotozip. Then, I use my heatgun to shape it into the correct size/diameter. I use some of the thin license plate plastic I have to make a top and glue it into place. Again with a VinMan template I trace the blades out on to a piece of 2mm thick sign plastic and cut them out. Using craft foam sheets I continue following the patterns to dress up the featureless plastic parts I had and give them some depth. I locate the slots for the blades and cut them out with an xacto knife. The spacers I used for the blades are actually spent .44 mag cartridges. The tops of the Gauntlets consist of some layered foam pieces, some split in half split loom, half of a deck gun from a gi joe vehicle and a couple of 1 gallon water bottle lids. The outer surface of the foam is coated in regular white glue to seal and protect it and everything is painted in primer black. I still need to do some clean up and detail work but you can see pretty clearly how they will eventually end up. I intentionally stayed away from lights and animatronics to keep the cost to a minimum. The cavities inside my gauntlets will be filled with upholstery foam and will attach to the skin suit via velcro. Hopefully this helps someone else out.

Gaunt1sm.jpg

Gaunt2sm.jpg

Gaunt4sm.jpg

Gaunt7sm.jpg

Gaunt8sm.jpg

Gaunt9sm.jpg

Gaunt10sm.jpg

Gauntsm.jpg

that bucket just shape with a heat gun ???

Sure is. I find the homer buckets very easy to work with as opposed to the stuff from like Lowes. They cut very easily with a Roto-Zip, then just a heat gun to warm them up (use something to hold the gun stationary and move the piece around in front of it) bend/form it to your desired shape then dunk it in or hold it under some cold water to "freeze" the shape and you're off.

I've decided to step these up a bit to give the suit a bit more pop in photographs and visibility at night. I went to a local discount store (Big Lots as you can see from the price tag) and got some battery powered micro LED lights. I went with multi color for the gauntlets, I have blue only for the shoulders and chest/back plate. I used a small drill and made holes, then glued the lights in. For the small side alcoves I drilled straight in, then rotated the drill sideways. The micro LED's I used were a bit long, so the alcoves allowed for the lights to be glued in length-wise to keep them from intruding into the space where your arm goes. What I particularly like about this solution is the independent power supply to each (and installed on) piece eliminating the need to run wires all around the skin.
lights.jpg

gaunt insides.jpg

lit gaunt pair.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude thats sweet, nice idea. I never thought about using 'christmas' lights to light it up. Awesome idea, thanks for sharing

Looking good!

With the other picture, I envisioned them flashing and looking too festive... I had to look close at the package... these don't flash right?

They don't flash, I thinking of dropping in a bit here and there to make one or two of the leds flash. I was a bit worried that the multi color would be too colorful, but with the fairly monotone armor it actually works out pretty well. The shoulders and chest bits will have just blue.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back