Charter Arms AR7 Explorer rifle

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by adamata, Apr 21, 2006.

1. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Its used for the ponda blaster and also the Hoth rebel trooper pistol.

I was going to get one from

www.movieguns.com

but they way *way* too much for one. I can buy a real one for that much.

-Tony

2. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Someone over at Blaster Builders Club did a run of these in resin months ago. You might try posting over there and see if there are any left.

The kit included the AR-7 "body", a one-piece barrel with mortar fin, and a lot of the greeblies.

3. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Holy cow.. I have one of these AR-7s in my gun safe. Got it many years ago when I was back in college.

What parts of it were used in the rebel pistol?? I never use the thing anymore, maybe its time to dust it off...

4. Wakal

Wakal Well-Known Member

I picked up a vintage AR7 (with the correct barrel nut ;) ) just before I fled the States. I'll see if I can get my friend Bill to throw RTV on it. He has the right mortar on hand, too (just one of the many projects I never got around to finishing, sigh).

Alex

5. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyperdyne @ Apr 21 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]1230630[/snapback]</div>
    The entire receiver group of the AR-7 is used as the basis for the Rebel Hoth pistol. Along with a "shortened" barrel, with the knurled nut. The muzzle is a fin from a British mortar round.

The grip is from a Sterling. Add some greeblies and a Singlepoint scope, and voila.. . . Rebel pistol. :thumbsup

6. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wakal @ Apr 21 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1230649[/snapback]</div>

Say I's probably be interested in a copy too.

I've done a bit of searching, but haven't had any luck finding a replica of this gun yet.

7. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

8. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

The run at the BBC is done, the molds have officially died. There was recently a second run and the results were less then ideal, but still workible.

Unfortunately, all the casts were sold.

Sorry man.

9. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamata @ Apr 21 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1230582[/snapback]</div>
    Tony,

i have a friend that had a real one, i could check.

also they are still being sold by Uncle Henry firearms,

john :cool

10. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reaper57 @ Apr 21 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]1230786[/snapback]</div>
    I think a while back Bobadebt said the newer versions have different knurling around the barrel where it attaches to the receiver.

11. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I have one I would be happy to provide, but don't know how to ship it.

12. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have one and the right muzzle and barrel as well as a sterling grip. I also have the means to cast it

13. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet.

Well, I am asking because I have a real mortin fin assembly on the way to me now. :)

If someone did a run I think they would get a decent response in the JY. :)

14. wuher da brewer

I took it apart for casting. I imagine I can get a mold put together some time this weekend.
    [​IMG]

15. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Evan...a real one :eek ???

Where did you get it from?

Markus

16. wuher da brewer

They're pretty easy to find here. There is always at least one or two at any given time on the auction sites. I occasionally run into them at local pawn shops.

17. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

Too cool.

18. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

Evan, great looking pistol there. Very nice...

And I am sure the kits would get a great responce here.

Maybe even casts of the Magazine alone ;) looks alot like power packs for blasters :) I know I'd pick up a couple of those...

19. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

I've got a mortar fin just waiting to be attached to something. And I only learned it was also on the hoth pistol recently. I got mine at a flea market, the entire shell painted bronze and made into a lamp. That's right, a lamp. I was surprised to see the part at all, and more surprised to realize I knew exactly what it was. A little work with a wire wheel and it was all better... now I only need everything else. :lol

20. jedeyenight

jedeyenight Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wuher.. Color me interested...
    been looking for one of these.

21. wuher da brewer

I got the molds started for the three receiver parts today. I'll get the 2nd half of the molds poured tomorrow. I still have to build frames for the grip, barrel, and muzzle.

22. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just saw a complete AR7 with correct knurling at a gun show for $200. Would've been fun, but I didn't want to upgrade from my resin version THAT bad.

23. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

I've got one of the kits produced before. I got it in trade for some work I did. All the parts are there and it looks like a really clean casting. If anyone is interested in it let me know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. wuher da brewer

I didn't have enough resin on hand to fill the mold, so this was just a test. The receiver was made in three parts.

I'm hoping to be able to offer either grip. I'll be casting them next. I have the molds for the barrel with and without the muzzle setting up now.

I would like to offer the singlepoint. I've been trying to buy one for almost 2 years now but have yet to find what I'm looking for.

[​IMG]

25. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Ooooo.... keep us posted Evan. It looks like you've already got quite a few prop geeks salivating (your's truely inlcuded :cheers )

26. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

I agree with RedTwoX, Wuher. I may not have the scratch right away, but if I know I can get one from you down the line... :D What you've got is looking great already. I think we're going to have a lot more Hoth rebel pistols out there soon. Any chance they used them on Endor, too?

27. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

The Imperial Officer in the Bunker ("You Rebel Scum") uses a variation of this pistol. The muzzle is different and I believe so is the scope.

None of the Rebels on Endor (Except HJan and Leia) where shown to have a pistol. ?But a little creative license can fix that ;)

28. thedap

thedap New Member

I'm glad Evan picked up the ball and is running with it, my mold finally bit the dust.....

I only have two frames left and I'm hangin onto them like a hungry dog holds onto a bone :D

I'm glad to see my work floating around out there, glad people are getting some enjoyment out of them.
    It was the most complex casting(s) I've tackled to date and I learned alot doing it.

can't wait to see some of these new efforts.

casters uber alles. :lol

Doug

P.S. it was a group effort over at the BBC to make these guns, there was alot of people working on this.
    can't take all of the credit, not by a long shot.