CHEAP Chrome Effect tutorial for Props and Costumes

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just finished this TJack Thor's Helmet and decided to film parts of the process as I think this is one of the best (read cheapest) methods for achieving this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBRTuhgXxas

QDRYBpR.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

P.S. (for the Mods) I'm posting this in the props section since I think this tutorial has more applications here than in the costume section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice... I bet if you had access to a Circut or a Silhouette that you could do this in a number of metallic finishes for various items...

What material is the tape made of? I do work with vinyls that are pvc and the metallics are a polyester. Might try a hair dryer as it is a lower heat. I have not had problems with the adhesive drying out, but it may be the material I am using has a different adhesive

What material is the tape made of? I do work with vinyls that are pvc and the metallics are a polyester. Might try a hair dryer as it is a lower heat. I have not had problems with the adhesive drying out, but it may be the material I am using has a different adhesive

Not really sure, to be honest... sorry!

If it is the same as the roll I have that is used for sealing duct work it is an aluminum, heat wouldn't work on that. The stuff I get from the sign supply place is polyester, but I have not tried to heat and stretch it around curved parts. Gonna have to try both and see what works best. Interesting tip chroming with tape.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back