cheap dreds?????

thebeastwithin

hey all,

need some dreds but don't have the money to buy a 200 dollar pair

so i was wondering if anyone could give tipes to a noob on how to make cheap dreads

thanx
-zach

Use armaflex my man, I am making some for my brother's suit. I have one that I will post a pic of here in a little while.

ok, im not going to be a jerk and say search because this has been answered so many times. any ways, there are multiple ways or doing this. you can buy backer rod, like say you want 40 dreds that are 3 ft long get 80 feet. it will cost ya 13 bucks. they are not flowy though. but look good and cheap, and there is a tutorial in the huntorial section.
here is my way: buy a stake or something dread shaped. wrap cheap black fabric(you can pick it up and jo annes) and wrap it around the stake. find where the ends meet and cut there. now sew the ends together. stuff it with some kind of flexible light weight foam type material. close up the top with another peice or fabric, sewing or hot glue since you wont really see the glue there. buy some returned black latex house paint(lowes or home depot(since buying a fresh gallon costs like 60 bucks)) and dip it in there. let it dry, it will add some wight but should make it more flowy. if it is not flowy enough you can put a fishing weight in the dreads, whatever size make you happy.
i hope this helps

Use armaflex my man, I am making some for my brother's suit. I have one that I will post a pic of here in a little while.

sorry a little bad at knowing what hardware stuff is (i'm only 14), so whats armaflex :)

and thanks death, i was thinking of doing something like but wanted to see if any body thought that to, and i don't like the backer rod look

yeah armaflex is great stuff but it cant really be brought to a point very easily? you dont want a flat bottom dread! any ideas on this?

i don't know about armaflex, but i used backer rod or foam pipe insulation you can look for it under my topics i did..i show my dreads. basically i cut the ends to a point and then i heat it up and mold it to be a little bit more circular. then spray it with a coat of plasti-dip(black) then let it dry and make your dread rings out of PVC piping or cpvc, dremel it and make indentations of thing, paint the rings slide em on and comprendo!! now you got some fine looking dreads for a total of about 20 bucks or less(depends on the deal you get for the stuff)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back